Active Now

Spunky
Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Being depended upon is great. Being taken for granted is not. Do you like being taken for granted? Do you do that to others?

Being depended upon is great. Being taken for granted is not. Do you like being taken for granted? Do you do that to others?

Posted - November 21, 2017

Responses

Sometimes I am a catalyst---I speed up the reaction, remain unchanged myself, and yet find I have made an important---yet unacknowledged---contribution.

I'm fine with that.
      November 21, 2017 9:16 AM MST

That sounds somewhat sinister. Manipulative. Premeditated. Controlling. Are you  any of those things tom? I dunno. I've had conversations before with internet social site folks who said they enjoyed making people think about things they hadn't considered before.  It always sounds kinda pompous to me. As if they are up above the rest of us and so much smarter looking down upon us and encouraging to be better than we are. As if they have some superior power. You don't mean to do that, right?   Because if you do that means you are always conscious of your effect and engage with specific motives. Or I could be way off base.  Thank you for your reply.
      November 22, 2017 3:36 AM MST

Socratic method, Rosie---not Machiavellian.

I've had the opportunity to engage in a lot of formal study.  I'm a teacher at heart and I like to share what I know.
      November 22, 2017 11:23 AM MST

Okey dokey. Apologies for the misunderstanding. My favorite class in Junior College was Philosophy tom. The teacher always turned everything we asked back onto us and wanted to know what WE thought.  He was a very OK guy. I mouthed off to him once in class. It was his habit to respond to a question with " I don't know. Why don't you tell me what you think?" One day I said "If YOU don't know with all your years of education/experience how can you possibly think I would know?"  Funny update on that. After my divorce I took some night classes at the college and bumped into him one evening. I think he was attending a seminar. Well I told him about a project I was engaged in at work and a couple of nights later I found some books at my apartment door with a note from him telling me he thought they might help in my research. Of course I called the college and thanked him. Well he asked me out to dinner and we dated for about 6 months. Yes. I was much younger. But he never gave me any indication that he was interested in me when I was his student. I don't know if you had any such experience as that.  Sometimes mouthing off to a teacher works on your behalf. Sometimes it's a really dumb thing to do! I lucked out! Thank you for your reply and Happy USA Black Friday to you m'dear! :) This post was edited by RosieG at November 24, 2017 3:15 AM MST
      November 24, 2017 3:10 AM MST

Good answer tom jackson. ;)
      November 22, 2017 3:38 AM MST