Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Slartibartfast
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » History » We can't know about things we know nothing about it. In all of human history OF WHICH YOU ARE AWARE who has had the greatest impact?

We can't know about things we know nothing about it. In all of human history OF WHICH YOU ARE AWARE who has had the greatest impact?

For GOOD
For EVIL

Why do you think that?

Posted - November 10, 2017

Responses

I shall exclude religious figures. You said "human", therefore I have some favorites. Thomas Edison was a childhood hero of mine, and he didn't even invent the electric light! Someone else did that and Edison only improved it. However, Edison invented the phonograph and saw it through to popular success. This became a major event in human history. Every day we all hear recorded music based on Edison's invention. Other heroes are: Walt Whitman, Frank Lloyd Wright, Henry Ford,  The Wright Bros., Louis Pasteur, and I gotta stop here. This post was edited by B.H.Wilson at November 11, 2017 3:25 AM MST
      November 10, 2017 7:43 AM MST

That is a mighty impressive list m'dear. Wasn't Tesla involved there somewhere? What about Einstein? Where would physics be without the theory of relativity?. I think I'm gonna ask that question! Thank you for your reply bh . Of course there is DaVinci and Pythagoras and Hawking and Kepler and Lincoln. What would the world be like without the knowledge they contributed? :)      
      November 11, 2017 3:30 AM MST

I left out many people because the list is so long. I doubt that anyone will believe this------- one day I was driving near  St. Clair college in Windsor, Ontario. I noticed someone on the sidewalk. It was Stephen Hawking in his wheelchair. (or one hell of a good immitation) 
      November 11, 2017 6:44 AM MST

I believe you bh. WHOA. That is something. I mean who is going to imitate his very sad physicality? I think he is amazing. His body failed him years ago but that mind keeps working.  Years ago I saw a Lights Out Episode...I think that was the show. You didn't see the guy narrating until the very last fadeout frame. Then you see a brain suspended in liquid in a large jar. That was many decades ago bh and I still see if as vividly as I did when I saw it. It was that shocking and unexpected. I was in Windsor, Ontario once when my then-husband and I visited relatives in near Detroit. We went under the Detroit  River (I think) to get to Windsor and had dinner and saw a show at a nighclub there. Gosh I was 20 or 21 at the time! That's the only place in Canada I've ever been!  All these many years later what are the odds that you would recount an experience there? I mean geez  I see  things like this all the time in life and it makes curioser and curioser about what's really going on.  Are we just  pieces o a board game that other forces are moving around. Oh dear. OK. You know what's coming. Thank you for your reply. So I know someone who actually SAW Dr. Hawking. As close as I'll ever get to him. I have all his books and have them of course!  :)
      November 12, 2017 7:57 AM MST

Jesus.
      November 10, 2017 7:50 AM MST

Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday.
      November 11, 2017 3:32 AM MST

Well, in all of human history, the person who has by far had the most impact on my life is...me.
      November 10, 2017 8:16 AM MST

Really? Not your parents? Without them there would be no you would there? Food for thought as you ponder the immense implications of that bit of wisdom. Thank you for your reply tom.
      November 11, 2017 3:33 AM MST

I thought you were asking about positive impacts in my life.  Psychological, spiritual, and emotional abuse does not qualify.

The answer was slightly tongue in cheek---being born was the sine qua non (without which nothing) of any other potential impacts---good or bad.
      November 11, 2017 1:06 PM MST

I had no way of knowing what your relationship or experience was at the hands of your parents tom. I'm sorry they were so lousy. However YOU are the one who brought it up not me. I just took it to its logical conclusion following your lead. There are a zillion people you could have mentioned but chose not to. Also not my doing. I just read what you said which is why I said what I said. SIGH. Communication is a two-way street. I ask. You answer. I respond. You respond. Hopefully there is relevance and logic to all of it. :) Also there is nothing in my question that limits your answer to a POSITIVE impact. Who has had the greatest impact on your life means plus or minus, good or bad, evil  or angelic, helpful or destructive. It's wide open and you get to choose. I guess I beat that horse to death so I'm gonna move on! This post was edited by RosieG at November 12, 2017 7:42 AM MST
      November 12, 2017 4:37 AM MST

Jesus.
      November 10, 2017 8:27 AM MST

Jesus because he said " turn your guns into plowshares."  Then get a dog instead of guns.
      November 10, 2017 9:24 AM MST

I'm not a gun person either Kg. Thank you for your thoughtful reply! :)
      November 11, 2017 3:24 AM MST

Issiah 2:4 They will beat their swords into plows and their spears into pruning knives. .... all the nations will convert their weapons of war into implements of peace
      November 11, 2017 4:09 AM MST

Yes guns are a very peaceful implement. 
      November 11, 2017 6:52 AM MST

They can and are used as peacekeepers now. In the futre, as Issiah says they will not be needed....who is gonna try to fight Jesus as He rules and reigns?
      November 11, 2017 8:23 AM MST

not sure
      November 10, 2017 2:47 PM MST

The person who has had the most impact to this day is Jesus Christ. He is the greatest gift Jehovah God has bestowed to mankind, whether people appreciate it or not. (John 3:16) This post was edited by Autumnleaves at December 27, 2017 12:06 AM MST
      December 26, 2017 11:32 PM MST