Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The purpose of debate is to reach a conclusion/consensus. Otherwise debating is just propagandizing/proselytizing/purposeless. Isn't it?

The purpose of debate is to reach a conclusion/consensus. Otherwise debating is just propagandizing/proselytizing/purposeless. Isn't it?

Why do we still pro/con debate guns? It is a waste of time. Just hot air. Each side presents its ordinary typical standard nondescript never-changing predictable repetitive unoriginal views. They never change. They are always boringly the same. Pro/con repeatedly on this issue achieves nothing, is worth nothing, will change nothing. Unless a miracle occurs. Don't hold your breath. Save it for future discussions that are valuable/useful/promising. If such exist in this political climate which is an unknown.  :(

Posted - November 16, 2017

Responses

I always thought the purpose of a debate was learning and sharpening rhetorical and public speaking skills.  More of an academic exercise.  My brothers debated in college.  
      November 16, 2017 6:04 AM MST

I don't see much point either. The personal right to firearms is engrained into our Constitution.
      November 16, 2017 6:04 AM MST

• Evryone knows I'm pretty pro-gun right.   I enjoy shooting and collecting firearms.   Part of it is visceral, part of it is being an outdoorsman, part of it is the inner hobbyist engineer in me. I have an interest in everything from hunting firearms,  military curios and relics, to modern military inspired sporter rifles, even handguns even though I don't currently own any.   I can be that and still see there needs to be a real debate and consensus. Not the mamby-pamby BS both sides have payed lip service to.

It can be done in my mind.   I personally think what needs to happen first is both sides need to move their mules to sidelines and bring their educated and honest representatives willing to work it out to the table.  Screw the hardstance fringes on both sides.  Look at the 1968 unregistered machine gun and illegal gun amnesty.   One side saw it as a gun grab ( logical worry but turned out to be false) and the other side felt it wasn't enough and wouldn't accomplish anything.  Know what though?  IT WORKED.   It's just one example were a solution to a problem was accomplished while not stepping on the toes of others.   The mules will say "you can't have it both ways". That's true in a sense but at the same time it isn't  or at least have to be, about having it " both ways".  We have plenty of past examples were a common middle ground was reached and the rights to arms were still secured and enhanced responsibility of that right and security was accomplished.

There is a problem.   Part of it is the industry, p[art of it is the people, and yes, part of it is a mental health and culture problem that is beyond the just a weapons debate,.
    I do believe that people should and do have a n innate right to arm themselves with small arms for various reasons, that doesn't mean that I feel there's a right to use it as vent or a toy either.
      November 16, 2017 6:32 AM MST

Luke 4:5 And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. 6 And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.

"Delivered unto me," get it? Satan is the god of earthly authority. And Satan wants people helpless. Satan is also the angel of light: an inspiration from him always seems like the most brilliant idea you ever heard. But anybody who didn't get the inspiration can see that it is utterly stupid.

So even though you think you are discussing politics, it is in fact a religious discussion. 
      November 16, 2017 7:19 PM MST