Active Now

Slartibartfast
Spunky
Malizz
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » In countries/cultures where it's customary to eat dinner very late in the evening (10 pm), why aren't there ill effects as there would be in

In countries/cultures where it's customary to eat dinner very late in the evening (10 pm), why aren't there ill effects as there would be in

places where such a practice is considered to be bad dietarily and health-wise?

~

Posted - November 3, 2017

Responses

I don't know for sure, but one reason may be that, in those countries, the largest meal of the day would be the midday meal so that dinner would be more like our lunch.
      November 3, 2017 6:27 AM MDT

More than a year ago i began doing a late supper around 10 pm or later just before bedtime usually oatmeal soaked in milk for about an hour with stewed prunes and some cheese or meat following.  For a couple of weeks I was having trouble getting used to this but works ok now. 
    Reason for late supper was because I regularly go out around 5 pm and get home 9 pm or later. I have a late lunch so then a late supper is OK. 
      November 3, 2017 6:45 AM MDT

I'm willing to bet that even though it's consumed late night, your particular regimen as shown above is actually good for the digestive process because it doesn't include meat. 

:)
      November 3, 2017 6:47 AM MDT

• Generations of people can become accustomed to something. There are entire tribes where the lactose intolerance rate is almost 100%. Yet it's rare in Western nations, which seems to suggest that lactose intolerance is a "default" that can be overridden.

That said, if I eat that late I always get heartburn, no matter what it is that I eat. 
      November 3, 2017 11:05 AM MDT

not sure but my parens would wait till my father came home from work and we'd eat at 9:30 at night most of the time
      November 3, 2017 1:00 PM MDT

I have some cousins who live in Argentina which is one of those countries that has dinner very late in the evening but they have five smaller meals throughout the day but the biggest meal of the day is usually lunch which they have in early afternoon.

November 3, 2017 4:49 PM MDT