Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Celebrities » Who's the next assaulter/harrasser/molester? Is this real or a witch hunt?

Who's the next assaulter/harrasser/molester? Is this real or a witch hunt?

Is this a "Satanic Panic" or real? Is this the Mandela Effect?

WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Posted - November 4, 2017

Responses

I'm thinking that it's a bit like when someone is telling a story and the person listening has to "one up" them.

I've no doubt that all of these men have behaved badly; they're men (and humans). I'm not sure what people expect when we live under the rule of a man who has built his life and career around mistreating and assaulting women. Personally, I think it's outrageous that we're expelling people from the entertainment industry, cancelling shows, etc., while the epitome of such men sits in the White House.
      November 4, 2017 7:04 AM MDT

In no way, shape or form am I condoning sexual assault or harassment, but it makes me wonder why so many of these women are coming out with their stories when so many of these incidents happened a very long time ago.  To what end?  So, Harvey Weinstein and his ilk will be scorned for life, will be banished from the entertainment field or whatever field they're in, but it will not stop men (or women) from acting badly. 

In one of the most recent stories, Paz de la Huerta said that Weinstein raped her twice.  Maybe I can understand the circumstances of what happened the first time - he took her home, got himself into her house and had his way with her.  She never reported the rape to the police.  The second incident happened 10 days later, when he came knocking on her door.  Instead of calling 911, she let him into her apartment whereupon she claims he raped her again.  Why would any woman with a modicum of intelligence allow her rapist into her home? 

How many of these women allowed the sexual assault go unreported because they were afraid their careers would be negatively impacted?  Now that they have reached "stardom," and their careers are solid, now they rehash what happened. 
      November 4, 2017 8:13 AM MDT

• Many people don't report sexual assault right after it happens because they fear they will not be believed. Many decide that it's something they will keep to themselves, but when others come out with their own stories, they are now motivated to reveal what happened to them. And yes, they may ruin their career as well. If someone had harassed me at work and I knew that revealing it could threaten to completely derail what I want to do with the rest of my life, I probably wouldn't want to speak out about it either. But later, when I'm in a more secure position, I might see it as worth the risk.

Making murder illegal doesn't stop people from murdering, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't still be illegal. Likewise, people who molest and rape should still reap the consequences, even if their demotion from fame and success won't prevent others from doing the same thing (we know that seeing others get punished is often not much of a deterrent--people still rape, molest, murder, etc. even though they know there will be consequences). That said, these people might still be assaulting people; coming out with the stories can prevent them from hurting anyone else.

My point is not to say that these accounts of rape and assault must be true. I'm only responding to the skepticism with skepticism of my own.

November 4, 2017 4:46 PM MDT

A very thoughtful reply.  Thank you.  I agree that many women are too embarrassed or frightened to tell their stories.  And I agree that once the floodgates open, they feel more comfortable.  What bothers me are the ones like de la Huerta who have this terrible thing happen and then open their door to the same person so he can do it again - then are all up in arms about it.  If you are willing to go along with being assaulted to save your career, then you've made a deal with the devil.
      November 4, 2017 10:02 PM MDT

have no idea, hopefully nobody
      November 4, 2017 5:05 PM MDT