Active Now

Malizz
my2cents
Danilo_G
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Did God have a wife, and if so where’d she go?

Did God have a wife, and if so where’d she go?

It was stated in a documentary that God — the Jewish, Christian, and Muslim God, that is — used to have a female companion, but then male dominance made it impossible to imagine such a powerful female being, and goddesses were no longer worshipped. Did this really happen?

Posted - October 26, 2017

Responses

i dont think so or we wouldve known about it
      October 26, 2017 1:42 PM MDT

My personal God is gender neutral, so I cant really say.
      October 26, 2017 1:57 PM MDT

I think I remember someone saying something like that before but I see no evidence of that in the Bible. Or in the Apocrypha.

October 26, 2017 2:16 PM MDT

Stu, come back to reality, the whole god thing is nothing more than myths.

Here is a little background to Mrs god.

Asherahancient West Semitic goddess, consort of the supreme god. Her principal epithet was probably “She Who Walks on the Sea.” She was occasionally called Elath (Elat), “the Goddess,” and may have also been called Qudshu, “Holiness.” According to texts from Ugarit (modern Ras Shamra, Syria), Asherah’s consort was El, and by him she was the mother of 70 gods. As mother goddess she was widely worshiped throughout Syria and Palestine, although she was frequently paired with Baal, who often took the place of El; as Baal’s consort, Asherah was usually given the name Baalat. Inscriptions from two locations in southern Palestine seem to indicate that she was also worshiped as the consort of Yahweh.

• Asherah, detail from an ivory box from Mīnat al-Bayḍāʾ near Ras Shamra (Ugarit), Syria, c. 1300 bc; in the Louvre, Paris.
      Asherah, detail from an ivory box from Mīnat al-Bayḍāʾ near Ras Shamra …
      Giraudon/Art Resource, New York

The word asherah in the Old Testament was used not only in reference to the goddess herself but also to a wooden cult object associated with her worship.

October 26, 2017 2:22 PM MDT

Yes.

Her name is God-zilla! Even Satin is afraid of her. I think I may have married her sister . . .   
      October 26, 2017 2:55 PM MDT

•  There may be other sources that claim GOD had/has a wife but there is nothing in the Scriptures (Bible or Tanach) that says God has/had a wife or is married. 
      October 26, 2017 4:08 PM MDT

God gave us a book to explain everything we need to know. As usual, some people think they have a better idea.
      October 26, 2017 4:22 PM MDT

God gave you nothing but crosses to plant on graves.
      October 26, 2017 7:06 PM MDT

There's one now!
      October 29, 2017 7:40 AM MDT

"and, if so,"
      October 26, 2017 6:46 PM MDT

Do you believe in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter bunny too?

lmao
      October 26, 2017 8:19 PM MDT

Q "Did God have a wife, and if so where’d she go?"
    It was stated in a documentary that God — the Jewish, Christian, and Muslim God, that is — used to have a female companion, but then male dominance made it impossible to imagine such a powerful female being, and goddesses were no longer worshipped. Did this really happen?

1. Where did God's wife go? Why, shopping of course. She's been at it since her husband announced that he's invited billions of his devotees for an indefinite stay and each one has different desires and expectations that need to be fulfilled.

2. The Jewish, Christian, and Muslim God is the same person as the Hindu God or the God of any other monotheistic faith. He's the one to whom all those religions ascribe the creation of the very same universe. The difference lies in how each faith sees and describes this same one God.
      October 27, 2017 5:03 PM MDT

• Home to mothers! BIG argument!
      October 28, 2017 7:31 AM MDT

He must have had a missus because where did all those angels come from? Then he dumped her.
    Satan must have had a mate as well to produce all those demon offspring. 
      October 28, 2017 3:20 PM MDT

No, he is a single parent.
      October 28, 2017 3:29 PM MDT