Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » What is a good way to herd people away from stupidity?

What is a good way to herd people away from stupidity?

Posted - November 17, 2017

Responses

Realize that stupidity is the cherished birthright of all people and they will not give it up.  That people cannot be "herded" and that  Above all don't make yourself superior to them.  
      November 17, 2017 6:42 AM MST

Too late...I am superior to them.
      November 17, 2017 10:20 AM MST

Mandatory education is the only way to ATTEMPT to "herd people away from stupidity".
      November 17, 2017 6:58 AM MST

You can only educate the ignorant. Stupid people can't learn.
      November 17, 2017 10:22 AM MST

If you are defining "stupid" other than "ignorant", you are correct.
    However, since Weylon didn't say WHAT type of "stupid" he meant, I went with "ignorant" ... with the caveat of "attempt", because there are even some ignorant people who revel in their lack of education and believe it is something to be proud of.
      November 17, 2017 11:39 AM MST

If it were not for stupidity who would make up all those stupid jokes -like about the thieves who stole a box of calendars and they each got 12 months. 
      November 17, 2017 7:01 AM MST

Through Meditation
    one can obtain Enlightenment
    End of Stupidity
    with the door to wisdom being opened.
      November 17, 2017 7:04 AM MST

• Nobody here has it right.

You have to bring the hurt back to being stupid.
    True knowledge only comes from pain.   Be it physical pain, economic and money pain, or emotional pain.   Once it hurts, then you learn.
      November 17, 2017 8:04 AM MST

I respectfully disagree.
    Some people are too stupid to learn from pain, whatever the type.  Instead, they blame others for it.

I know people who won't see a doctor, yet constantly complain about their ailments.

And there's the many examples of people who live in poverty, but instead of helping themselves or their children get an education to get better jobs and move out of poverty - they complain about "the man" keeping them down, and expect others to "do something" for them.

Emotional pain?  There are thousands of people who live in abusive relationships, who refuse to leave because "I can change him/her".

November 17, 2017 8:36 AM MST

• It doesn't hurt them enough.

All the coddling and sympathy gets in way of the lessons..  \

When it truly hurts and aren't given some THERE THERE,  you learn, you change.  Sure there are always gonna be a couple of morons who never learn.   Let the wolves have at 'em. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 17, 2017 10:23 AM MST
      November 17, 2017 8:47 AM MST

Learn what?  We don't want to be in pain so why would we even want to learn?  Seems to me then all we are learning is to be in pain and hurt.  And is that the way we want to live our lives?   We would much rather be stupid then. 
      November 17, 2017 9:03 AM MST

I think once we feel initial pain that we will do what we can to learn so we avoid pain. To gain pleasure or avoid pain is seemingly the motive for most things in life.
      November 17, 2017 9:14 AM MST

Yes I agree.  Unless we get so into pain or, as many people seem to, use it as contrast to make our pleasure feel even better. 
      November 17, 2017 9:16 AM MST

• Correct. Pain and discomfort builds strength.
      November 17, 2017 9:35 AM MST

• No pain, no gain.  The hedonistic imperative is losing philosophy.

You're right, in that we are adverse to pain.   Which is way we learn from it as to avoid in the future.

Examples:   Child puts finger inflame.   He learns it hurts and not to do it again
    A person loans money to flaky friend to bail them out and never gets repaid.   Person A learns not to lend money out willy-nilly
    A women sleeps with the first guy who calls her pretty and is never called again and ends up heartbroken and feeling dirty......  Learns to be more selective and cautious with herself.
    Construction worker bangs head on exposed nail.  Learns to wear that goofy looking and uncomfortable hard hat.

Pain and consequence bring lessons to people who use their brains.
      November 17, 2017 9:15 AM MST

Use the same method used to herd a clowder or a glaring---and with the same result.  (Yes, I had to look up what to call a "group of cats.")

Unfortunately, stupidity is a result of cognitive function and not so much a learned response such as "getting burned is to be avoided."

And when dealing with humans, this is the problem:  The human intellect cannot be put in possession of its object by some exterior agent that takes it there. There is for us no knowledge except our own knowledge, no truth except self-acquired truth
      November 17, 2017 10:14 AM MST

Stupidity is incurable. Doing something stupid, as most of us have, teaches us a lesson unless we really are stupid.
      November 17, 2017 10:27 AM MST

• So true.
      November 17, 2017 10:33 AM MST