Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Once upon a time bipartisan Pols passed legislation to protect we the people and the environment. One by one they are rescinded. Why?. Why?

Once upon a time bipartisan Pols passed legislation to protect we the people and the environment. One by one they are rescinded. Why?. Why?

We are now on our own all alone. Government protects business from being accountable to consumers. It protects manufacturers' from being accountable for environmental pollution. It protects the wealthy from paying money to help run the country. Government protects itself by maintaining opaque fuzzy visuals, telling lies, denying what is and insisting on what isn't. This is progress according to some.  Are you one of them? Excluding the wealthy because y'all are doing just fine and getting fatter and fatter,  what do the rest of us do as we die from lack of protections covering food safety, meds safety , cosmestics safety, air quality, water safety? How is this better for us?

Posted - November 17, 2017

Responses

Quite a litany of grief but most of it fanciful.  You apparently don't work in an industry that is heavily government-regulated to the point of harassment.  Accountable to consumers? Aren't we all consumers?  If they are not "accountable" then don't buy their products.  Doesn't that make sense? If no one buys then they will go out of business.  This is the kind of rant of someone that seems totally dependent on the government.  Do you believe everything the govt tells you? If you see a wrong then fight to right that wrong - don't look to the government to do it for you.  And your "we the people" please understand is an artificial construct - it doesn't exist in reality. Envying and bedeviling the wealthy may be fun but until you work as much as they have and sacrificed as much as they have and managed as much as they have of course they are going to have more power - that is the natural order of things. Why not try cultivating them rather than railing against them - you might learn something from them just as they might learn something from you! I do not trust the so-called "food industry" which is why I am very careful about where I get my food and who grows it and how it is grown. Same with meds which so far a have stayed away from.  Ditto cosmetics as I use very little.  Town where we live appointed me to an ad hoc committee on conservation where water safety and air quality, environmental issues are uppermost and I have done my best to serve my community's interest.
      November 17, 2017 6:38 AM MST

Are you saying that the government should not regulate any businesses?  So, are you OK with rescinding EPA regulations limiting the use of coal?  Do you think that health inspectors should be eliminated so that restaurants and other food distributors can neglect keeping their businesses clean and safe and their food safe for public consumption?  How about removing regulations about where toxic chemicals can be dumped - want to remove those as well?  There is a reason why all those regulations were enacted - because people and businesses tried to get away with lowering safety standards to save money.  Perhaps there has been over-regulation in some areas, but I can assure you that if there weren't regulations, the air in this country would look like China's and we'd all be choking to death trying to breathe. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at November 20, 2017 1:33 PM MST
      November 17, 2017 6:46 AM MST

Came back to try and find your comment so I could respond. Thank you. 

"Enacting regulations" , esp at the federal level, is nothing but hot air unless they are enforced.  And what we get is that more and more of our tax money goes to create jobs for our politicians and those they are responsible to.  And then those people use those jobs to create their own power base where they can play the big shot and selectively enforce or punish at the local level.  The only positive progress happens when changes take place at the community level where local people get involved and care enough to do something about it.  I am not against reasonable regulations but do not support their being used for political purposes which we know of course they will be. 
      November 17, 2017 7:49 AM MST

There are certain regulations that can only be made at the federal level, i.e., the Keystone Pipeline.  There is only so much you can do at the local level.  I'm not sure what things your ad hoc committee controls regarding air/water pollution and I'm not sure how big/small your town is.  We can enact all the laws you want on a local level, but federal law trumps all of it when push comes to shove. 
      November 17, 2017 8:20 AM MST

I'm sorry  Spunky I always just assumed you were a man! Is not "my" committee but I sit on it and all we do is make recommendations to our Conservation Commission.  Keystone in my opinion was not a great idea but it received political backing. "Federal law", as I see it, is basically only a morass of local interests.  Of course I am no expert and my husband and I just try to get on the best we can. 
      November 17, 2017 8:34 AM MST

Not to worry - you aren't the only one who thought I was a man. :)  I understand your role in the committee and we have federal committees and commissions for everything, too.  Recommendations don't hold much water if the powers that be want to do something else.  They will find a way to get around it.  It seems to me that the feds should only get involved when it's something that affects everyone in every state - human rights, voting rights come to mind.  States rights seem to have been eroded over time and, yes, the feds sometimes do what is best for the people making the decisions rather than the people who have to live with the decisions once they're made. 
      November 17, 2017 9:46 AM MST

This is definitely one administration that is NOT going to give a shit about human rights.  
      November 17, 2017 9:53 AM MST

Or many other rights!
      November 17, 2017 10:15 AM MST

So true.  
      November 17, 2017 10:31 AM MST

:):):)
      November 19, 2017 4:57 AM MST

Like those poor harassed business people who built the Keystone pipeline ?
    ref: "Keystone Pipeline leaks 210,000 gallons of oil in South Dakota"

This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at November 17, 2017 8:16 AM MST
      November 17, 2017 8:05 AM MST

Thank you for reply og.
      November 19, 2017 4:59 AM MST

They are in the way of business/profit
      November 17, 2017 7:58 AM MST

EXACTLY! EXACTAMUNDO! PRECISELY! It's always all about the money. The greedy bast**rds don't give a rat's a** about anything including their own family's health. Talk about STOOPID! SIGH. Thank you for your reply JakobA.  Just thought of another question>
      November 19, 2017 5:00 AM MST

It's a discouraging trend Rosie.  Every new thing this man and his administration does is a big loss for any progress we have made in the years before him.  It's all about business, not the lives of everyday people.  Sadly, those that still support this man won't see it until it personally affects them.

November 17, 2017 9:57 AM MST

Unchecked he will have eliminated all health/safety protections for us. But they are so stoopid they don't realize they harming the health/lives of their loved ones as well.  Discouraging is an un erstatement m'dear. It is terrifying/horrify/evil! Thank you for your reply PeaPod.
      November 19, 2017 5:03 AM MST

I do have some good friends that supported Trump.  They are actually very intelligent and decent.  But they have voted Republican for as long as I can remember.  I think most of us respond to what affects us.  I am very worried about healthcare and taxes and his plan is going to hurt most people imho.  I don't like him as a person from what has been shown to me in the media for decades.  I find him crude, rude, and impulsive.  These are not qualities I admire in anyone.

Good to see you out there Rosie.  
      November 19, 2017 8:57 PM MST

Among our family and friends we have just one Republican PeaPod. The rest of us are Liberal Dems. So when he is with us we simply avoid politics. I believe Trump is about the most evil and vile human being that has ever been born. Yet his fans are legion. That does not speak well of them in my opinion. The phony religious folks who turn a blind  eye to his despicable treatment of women and his devious and illegal business dealings have decided their fate in supporting him.  They can never undo the damage their electing him has done. Never. They can never atone for it. The sad thing is they have pulled all of us into the nightmare and they don't care. I have no sympathy for them at all. My sympathy  is for us..we the people who knew what he was and refused to vote for him. SIGH. We may all die at his hand if he pushes the button and begins the war to end all wars. A nuclear war . His finger is itchy. Woe is us. Thank you for your reply m'dear! :)
      November 20, 2017 3:44 AM MST