Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » If Trump were assassinated, who would you nominate for President?

If Trump were assassinated, who would you nominate for President?

Posted - November 26, 2017

Responses

Jeff Bezos.  There's a man who really knows how to run things.
      November 26, 2017 11:56 AM MST

• Pence.   I have no other choice.
      November 26, 2017 12:09 PM MST

Steve Jobs. There's a man that can get things done.
      November 26, 2017 12:13 PM MST

Lee Harvey Oswald. There's a guy that can get things done.
      November 26, 2017 12:14 PM MST

Except that he died in 1963. That makes him about as useful as that guy Jesus that some folks are always talking about.
      November 27, 2017 1:42 PM MST

I'm gonna point and laugh when u go to he!!  
      November 27, 2017 10:20 PM MST

Since there's no such place, you'll be waiting an infinitely long time for that. And even if hell does exist, I would be dead and not care anyway.
      November 27, 2017 10:59 PM MST

Now THERE'S a contradiction:

There's no such thing as he!!, but even if there is.

Lmfao

I find it amusing that YOU are so confident that you know what happens when someone dies. Have you died in your past and then come back to life?  

Your "confidence" is a symptom of your own delusional. 
      November 28, 2017 9:33 AM MST

OK, then what is the basis of your confidence? I'm as confident as you are, and as I said, even if hell exists, I will be dead anyway, so I won't know the difference.
      November 29, 2017 11:32 AM MST

Might want to finish one of the gospels---Turns out He rose from the dead.
      November 29, 2017 9:23 AM MST

Only if you're Christian and buy into the theology. Judaism holds a very different view. The Gospels are not part of our scriptures.
      November 29, 2017 11:29 AM MST

It makes no difference who any of us choose. As with every other instance of the POTUS dying in office, the VP -Mike Pence- would assume the Presidency.
      November 26, 2017 1:15 PM MST

He's irreplaceable. One of a kind. 
      November 26, 2017 1:36 PM MST

There is no nomination process for that the VP becomes President, in this case Mike Pence. 
      November 26, 2017 1:46 PM MST

Pence gets it by default. 24th Amendment. The big question would be whom HE nominates for VP.
      November 26, 2017 2:34 PM MST

i probably wouldnt bother voting
      November 26, 2017 2:36 PM MST

Since there would be no special election, you wouldn't have that choice to make.
      November 27, 2017 11:02 AM MST

Since Vice President Pence would automatically succeed President Trump, the question is moot and meaningless. But if that was not the case, it would properly be asked as "If Trump WAS assassinated, WHOM would you nominate for president?

From grammarly.com...

Who or whom? If you’re like most English speakers, you know that there’s a difference between these pronouns, but you aren’t sure what that difference is. After reading this, you might conclude that knowing when to use who or whom is not as difficult as you think.

How can you tell when your pronoun is the object of a verb or preposition? Try substituting “he” or “she” and “him” or “her.” If “he” or “she” fits, you should use who. If “him” or “her” fits, you should use whom. Keep in mind that you may have to temporarily rearrange the sentence a bit while you test it.

Who/whom ate my sandwich?

Try substituting “she” and “her”: She ate my sandwich. Her ate my sandwich. “She” works and “her” doesn’t. That means the word you want is who.

Whom ate my sandwich?

Who ate my sandwich?

Let’s look at another:

Who/whom should I talk to about labeling food in the refrigerator?

Try substituting “he” and “him”: I should talk to he. I should talk to him. “Him” works, so the word you need is whom.

So back to your question, since "him" fits President Trump better than "he", the word you need is WHOM.
      November 27, 2017 11:15 AM MST

In the English language, "were" is entirely correct in subjunctive usage, even for a singular referent. In fact, it is preferred to "was," since it more clearly expresses a hypothetical scenario. Furthermore, "who" has, through the centuries, become grammatically acceptable where otherwise "whom" would have been more formally appropriate, save when preceded by a preposition. I.e. "who should I talk to" is fine by modern standards, although with a different word order it ought to be "to whom should I talk."

As long as the information you find on the internet suits your presuppositions, right?
      November 27, 2017 11:44 AM MST

Were, as a remnant of the past subjunctive in English, is used in formal contexts in clauses expressing hypotheses ( if he were to die, she would inherit everything), suppositions contrary to fact ( if I were you, I would be careful), and desire ( I wish he were there now). In informal speech, however, was is often used instead.

Just a comment---when certain formats (who vs whom) lose their distinction as to "proper" vs "acceptable" uses, we lose the precision of our verbal instruments that we use to shape communication.

When Kenda in the opening of Homicide Hunter says, "If you kill, I will find you," "I will find you" has a different meaning than "I shall find you."

But since either will or shall is "OK" to use now, we have lost the ability to confer a different meaning by a different word.

I don't see that as an advance in the human condition.
    This post was edited by tom jackson at November 27, 2017 4:43 PM MST
      November 27, 2017 12:06 PM MST

Agreed, although we are then not arguing grammar so much as semantics and its broader implications. I can't think of an example, however, where the equivalation of "who" and "whom" gives rise to misinterpretation and/or undermines a specific meaning.

There are many people who would concur, yet more who would not even deem this an issue or want to do anything about it. That has always been a fact of evolutions in any language: even when an entirely logical and pragmatic argument can be made to the contrary, there's just no (ethically) stopping such changes. This post was edited by Danilo_G at November 27, 2017 12:15 PM MST
      November 27, 2017 12:13 PM MST

We're almost arguing philosophy---in that I find the few constructions that we are addressing here to be true pet peeves of mine to the extent that I find the accepted usage "philosophically abhorrent" to me.   lol

In classical physics, we would express this as "the entropy of the semantic universe is always increasing."

And one of my favorite statements by William F Buckley, Jr. still is "How do we know when we are entering a dark age?"
      November 27, 2017 12:26 PM MST

Hehe, what happens when we reach full semantic entropy?

That is a memorable quote--as to me is anything, really, that expresses how only intelligence can perceive ignorance, which is arguably the defining irony of humankind. I would suggest that we continue in a dark age as long as there are people without proper access to food and potable water, but don't mean to get sidetracked any further.
      November 28, 2017 4:23 AM MST

We may know the answer to that much sooner than we expect...

"Only intelligence can perceive ignorance, which is arguably the defining irony of humankind."  A phrase couched in such "deathless prose" as to also be memorable.

Nice
      November 29, 2017 9:31 AM MST