Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » What's the worst weather you ever had to drive in/through? How did you survive it?

What's the worst weather you ever had to drive in/through? How did you survive it?

Posted - November 6, 2017

Responses

Driving down country with no moon in a kind of snow blizzard.....The snow flakes were huge and were being blown horizontal along the road and seemed to be heading straight for my van .....my head light picked up every flake and it felt and looked like a white out and could see on foor in front of the car........
    i had to turn my head lights off and drive on tiny side lights only.....
    ponce I did that I could see far up the road and drive at 30 mph...

i often ten drive on very misty roads in the country at this time of year.....lit can be a very clear night and you turn a corner and your consumed by a mist.....

there red are little or no fogs in England anymore Rosie.....only smokeless fules are allowed to be burnt over here 
      November 6, 2017 4:19 AM MST

Wow!  ".....smokeless..."? Wow NJ! You are so far ahead of us with regard  to that. Cleaner air to breathe for sure.  Those drives sound very mysterious like something you'd see in a movie. It sounds so serene and calm and quiet when all of sudden out of the blue a huge trucks comes heading straight for you! You've seen movies like that too I expect. We have what is called TULE FOG in California. Highway 5 is a very long highway connecting southern California with northern California. When my son lived in California near San Francisco I'd drive up several times a year to visit. One time that TULE fog enveloped me for miles. I was hugging the bumper of the truck ahead of me and I could barely see his taillights. Fortunately by the time I had to turn off that road to another the fog had lifted slightly or who knows WHERE I would have ended up!. But it was mighty spooky. Once when driving in Massachusetts there was a terrible rainstorm. It was dark at night and I was on my home from a visit with my then mother-in-law. My toddler son was in the back seat  all secured and sound asleep. The road was very curvy It was pitch black and scary. I couldn't see for part of the drive because the rain was blinding. I just prayed I'd get home safely. Those were the two worst. Once I hit a patch of black ice and lost control of the car briefly but fortunately I was alone on the road so no harm was done. All long ago and far away! Thank you for your informative reply NJ. I expect there wasn't much traffic where you were . :)
      November 6, 2017 5:12 AM MST

Where I live in NW London is a high point called Hampstead Heath.......the snow and ice stay on the ground for days and days after it melted everywhere else in London......many times I've got to the top of a hill and had to stop at a junction and skid all the way back down without hitting any parked cars.....,maybe two hundred yards I slid back down......it's such a good job no one was coming up behind me...lol
      November 6, 2017 5:41 AM MST

Oh my goodness NJ! That would be a nightmare to me. Skidding down backwards that far without hitting a car? You are GOOD m'dear. Now Hampstead Heath sounds very familiar to me. Was it ever in a book or movie? I've never visited your country sadly so I don't why it seems as if I have heard it  before and it has some kind of significance. Thank you for your reply. I think your Guardian Angel was watching over you every time for sure!
      November 6, 2017 5:50 AM MST

The Heath is where Dick Turpin plied his trade and robbed everyone.....

November 6, 2017 6:03 AM MST

Don't tell a soul but who was Dick Turpin? I can Google it NJ. I think it is something I SHOULD know but I'm not gonna lie to you and pretend I do when I don't. But I will. Thanks for the info! Google here I come! :) I'm back. Richard Turpin was a Highwayman (highway robber) who lived almost 300 years ago! He used an alias John Palmer at one point. His exploits have been mentioned in songs and plays and he was even compared to Robin Hood. So I think somewhere along the line I must have seen/read something about him and Hampstead Heath. What a character! In 1735 he was doing his stuff. That is a LONG time to be talked about. Immortality for thieves. Thanks NJ. This post was edited by RosieG at November 6, 2017 6:23 AM MST
      November 6, 2017 6:12 AM MST

I was driving over a pass in the mountains at night through thick fog with all my children.  The fog was so thick I had to drive with the drivers door open to see the line on the road.
     My generator failed so I had no headlights or interior lights.  I had driven the pass before and knew what a treacherous drive it was.  Scattered on the route were cliffs, sometimes on both sides of the road at the same time.  Was unable to see the side of the road and afraid to take the chance to pull over.  Drove over that pass with the door open at 5 miles per hour.  The most frightening drive I can remember. 
    This post was edited by Sunshine at November 6, 2017 5:13 AM MST
      November 6, 2017 4:48 AM MST

It sounds VERY SCARY Sunshine. We have TULE fog in California that can envelop you in white and that's all you see. It is on our main Highway 5 that goes from southern to northern California. Thank you for your thoughtful and informative answer and Happy Monday!  :)
      November 6, 2017 5:23 AM MST

Probably that time a nasty thunderstorm hit as I was out to pick up my sister. The wind was going nuts and the road suddenly started flooding and the rain was blinding so I, and everyone else on the road, stopped and waited for the chaos to end. I thought a tornado was going to show up because it was so crazy.

That sounds extremely scary Patch. It's a good thing everyone stopped because the cars probably would have been impossible to control! Hope you never have to experience something like that again! Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      November 6, 2017 5:53 AM MST

Well, one truck ended up in a ditch. I remember he went speeding ahead of everyone else when the storm opened up and lost control when all the water came rushing in. He was okay, but he was quite the dingleberry.
      November 6, 2017 5:57 AM MST

I think you are being kind to call him a "dingleberry". I had to look it up m'dear. I've heard it before but never really knew the definition. I do now! This guy was also a definite stupida** dumbhead! He could have crashed into someone for goodness sakes and hurt/killed/maimed! What a doofus! Thank you for your additional comments Patch! :)
      November 6, 2017 6:08 AM MST

A hailstorm on Bulli Pass. Nowhere to pull off and wait it out - some cars had their windshields shattered, I got out of it with a couple small dents. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at November 6, 2017 5:59 AM MST

What kind of vehicle do you drive Sbf that you only got a couple of small dents while others got shattered windshields? A tank?  Glad you made it out without much damage to your car and especially no damage to you.  Sometimes hail can be relatively HUGE and I'd hate to be out in it! Thank you for your reply and Hapy Monday! :)
      November 6, 2017 5:55 AM MST

I was driving a Volkswagen beetle. Just lucky I guess, the really big hailstones missed me.
      November 6, 2017 6:02 AM MST

Oh my gosh! I've had two volksies(both red) in the long ago and loved them. But they are nothing at all like a tank. YOU WERE LUCKY for sure. You must have been just agile enough to dart in and out among them. And of course your Guardian Angel could have been looking out for you. Mine is my dad. My sister's too. Everyone has one you know! :)
      November 6, 2017 6:26 AM MST

It snowed here one time. I stayed home as I feared for my life.
      November 6, 2017 6:04 AM MST

A n'oreaster that crippled the entire area? Certainly just ordinary snow falling wouldn't endanger your life tex. My son was born in Massachusetts during a n'oreaster. It took us 2-1/2 hours to drive 5 miles. No joke. They are scary. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday. Of course there is an outside chance that you are just teasing me. Are you?
      November 6, 2017 6:28 AM MST

Weeeell, I live in Texas. Never a 'n'oreaster' roun here. lol
      November 6, 2017 11:16 AM MST

Snow down south is bad because they are not used to it and don't budget for clearing road for it.
      November 6, 2017 2:37 PM MST

I thought there was a really thick fog I was driving through one time but it was just smoke coming from all the pot smokers sitting in the back seat obscuring my view. 
      November 6, 2017 6:13 AM MST

Ice....we got a room.
      November 6, 2017 6:20 AM MST

That was smart. Thank you for your reply m2c and Happy Monday to thee! :)
      November 6, 2017 6:29 AM MST