Active Now

Malizz
Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » HOW DO I GET RID OF AN APP ON MY SMARTPHONE?

HOW DO I GET RID OF AN APP ON MY SMARTPHONE?

this morning my Samsung Smartphone updated all my stuff.....it took almost a 1/2 hour!!

but when it was done, all the logos had been updated to newer ones, which is nice.

HOWEVER.....

I spotted AN AMAZON APP........now I DESPISE amazon; for creepy Bezos' way of treating his workers......but that's another story.

I have NO Idea how to get rid of it!!! I went to the PLay Store and it came up and said either 'update' or 'open'...no way of uninstalling!!

HOW THE HELL CAN THEY DO THIS?

I know there are apps installed on the phone that you need, but who the hell needs and Amazon app?

SO I AM DESPERATE FOR ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO GET RID OF THIS PIECE OF YOU KNOW WHAT FROM MY SCREEN!!!!

anyone?

please?

many thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Posted - October 24, 2017

Responses

1. Place smartphone on a hard surface.
    2. Smash it pieces with a ten pound hammer.
    3. Buy a stupid phone
      October 24, 2017 10:00 AM MDT

Hi Ben. The shopping app does allow me to uninstall it so I'm wondering if you have a different app.  I'm also wondering if it was actually preloaded and you never noticed it before or, if it was an automatic load with that update.   If either of those are the case, you won't be able to uninstall it, but you can disable it.  I don't know which phone you have but if it's the latest, go into settings, scroll down to Apps, go into that, then go into Apps manager, and see if that app shows up.  Click on it and see it you can uninstall it then or, if you can't, click on "disable."  If it's an older version, go into your Apps manager, click "more options," click "edit," then click to disable or uninstall, whichever comes up.  Then click OK. 
      October 24, 2017 10:51 AM MDT

A bit drastic, Element, but if I wonder if web-sites can be listed on it as spam, and blocked.

I am not familiar with the Smartphone, but is the file on the device itself only a conduit for on-line applications that are basically telephoned to you on demand - even if it and not you is the demander?   Can the instrument's own system be interrogated, either on itself or via an external computer, to determine what has been planted, so made open to being deleted?  The risk of course is that of also blocking what you do want!

In the end all you might be able to do is simply ignore the Amazon messages, but if it ever asks you to "update" it, don't. If Amazon eventually realises it is getting nothing from you, it might stop pestering you.

I think I am glad I don't have a Smartphone!

I once bought some clothes on-line from John Lewis, and it was only a dogged process of Blocking each message that eventually stopped a stream of ads from e-post addresses using their own departmental names. We have to face the fact that the ISPs, 'phone manufacturers etc are colluding to track us all so they can direct "personalised" (sic - what an ugly word!) or "targeted" (equally ugly!) advertising to us. 

They are developing methods working at street level by which the retailers install automatic message systems that detect your telephone by its GPS signal, and thus ping you ads based on its records of your purchases from that retailer when you are physically close to the shop. Easy to lessen the risk of such intrusion - keep your phone basic, don't leave it switched on, so it cannot be tracked (unless you genuinely are expecting a genuinely important call - do really receive that many?) ; don't use so-called "loyalty cards" and the like which exist for their benefit, not yours; spread your shopping randomly to reduce pattern-watching.   If you need a more sophisticated 'phone with Internet access etc, keep that at home as much as possible, and turned OFF when not in use; and carry a basic voice & text-only instrument when simply shopping. I cannot say how much protection these steps will give you; but at least make it tricky for them to use you!
      October 24, 2017 11:00 AM MDT

Shouldn't be a problem. Just go to Settings (looks like a blue cogwheel on my Samsung phone), then scroll down to the Device menu and select Applications. Under that menu you should find Application Manager. Select that and scroll down the list until you find the Amazon application (should be close the top if not at the very top). Touch that and the menu that opens should give you the ability to Uninstall. Select that and the Amazon Application should be removed from your phone.
      October 24, 2017 11:07 AM MDT

HEY MANY THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO REPLIED!!  I DID WHAT YOU ALL TOLD ME TO, AND VOILA, THE damn AMAZON WAS GONE!!!

NOW IF ONLY it was that easy to get rid of all the amazon slave shop warehouses..........but that's another issue!!

SO THANKS AGAIN ALL OF Y'ALL!!!

it was appreciated!!!
      October 25, 2017 10:39 AM MDT