Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » When you're out and about and see strangers struggling with something and you can help do you? Why?

When you're out and about and see strangers struggling with something and you can help do you? Why?

Posted - October 22, 2017

Responses

I saw this young lady driving in my neighborhood. She slammed her fist on the steering wheel and she was crying. I was on my motorcycle and whipped over to her window and she asked me for directions. I pointed out the way to the college she was trying to find. ( the signs are confusing around here)
      October 22, 2017 7:41 AM MDT

That was a kind thing for you to do bh. Good job! Thank you for your reply! :)
      October 23, 2017 2:54 AM MDT

Yes I do. Why not?
      October 22, 2017 7:45 AM MDT

For someone who repeatedly says he doesn't like people it seems out of character. Thank you for your reply Ele.
      October 23, 2017 2:55 AM MDT

Not liking humanity and helping someone out are different, at least to me. Very few actually understand me.
      October 23, 2017 10:18 AM MDT

I'm sure there is logic in what you've just written above Ele but frankly it is over my head. What you just said makes no sense to me but it must make sense to thee or you would not defend it. SIGH. Thank you for your reply.
      October 24, 2017 2:46 AM MDT

Yes, unless of course it looks like a big bad guy, then I just let someone else do it.
      October 22, 2017 8:37 AM MDT

I would lend a hand but want it back unsullied.....:)
      October 22, 2017 9:35 AM MDT

A few years ago we saw a lady in a wheelchair wheel over to her car, get up and was having some difficulty collapsing the chair so she could put it in the car. We offered to help and she brushed us off saying she didn't need any help! Not even a "thank you but I can manage it". Just brusque/terse/seemingly annoyed. Go figger. Thank you for your reply NJ and Happy Monday. Folks usually appreciate an unsought helping hand. This lady was clearly not appreciative. Guess she was just having a very bad day! :(
      October 23, 2017 2:58 AM MDT

Some times offered help stinks Rosie......(and expression often used by one of my grand fathers ) 
    maybe it's their way of dealing with their disability and they are just angry at themselves through frustration because everything for them is just so much harder and being angry gives them more strength and determination to do things for them selves.....
      October 24, 2017 2:56 AM MDT

I have never been in her shoes NJ so I can't really speak to why she reacted as she did.  But even if offered help is unneeded/unwanted it seems to me one ought to be able to manage being polite  because the intention is worthy. Different strokes! I can't remember a time when help was offered to me that it offended me. I can only go by me since I've never been anyone else! Thank you for your reply m'dearie dear! :)
      October 24, 2017 3:17 AM MDT

NJ..different subject. I somehow inadvertently deleted your reply to my question about the benefits/downside of being wealthy. Apologies. What did you say if you don't mind repeating it?
      October 25, 2017 3:27 AM MDT

yes, ive done it before, ive run into people that have fallen and i cant lift them so i get them help instead
      October 22, 2017 3:24 PM MDT

I came across an older lady lying on the snow-covered ground. I couldn't lift her up so she told me to get her husband in the nearby house. He musta been really strong because he lifted her easily.
      October 23, 2017 12:33 PM MDT

I will try to help someone who looks to be having trouble with something.  I do it because I would want someone to do it for me.  It only takes a few extra minutes to do a good deed.
      October 22, 2017 6:39 PM MDT

Precisely! Thank you for your reply Spunky! :)
      October 23, 2017 2:59 AM MDT

It's an automatic response for me  to help where I can. 
      October 22, 2017 8:12 PM MDT

I've seen several experiments and news reports confirming that the more people there are to perceive a need for assistance or action, the less likely assistance tends to become since they usually expect another person to step in. Since then I vowed always to take the initiative in helping others, provided I make sure I'm not inadvertently getting in someone's way (a person's will to aid can also create more troubles).

Whether it's a stranger carrying heavy boxes across the town square, a middle-aged woman with heavy luggage slugging it across the uneven streets, two young people having their grocery bags rip in the middle of the avenue, a student who can't get his kitten (literally speaking) to return from a closed parking lot, or a delivery man who would appreciate someone holding open the door for a second, there's often something anyone can do, even if it's just a show of good intent. And it's always easy to both notice and help those confused by the city's layout.
      October 23, 2017 3:04 AM MDT