Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » How often do others underestimate you? How do you disabuse them of that misconception? Why?

How often do others underestimate you? How do you disabuse them of that misconception? Why?

Posted - December 2, 2017

Responses

I count on that.  They don't see me coming then BAM.
    This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 3, 2017 2:34 AM MST
      December 2, 2017 9:54 AM MST

Thank you for your reply Sharon. The configuration looks painful. The expression on her face says it all. I wouldn't wanna be  in HER shoes!  Her pretzelized body seems to be on fire floating in the air or dropping down from somewhere on high like a bomb! BOOM! SPLATT! May she RIP!
      December 3, 2017 2:37 AM MST

I avoid disabusing people. It is amazing how stupid someone can be when their position depends on not understanding something.
      December 2, 2017 4:38 PM MST

Occasionally---but seldom more than once.
      December 2, 2017 7:23 PM MST

How tom? What is your MO or does it vary from person to person? Once works for me too. I rarely ever see them again and  if they do show up the jacka**y attitude is gone.  Words are groovy aren't they? The right words at the right time directed to the "right" people? Priceless. Happy Sunday! :)
      December 3, 2017 2:34 AM MST

Someone once told me that it doesn't take more than 5 minutes to figure out I'm the smartest person in the room.

(And I have been told that a number of times over the last 50 years.)

But I am pretty aware of the areas in which I lack either or both understanding or knowledge. This post was edited by tom jackson at December 4, 2017 2:09 AM MST
      December 3, 2017 8:24 PM MST

Here's the thing tom. I think we are all AVERAGE when you take our strengths/weaknesses and combine them then divide them in two. We just have different strengths. So while you may be able to think circles around someone in your areas of strength they can do likewise to you where you're in an area of your weaknesses. Perhaps not intellectually but intellect isn't the only valuable thing about human beings. There's creativity, compassion, empathy. Some folks are great at sports...some (like me) suck at them. Which is why I think awareness of that causes people to be humble and I think being modest/humble is a very attractive thing to be. I don't know how many others see life and people that way but I always have. Excelling in some things is fine. WE ALL DO. Being lousy at some things is unavoidable! WE ALL ARE. Being mediocre at some things is also part of being a human being.  Everyone everywhere is mediocre in certain areas. So I am never impressed with smarts unless modesty accompanies them. One of my weaknesses I expect. We humans value  different things with admiration. We also view some things with disdain/contempt. We are not perfect. SIGH. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :) I think I beat that horse to death! Apologies. This post was edited by RosieG at December 4, 2017 2:19 AM MST
      December 4, 2017 2:17 AM MST