Discussion » Questions » Legal » Non-Disclosure settlements protect guilty perps and muzzle vics. Why would ANY Vic agree to it?

Non-Disclosure settlements protect guilty perps and muzzle vics. Why would ANY Vic agree to it?

Posted - November 15, 2017

Responses

Rather than shoot off a response off the top of my head, I did a little research:

The Non-Disclosure Agreement. An NDA is typically put to use any time that confidential information is disclosed to potential investors, creditors, clients, or suppliers. ... Without such a signed agreement, any information disclosed in trust can be used for malicious purposes or be made public accidentally.

...Seems to make sense.
      November 15, 2017 10:44 AM MST

Perp/Vic is what I'm discussing in my question. If you are talking about anything other sexual abusers who settle with their victims by paying them off and forcing them to sign non-disclosure agreements you are on a different page than I am tom. In business some things require confidentiality. Trade secrets for example. When you leave a company for a competitor you are not going to be ALLOWED to disclose any business secrets or you will be sued and so will that company. That makes sense. You don't give your competitors' access to how they can take you down. But a sexual predator deserves no such consideration. In my opinion. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday.
      November 16, 2017 2:32 AM MST

I disagree with your assertion, Rosie.

I work at a hospital ... we are constantly facing lawsuits not because we actually did anything wrong, but because people think hospitals are bottomless money wells.  (Thanks to the media and politicians, who don't know anything about real healthcare finances/economics.)

The majority of the time, the person can be talked out of the lawsuit when presented with the fact that there was no malpractice.
    But sometimes, when the person wants to go ahead anyway ... even though there was no malpractice, it is often less expensive to settle out of court than pay the attorneys' fees for a long court battle.  There is ALWAYS a "non disclosure agreement", mainly to prevent either party from saying they won - and preventing the possibility of using the media as a weapon to destroy reputations.
      November 15, 2017 10:59 AM MST

• False premise on multiple accounts.
    For starter non-disclosers are typically signed upon hiring.
    Second, in the cases they are signed after a victimization they are signed in the agreement that the issue was solved according to both parties under the condition that there is no further litigation needed.
    Third, the vast majority on NDA's  are to protect trade secrets, business dealings, and research from competition.
      November 15, 2017 11:15 AM MST

You are confusing non-disclosure agreements and non-disclosure settlement.  The NDA are usually an employment document.  Non-disclosure settlements are when a law suit is settled out of court with the contingent that the settlement will never be discussed with anyone outside of the litigation.
      November 15, 2017 3:04 PM MST

• Correct but Non-disclosure settlements are still such because there is an attached Non-Disclosure agreement.   Besides, NDS is what Rosie is obviously referencing.
    NDAs and NDSs are both related is the point. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 15, 2017 3:34 PM MST
      November 15, 2017 3:10 PM MST

Usually a settlement just has a confidentiality clause; there is no separate nondisclosure agreement.  It might be done differently in other parts of the country.  When I have done nondisclosure agreements, they were employment and/or business related.
      November 15, 2017 3:32 PM MST

Think!
      November 15, 2017 3:02 PM MST