Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » How knowledgeable are you about ignorance?

How knowledgeable are you about ignorance?

Posted - December 2, 2017

Responses

What we don't know, we are ignorant about.

So, everyone on earth is ignorant to some extent.

It is rampant.  It is necessary.  If we all knew everything, we would not be here.  We would have merged into God.

December 2, 2017 11:14 AM MST

.. but you said we already are? Each one of us. This post was edited by O-uknow at December 2, 2017 5:41 PM MST
      December 2, 2017 12:37 PM MST

I try to be wary of it, especially my own, but known it might never be.
      December 2, 2017 11:29 AM MST

• "I don't know where it's sold, but a lot of people do."
      December 2, 2017 11:58 AM MST

I know what many don't.
      December 2, 2017 12:37 PM MST

I can boast a lofty quote about it, that is how knowledgeable I'm about ignorance - Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.;))
      December 2, 2017 12:42 PM MST

"Simple" ignorance doesn't bother me. Personally, I know very little, if anything, about Russian culture---there is no reason I should know or should learn about Russian culture. 

If, however, I lived and worked in Russia as an employee of a company that required that to properly function in Russian culture, it would be my obligation to know about it and to learn about it ASAP.  If I refused to learn, that my ignorance of Russian culture would be "consequent' ignorance---a lack of due knowledge on my part."

We're all "simply" ignorant at various times in our lives---and rightly and legitimately so---and I have no problem with anyone displaying simple ignorance.

I have very little patience with those who display "consequent" ignorance, however.
      December 2, 2017 1:40 PM MST

Sort of like immigrants who come here and refuse to learn English.
      December 2, 2017 2:02 PM MST

December 3, 2017 8:35 PM MST

I don't want to go too far into this right now, but the insistence on one fixed identity seems overly rigid. Would refugees coming to the United States have to forego their culture?

What does, strictly speaking, "being American" even mean when there have been so many kinds of 'American' (pre- and post-colonization), when the nation can be very divided (politically, economically, socially, culturally), and when the government may be acting in objectionable or even 'non-American' fashion?
      December 4, 2017 4:01 AM MST

What I posted was said 110 years ago.  It was probably simpler back then.

We wouldn't need to "aspire" to a fixed identity; but we require the possession of certain knowledge and the taking of an oath for immigrants to gain citizenship status.

If you live in the USA, I would have no problem with requiring a resident to speak English.  Such a person would not have to "promulgate his esoteric cogitations," but he should be able to clearly "say what he thinks."

As to forgoing one's culture, if your culture is that important to you, why come here?  Maybe we have come to the point in time where there is a legitimate price for the privileges of living in America if we current Americans wish to preserve our democracy indefinitely.

And since our population has grown so much, perhaps we should re-define what the characteristics of an American citizen should be.
      December 5, 2017 10:34 AM MST

I have no idea.
      December 2, 2017 2:11 PM MST

Stu!  You do have a sense of humor!  Shalom!  Welcome to the dark side.
      December 2, 2017 5:42 PM MST

Say what? What's that supposed to mean? Never mind, I don't care.
      December 2, 2017 3:57 PM MST

I'm ignorant about knowledge.  Does that count for something here?
      December 2, 2017 5:44 PM MST

I wasn't knowledgeable until I started getting corrections for my grammar. 
      December 2, 2017 7:38 PM MST