Active Now

Spunky
Slartibartfast
Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Why do Christians insist on Sunday worship when the God of the Bible made it clear to do so on the Sabbath which is Saturday.

Why do Christians insist on Sunday worship when the God of the Bible made it clear to do so on the Sabbath which is Saturday.

With Sunday worship you are possibly paying homage to Baal or any number of pagan devils and making it that much harder for the Lord to heed your prayers by you NOT heeding his commands.

Posted - October 29, 2017

Responses

i thought it's because God rested on the 7th day.....
      October 29, 2017 4:55 PM MDT

cause theyd rather do it sundays
      October 29, 2017 5:42 PM MDT

It has anti Semetic origins after the church split from the Jews.
    We can pray to God any day of the week at anytime and He will hear us. This post was edited by my2cents at October 31, 2017 1:00 PM MDT
      October 29, 2017 6:39 PM MDT

How do we know it's a he?
      October 31, 2017 10:21 AM MDT

I am just using the pronouns used in the Bible.
      October 31, 2017 10:27 AM MDT

First you need to decide which day (by name) your sky fairy started work to decide which day was the seventh day and as far as I know the day is not named anywhere.
      October 29, 2017 8:44 PM MDT

• The Word of God makes it quite clear that Sabbath observance was a special sign between God and Israel: “The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. "It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested. (Exodus 31:16-17). God's intent for giving the Sabbath to Israel was not that they would remember creation, but that they would remember their Egyptian slavery and the Lord's deliverance. 

There is no obligation for the New Testament believer to keep the Sabbath, and will also show that the idea of a Sunday “Christian Sabbath” is also unscriptural.  There is one time the Sabbath is mentioned after Paul began to focus on the Gentiles, “Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ" (Colossians 2:16-17). The Jewish Sabbath was abolished at the cross where Christ “canceled the written code, with its regulations" (Colossians 2:14).

This idea is repeated more than once in the New Testament: “One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord" (Romans 14:5-6a). "But now that you know God — or rather are known by God — how is it that you are turning back to those weak and miserable principles? Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again? You are observing special days and months and seasons and years" (Galatians 4:9-10)

Biblically speaking, there is no specific day in which to worship. If you want to worship or go to church on a Sunday, Saturday, or even a Tuesday then go ahead. There is no Sunday over Saturday or Saturday over a Sunday. They're all the same. We should worship GOD every day and not just one specific day.  As far as that go's, there is no command to set aside a specific day in which to commemorate the birth of Iesous (Christmas). There are only two ordinances that a Christian is to follow. The first is baptism and the second is Communion/Lord's Supper. Neither of which needs to be recognized on any specific day.

The problem with modern worship is that it contains too much pomp, ceremony, rituals and man-made rules and regulations, and too little genuine Bible-based worship done in spirit and truth. John 4:24  " God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”  

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 5, 2017 12:52 PM MST
      October 30, 2017 1:22 AM MDT

I've got to wonder which insecurities are at work in your psyche given all the venom that you seem compelled to direct towards others whose  beliefs you happen to disagree with. What is up with that?
      October 30, 2017 4:43 PM MDT

• I simply pointed out what the Bible had to say on this particular subject and what I have experienced in my life time, which, by the way, I should have clarified. Something I usually do. Using the Bible to answer a Bible question is something I do on a regular basis. That does tend to rub people the wrong way sometimes. However, I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with what I post. If the person that disagrees with me turns out to be correct, I'll acknowledge it and change my outlook accordingly.

If you believe that I have some sort of insecurities and have spewed venom, I have to disagree with you. A person has the right to believe and practice what they want but if what they practice and believe is contrary to Bible teachings I do and will point it out. I will say this in my own defense though. Because I am so frank, blunt, and politically incorrect, What I say may come across as an attack but it's not. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 31, 2017 12:59 PM MDT
      October 31, 2017 9:43 AM MDT

What venom? Correct me when I'm wrong. Let it be just. May it be strong.
      November 5, 2017 12:55 PM MST

Hi O-uknow. Are you Seventh Day Adventist?
      November 28, 2017 7:44 AM MST

Thank you.
      November 5, 2017 12:52 PM MST

• And thank you.
      November 6, 2017 1:12 PM MST

Not all Christian sects observe our current Sunday as the Sabbath. 

And keep in mind that the current calendar was not in effect back in the days when those words were handed down.
      October 30, 2017 4:39 PM MDT

The Christians were originally Jewish but went off the track with the resurrection myth. We still observe Shabbat on Friday evening and Saturday, per my synagogue's calendar...

https://www.psjc.org/calendar?date_start=specific+date&date_start_x=0&date_start_date=2017-11-01
      October 31, 2017 10:27 AM MDT

When Christ established a new reality between God and His creation, we Christians recognized what happened.  That's why we're Christians.

D. L. Moody said, "The Law can only chase a man to Calvary, no further." Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law so we are no longer in bondage to it.
      October 31, 2017 10:46 AM MDT

• Seventh day is the sabbath? All over the internet where did you get this from?
      October 31, 2017 2:49 PM MDT

When the Jews were under the Mosaic Law Covenant, they would have observed the Sabbath from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. That Covenant has been replaced with a better Covenant and as Hezekiah brought out, no special weekly Sabbath for Christians.

(Colossians 2:13, 14) Furthermore, though you were dead in your trespasses and in the uncircumcised state of your flesh, God made you alive together with him. He kindly forgave us all our trespasses 14 and erased the handwritten document that consisted of decrees and was in opposition to us. He has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the torture stake.
    (Hebrews 7:22) Jesus has accordingly become the guarantee of a better covenant.
    (Hebrews 8:5, 6) These men are offering sacred service in a typical representation and a shadow of the heavenly things; just as Moses, when about to construct the tent, was given the divine command: For He says: “See that you make all things after their pattern that was shown to you in the mountain.” 6 But now Jesus has obtained a more excellent ministry because he is also the mediator of a correspondingly better covenant, which has been legally established on better promises.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2010084?q=seventh+day+sabbath&p=par
    Should You Keep the Weekly Sabbath?

A Christian Requirement?

Since Christ fulfilled the Law, are Christians obligated to keep the weekly Sabbath? Under inspiration, the apostle Paul answers: “Therefore let no man judge you in eating and drinking or in respect of a festival or of an observance of the new moon or of a sabbath; for those things are a shadow of the things to come, but the reality belongs to the Christ.”—Colossians 2:16, 17.

Those inspired words suggest quite a change in God’s requirements for his servants. Why the change? Because Christians are under a new law, “the law of the Christ.” (Galatians 6:2) The former Law covenant given through Moses to Israel came to an end when Jesus’ death fulfilled it. (Romans 10:4; Ephesians 2:15) Did the commandment about keeping the Sabbath also come to an end? Yes. After saying that “we have been discharged from the Law,” Paul went on to refer to one of the Ten Commandments. (Romans 7:6, 7) So the Ten Commandments—including the Sabbath law—are part of the Law that came to an end. God’s worshippers, therefore, are no longer required to observe a weekly Sabbath.

The change from the Israelite to the Christian system of worship could be illustrated this way: A nation may change its constitution. Once the new constitution is legally in place, people are no longer required to obey the former one. Even though some of the laws in the new constitution may be the same as those in the former constitution, others may be different. So a person would need to study the new constitution carefully to see what laws now apply. Additionally, a loyal citizen would want to know when the new constitution went into effect.

In like manner, Jehovah God provided over 600 laws, including 10 main ones, for the nation of Israel. These included laws about morals, sacrifices, health matters, and Sabbath-keeping. However, Jesus said that his anointed followers would constitute a new “nation.” (Matthew 21:43) From 33 C.E. onward, this nation has had a new “constitution,” founded on two basic laws—love of God and love of neighbor. (Matthew 22:36-40) Although “the law of the Christ” includes instructions that are similar to those in the Law given to Israel, we should not be surprised that some laws are very different and that others are no longer required. The law requiring the observance of a weekly Sabbath is one of those that are no longer binding.

n
    A little about the day Christians are supposed to observe. (Luke 22:7-20
    https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2011088?q=calendar+nisan+14&p=par
    n
    n

November 3, 2017 7:34 AM MDT

Legally established by whom?

Under what constitution?
      November 3, 2017 3:46 PM MDT

Try reading the Bible and then, never mind. I know you want. 
      November 3, 2017 4:30 PM MDT

Your bible establishes legalities within the walls of your 
    Kingdom Halls. Outside your Kingdom Hall, it has no value to millions of people who were never introduced to its legalities established by self righteous and self glorified prophets. When your heavenly constitution of the world was not delivered to all man on Earth, there is a failure of equal legalities for all, in unity.
    There is a failure to communicate here, Tex, and it is not man's fault. Powerful words to instruct God's intention of creation to the inhabitants of his creation should've been far more than just a set of words saying do this, don't do that.
    Read the U S Constitution and go out and vote.

This post was edited by antibiotic at November 5, 2017 5:44 PM MST
      November 3, 2017 7:35 PM MDT

Trump can't save you, Hillary can't save you. Jesus saves. You should get to know God and Jesus.
      November 3, 2017 10:55 PM MDT

I know God and Jesus.God and Jesus. God and Jesus put Hilary on Earth to show us how crooked the Democrats are and cheat each other out of a primary election and put Trump on Earth to give you double the standard deduction to $12,000 for those filing singly and $24,000 for those filing jointly and a plan which calls for an expansion of the child tax credit, increasing its value to $1,600 from $1,000. The plan also provides an additional $300 credit for “non-child dependents” and creates a new “Family Credit.” Thais means that "you" Tex, will get an extra $300 for no reason (just because you have no dependent children). Praise Jehovah God in the name of Jesus. Bring that up in a discussion the next time you all meet in a Kingdom Hall to alter and modify more scriptures in the Holy Bible.
      November 4, 2017 6:57 AM MDT

So Trump is going to save you through lighter taxes, okay, I get it. 
    If he accomplishes that, will there possibly be any problems in government programs from lack of funding?
    If this is really a cure all, why didn't someone just reduce all of these taxes before?
      November 5, 2017 11:31 AM MST