Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » If Scientology is a religion what is worshipped? To whom do they pray? In whom do they believe? Where is the altar, icons, purpose?

If Scientology is a religion what is worshipped? To whom do they pray? In whom do they believe? Where is the altar, icons, purpose?

Posted - November 15, 2017

Responses

• Here's the link

https://lmgtfy.com/?iie=1&q=who+do+scientologist+pray+to%3F
      November 15, 2017 7:14 AM MST

I think it has to do with some alien dude or something. I'm not too sure as I am not a scientologist. All I know is that's it's some freaky deaky cultish thing.
      November 15, 2017 12:27 PM MST

That it is.   Actress Leah Remini, a former Scientologist,is involved in an expose. She and a former BIGSHOT Scientologist have been interviewing former members. The stories they tell of what they endured is unbelievable.  That any "normal" person would buy into any of it strains credulity. To top it off it costs tons of money to make progress in the religion. Each step to being a better you costs thousands of dollars. There's a price list in fact that was shown on one occasion. It's a vast scam  that is gibberish nonsense yet it hooked and hooks thousands. Maybe millions. I don't get it. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday Patch! :)
      November 16, 2017 1:44 AM MST

The South Park episodes "roasting" Scientology and Mormonism were hilarious.
      November 16, 2017 11:24 AM MST

I prey only that Nature doesn't kick back hard for polluting this earth that took it billions of years to create through countess trials of Evolution.....  

Religion only came about when man evolved and hit on a master plan to screw with every ones minds for a few peoples own personal gains.....

November 15, 2017 4:53 PM MST

Some people would disagree with thee NJ.  There are those who are  batsh** crazy phonies who SAY they are religious. Go to church. Memorize bible verses. Self-rightous SOB's. They are the racists and  bigots and EVANGELICALS who support a sexual predator.  Phone baloney liars is what they are.  There are others, however, who are kind and treat their fellow humans with respect and good will. They go out of their way to be helpful. Believing in something greater than themselves gives them comfort. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with that. The key to me is not what you say you are or what you say you believe. It is simply how you treat others.  To ridicule such people I think is unkind and unnecessary. In my opinion. I don't get why folks attack others for their political/religious  beliefs..often viciously and cruelly. They don't attack others for food preferences or clothing preferences or color preferences. I like jazz and classical music. Maybe you don't. So what, right?  Anyway if people are kind and thoughtful and respectful and polite and help rather than harm others what does it matter what they believe? Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday.
      November 16, 2017 1:52 AM MST

There is nothing better than to help others in need Rosie  while you yourself is fit and strong.....

To make out though that there is some kind of living being out there in the far reaches of the known universe that is all knowing thing is just plain rediculous......

Man invented God to control the ignorant masses and God help you if you didn't worship him and pay him your hard earned money........
    Disbelivers suffered such horrendous tortures which ended in the loss of your head......

Sounds the greatest money spinner ever  to me Rosie ....and it's still going on even now.......

Churches rake in billions of pounds/dollars every day......the hierarchy of them live the lives of kings.....

I'd sooner live with thieves then those like the Pope......at least theives don't take everything.....

Surly ,a honest religious person would be penny less and give all his wealth to the poor and needy..... 
      November 16, 2017 8:18 AM MST

Why does it disturb you so if people believe in things you don't NJ? You clearly look down on them and feel superior to them simply because you don't believe what they do. If it directly affects you adversely of course you would care. Your own self-interest would cause you to care. When US pols include religious beliefs in their legislation or attempt to do so I get furious! Because it will affect me without my consent. But if they believe in things that have nothing whatsoever to do with me I don't care. It's none of my business. We are ll wired differently. We should allow one another to believe whaever we want PROVIDING it doesn't negatively impact us.  You might worship sunflowers for example. So what? How can that hurt me? Some people believe in reincarnation. So what? No one KNOWS what lies on the other side of life. It is all conjecture. Need to believe. Imagination. Hope. Now some religions are not my cuppa tea. Going to confession for instance. What does that do? Cleanse you until you return and confess more of what you did wrong? Is confession a get-out-of-jail free card?  Makes no sense. But just because it's not my cuppa tea doesn't mean those who engage in it don't find comfort in it. It's not for me to say what is right or wrong about what you believe. I dunno. Life is complicated enough without setting up right and wrong and expecting others to comply with it. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday.
      November 17, 2017 2:51 AM MST

Well I don't have anything good to say about Scientology.  But I would point out that many religions do not have "altars" or "icons" and as far as "purpose" are simply fellowship with God and one another. which reflects our fellowship with God.  The U.S. government for many years did not consider Scientology a religion at all.  Then they changed which - does that make them any more a "religion" just 'cause the govt says they are?  Not what I believe.  But then belief is personal.  If people want to live that way then why not let them.  I have my own religious beliefs which are rather more conventional but which, as you can see, some people choose to mock and belittle. 
      November 16, 2017 8:30 AM MST
  • D&D

Rumour has it that Scientology hold secrets that can ruin CIA/FBI/some upper level folks. So essentially that was how they got 'recognised' as a religion legally in the US.
      November 16, 2017 10:16 AM MST

I'm not aware of any process to be "legally" recognized as a religion by the government.
      November 16, 2017 11:09 AM MST

Yes, there are forms to fill out to become a 501c3 non profit organization whose donations are tax deductible. 
      November 16, 2017 11:14 AM MST

But that doesn't specifically recognize you as a religion ... since anyone can get that status, who meets the criteria for a non-profit.
    Nor does NOT having that status say you are not a religion.

To be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, an organization must be organized and operated exclusively for exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3), and none of its earnings may inure to any private shareholder or individual. In addition, it may not be an action organization, i.e., it may not attempt to influence legislation as a substantial part of its activities and it may not participate in any campaign activity for or against political candidates.

The exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3) are charitable, religious, educational, scientific, literary, testing for public safety, fostering national or international amateur sports competition, and preventing cruelty to children or animals.  The term charitable is used in its generally accepted legal sense and includes relief of the poor, the distressed, or the underprivileged; advancement of religion; advancement of education or science; erecting or maintaining public buildings, monuments, or works; lessening the burdens of government; lessening neighborhood tensions; eliminating prejudice and discrimination; defending human and civil rights secured by law; and combating community deterioration and juvenile delinquency.

This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at November 16, 2017 11:20 AM MST
      November 16, 2017 11:18 AM MST

There are more qualifications to be recognized as a church.  Has to do with number of service,  number people attending and the percentage of giving by the public. 
      November 16, 2017 11:25 AM MST

Actually, there is no qualification for the number of services (other than "regular" - which could be weekly, monthly, quarterly, etc) ... or congregation size ... or how much is given to it.

In fact, reading from the IRS website, the decision guidelines are so vague as to be arbitrary and subjective.

- - -

The term church is found, but not specifically defined, in the Internal Revenue Code. With the exception of the special rules for church audits, the use of the term church also includes conventions and associations of churches as well as integrated auxiliaries of a church.

Certain characteristics are generally attributed to churches.  These attributes of a church have been developed by the IRS and by court decisions.  They include:

• Distinct legal existence
    • Recognized creed and form of worship
    • Definite and distinct ecclesiastical government
    • Formal code of doctrine and discipline
    • Distinct religious history
    • Membership not associated with any other church or denomination
    • Organization of ordained ministers
    • Ordained ministers selected after completing prescribed courses of study
    • Literature of its own
    • Established places of worship
    • Regular congregations
    • Regular religious services
    • Sunday schools for the religious instruction of the young
    • Schools for the preparation of its members

The IRS generally uses a combination of these characteristics, together with other facts and circumstances, to determine whether an organization is considered a church for federal tax purposes.

November 16, 2017 12:23 PM MST

Q "If Scientology is a religion what is worshipped? To whom do they pray? In whom do they believe? Where is the altar, icons, purpose?"

If the same questions were asked about Buddhism then "In whom do they believe?" would I suppose be the easy one to answer.
      November 19, 2017 2:17 PM MST

I believe Scientology is considered a cult and not so much a religion.
      November 29, 2017 10:47 PM MST