Active Now

Element 99
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » My new three month old kitten wont eat kitten food. What do I do?

My new three month old kitten wont eat kitten food. What do I do?

Image result for gifs of three month old kittens

I got a new kitten three days ago, but she wont eat. Her previous owner fed her human food and milk, but never catfood or water.  I leave a bowl of kitten chow out and some water, but she hasnt taken one bite. Will she eventually eat when she gets hungry enough?

Posted - November 5, 2017

Responses

So cute. 
    A lot of times, kittens that little will prefer the soft food. I would offer that and then slowly transfer to the dry food if you want. Mix a little in and until the soft is gone. 
      November 5, 2017 4:45 AM MST

I tried that. I even bought the expensive kind. She was only fed human food and milk. She is starting to lose weight , but I dont want to feed her human food or milk. Do you think she will eventually eat the kitten food if she gets hungry enough?
      November 5, 2017 4:52 AM MST

I know you don't want to but I would mix a little milk with the kitten food to maybe get her to eat. Then slow eliminate it. Water it down until she doesn't realize she is not getting milk. 
    She is being hard headed. I have never heard of a cat doing that...dogs all the time. Yes, the dogs always eventually did eat. 
      November 5, 2017 4:57 AM MST

Im going to try that right now. Ill tell you how it goes. Thanks again my friend. ;))
      November 5, 2017 5:04 AM MST

Hope it works. 
      November 5, 2017 5:22 AM MST

Yay, it worked. She didnt like it at first, but after a few licks, she ate some of the milk soaked dry food. Thank you so much my2cents, I was starting to get worried. ;)
      November 5, 2017 7:26 AM MST

Good, she was just needing something she recognized as food.
      November 5, 2017 8:02 AM MST

• Minced beef raw!and then gradually add cat food. Also if you spray a little feliway or America's equivalent near her feeding area this may help? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 5, 2017 5:12 PM MST
      November 5, 2017 5:45 AM MST

Carbonproduct
         Buy a bunch of "little" cans of cat food. Salmon, tuna, turkey, chicken, 
    Tuna in sauce etc...
    find out what she likes, just go through them all
    till she decides she likes one.
         She is gorgeous
    There is a brand "Fancy Feast"
    with Tuna Feast in Gravy
    Grilled....mix a little water in it to make a gravy,
    I had same problem. Went through a dozen
    kinds of cat food till she found one she liked.
    She loves it...
    but try them all till your baby
    chows down....
    Same with the dry food,
    find the one she likes
    that's not filled with grains
    and fillers.
         Milk is not good for cats so I have read and often been told.
    Because they can't digest it.
    You'll make her so happy when you find the one food
    she really likes.
    They are finicky to say the least.
    But she is beautiful...Good luck
    Got to keep her combed out
    with a little brush for sure
    since she has long hair
    so it won't mat up.
    Cheers

This post was edited by Baba at November 24, 2017 8:58 AM MST
      November 5, 2017 6:48 AM MST

Aw, thank you Baba. That isnt an actual picture of her but she looks EXACTLY like that. She is a little smaller, but everything else is the same. This kitten and her could be twins i swear. LOL 

Thanks for the advise, im going to go get some cans this after noon. ;))
      November 5, 2017 7:29 AM MST

Hi CP.  Just keep in mind that cats are grazers, especially when it comes to dry food.  A bowl is usually left out and they will eat when they're hungry.  

Right now, the problem is that the "breeder" didn't do his/her job and start to ween the kittens off their mother and onto the appropriate food.  So, it's going to be your job to do that.  Also keep in mind he's adjusting to being taken away from his mother & siblings and finding himself alone in new surroundings.  my2cents gave you good advice.  I'm not big on giving cow's milk processed for humans, to kittens.  I would buy some kitten replacement milk and mix it in with a high quality kitten chow.  You should also find some wet kitten food.  Put it in a separate bowl.  The milk mixed in with dry food shouldn't be for more than a couple of weeks.  By the time they are 4 months old, kittens should be eating dry food along with the wet food.  But, make adjustments based on how he responds/eats. 

Have you gotten him vet checked yet?
      November 5, 2017 7:26 AM MST

Thanks Harry. I didnt buy her from a vet, my daughters room mate had a beautiful cat who had kittens. They are pure bread something. No papers, and she was free. She has such a nice personality, I got her for Mason my grandson, and she is so mellow and sweet. She lets him pick her up and sleeps with him and me at night. She just lays in our arms like a limp noodle, purring really loud and never scratches us. I used my2cents advise and she ate a little milk soaked high quality kitten chow. Im going to use replacement milk next time with the mix. 

Im taking her to the vet tomorrow. We named her limp Lucy because she goes limp when you pick her up. She is not skid dish at all. :) 
      November 5, 2017 7:38 AM MST

That's great.  My internet is still running a bit slow so I didn't see Baba's advice when I posted.  You're doing all the right things.  I'm not going to go off on a tangent regarding my feelings about breeding and "accidental" breeding.  I'll get too aggravated and pissed off.  I don't want to harsh my mellow this morning. lol. 
      November 5, 2017 7:44 AM MST

• You can get kitten milk you know from vets
      November 5, 2017 8:08 AM MST

The lady that gave me the kitten also gave me some kitten milk supplement. Ive been mixing the kitten chow with it. She seems to like the kitten milk though. We will see. 
      November 6, 2017 5:44 AM MST

When my cat was really sick and wouldn't eat, my vet suggested I buy him baby food, particularly the meats with a very strong scent, like lamb. Our situation was a little different because he was just too sick and didn't want anything, but I found if I got the stuff that was highly pureed and used a medicine dropper to put a little in his mouth, he'd eat a few bites at a time. When he stopped eating and just spit it out, I'd end the feeding and come back to it a couple hours later. Eventually, his strength returned and he started eating it off a plate instead, but only very small amounts and it had to be room temperature or warmed. 

So, I would say keep the cat food out and watch her. I think she will eventually eat. Some cats are snobs about their water too- it has to be ultra fresh. Mine will actually meow at the sink until I turn the faucet on- they prefer it from the tap rather than in a dish, but they'll go for the water bowl when they're thirsty enough. If a day goes by and the cat won't touch her food, you can try what some of the others suggested, mixing it up in a slow transition. That's probably gentler on her tummy anyway.
      November 5, 2017 12:42 PM MST

Hi Just Asking. I tried my2cents suggestion with Babas take on milk supplement instead of milk. It worked for a bit, but now she wont touch it again. Im going to try the baby food next. Ill let you know how it goes. She might just be mule headed because she was so spoiled at her previous home. They fed her only human food and milk. I guess anyone who tried cat food after being used to human food would have a hard time swallowing it, pun intended. LOL ;)
      November 6, 2017 5:43 AM MST

• Maybe you could take it back to the store and trade it in for a puppy? 
      November 5, 2017 5:13 PM MST

Or a Ball Python. ;)
      November 6, 2017 5:39 AM MST

• Yes , or a puppy ;)
      November 7, 2017 5:10 AM MST

• In my opinion she is stressed and rightly so from the change of environment my cats get that slightly glazed eyes on firework night, give it time she will be ok
      November 6, 2017 8:52 AM MST

I think your right Strange1. She isnt use to 3 year olds carrying her around by the neck either. LOL (no animal has been hurt in this picture) ;+
      November 6, 2017 9:21 AM MST

I would boil up a little chicken and add it to some wet kitten food.
    Go on line to see what is the best food to feed a pet.
    Some it is not good for them and will make them sick.
    Most of the stuff you buy in the grocery store is not good.
    PetSmart or Pet Co. has much better food for pets IMO.

November 17, 2017 12:10 PM MST