Active Now

my2cents
Malizz
Danilo_G
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Politics » The Congressional Hispanic Caucus refuses membership to a hispanic Congressman. Identity Politics at work?

The Congressional Hispanic Caucus refuses membership to a hispanic Congressman. Identity Politics at work?

Posted - November 17, 2017

Responses

Don't know what "Identity Politics" are.  But I guess any group has the right to refuse membership to someone if they want.  Of course if they feel it gives them the right to determine who or what is "Hispanic" then they have gone wrong. 
      November 17, 2017 5:46 AM MST

Identity Politics is when they try to use our differents against to cause us to fight over nothing. Be it gender, race, orientation, faith, class, or any other way they can divide us and tell us how to vote based on those divisions. This post was edited by my2cents at November 17, 2017 6:08 AM MST
      November 17, 2017 5:52 AM MST

I think that is what is called "divide and conquer" and is as old as politics is old.   If we did not see each other as "different" then we might see we have more in common than we have differences.  
      November 17, 2017 6:16 AM MST

• Sounds racist.
      November 17, 2017 8:08 AM MST

Methink membership can be denied if political views conflict with caucus views. Ethnicity gives you a chance for membership but does not guarantee it. These are my guesses.
      November 17, 2017 10:17 PM MST