Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Are you willing to take a "wait and see" approach to Net Neutrality or do you believe what the media is telling you?

Are you willing to take a "wait and see" approach to Net Neutrality or do you believe what the media is telling you?

Posted - November 22, 2017

Responses

I don't really care as long as I can come here for free.
      November 22, 2017 8:33 AM MST

• This type of site is likely to be one of the first to get throttled. That and/or forced to shut down by pay to play. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 22, 2017 11:31 AM MST
      November 22, 2017 8:52 AM MST

Yeah...I was thinking that when I posted.
      November 22, 2017 11:26 AM MST

• Facebook, twitter, Google+, etc. will be the only social media sites that will stand.  No other will be able to compete with their revenue generating power and will be throttled or charged to extinction.
    That's one of the worst parts about this.   The little guys and the new guys are going to be washed out of the picture.
      November 22, 2017 12:11 PM MST

• Hell no. There is no justification for it what so ever in my mind.  The only outcome and reason to repeal net neutrality is so a large conglomerate corporation can further monopolize areas and charge and make even larger fortunes while providing even chitttier service.  The internet is either whole and unregulated by providers  or it's nothing t all.

The providers will say this is an infringement on their rights. BS, They have no right to the internet or it's content and if they want to make money off of it by providing it then they should have to provide all of it without limits.
      November 22, 2017 8:52 AM MST

I wonder if Netflix, Hulu, etc. will embrace the "download-a-file-that-will-expire" type system as opposed to streaming. I think Netflix had that for a while on some titles. They might still offer that feature.

Would downloading a "zipped" movie require less "bandwidth" than streaming for 2 hours? Of course piracy would be an issue, but things are already pirated so much it really isn't an issue. Going back to just file delivery instead of streaming would also solve wi-fi problems, buffering, and other annoying issues. I think we rely too much on streaming. Now that most memory isn't very costly, downloading large files really isn't an issue, especially if they're deleted after a period of time.
      November 22, 2017 9:20 AM MST

• Some validity to that point but downloading is problematic too.  With streaming there is no wait and there isn't the problem of corrupted files not playing nor the issue of interrupted service making a download fail and need to restart.  Downloading eats up just as much bandwidth as streaming.

The issue with pirating really comes down to the cable and movie companies refusing to adapt or realize the value of their product has decreased while trying to impose the same or higher costs. The cable companies brought it on themselves. Gravy trains don't last forever and are not supposed to.
      November 22, 2017 9:31 AM MST

Honestly, I'm amazed things have been "free" for this long.
      November 22, 2017 9:15 AM MST

• I'm with Bromide. I'm amazed that it has even been free this long. Look at cable TV providers. A complete mess. It was only a matter of time before the internet turned into the same thing. Oh well, "government is bad, corporations are good". 
      November 22, 2017 10:24 AM MST

Not this time.  The ISPs are already rolling in huge profits on internet provision, which is an inexpensive proposition.  AT&T and Verizon miss the days of low overhead and huge profits from all of the many add-ons they used to charge customers.  Without net neutrality we can look forward to all kinds of limitations on internet service.  This is the bigger story that what will happen to Netflix and their peers.  Individuals will be the real losers.  They might go back to per-hour charging.................who's to stop them now?   The FCC chief in a Verizon man.  No surprise there.
      November 22, 2017 2:39 PM MST

Don't know what that is. 
      November 22, 2017 12:35 PM MST

Thank you for your input.
      November 22, 2017 5:47 PM MST

• You Americans should have been paying more attention to John Oliver ;)
      November 22, 2017 5:49 PM MST

I do. Not the rest of these people, but I do.
      November 22, 2017 5:51 PM MST

• I know you do :) guessing this site and all Q&A's  won't be around much longer... that sucks :/ 
      November 22, 2017 5:52 PM MST