Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Honoring the flag and the National Anthem (SYMBOLS) are more important to some than honoring lives, especially if they're black lives. Why?

Honoring the flag and the National Anthem (SYMBOLS) are more important to some than honoring lives, especially if they're black lives. Why?

Posted - December 3, 2017

Responses

Disrespecting the flag is disrespecting the military people who have fought died for this country....not race involved. 
    The NFL players don't even know why they are protesting anymore....some say police brutality, some say equal pay, some say that Kopackerick is not playing.....it is stupid. They need to protest on their own time.  The NFL will realize it soon enough the money is running far away from them. Ratings are down 25% from last year and empty seats in the stands. It will hit the players pocket books soon enough when contract renewal comes around.
      December 3, 2017 6:02 AM MST

As a disinterested Australian, the flag and anthem are symbols and if necessary can be changed. Australia's should be - it's well past time to ditch the Union Jack in the corner, it's a colonial anachronism and we have been independent for 116 years. Our anthem is similarly outmoded, verse 5 "Her sons in far Australia's land/Still keep a British soul". I stand mute through that verse, or sit down. I never had a British soul in the first place and resent the implication that I keep one.
    Was it disrespectful to Canada's fallen when they replaced the red British ensign with the Maple Leaf? A nation is more than a piece of coloured bunting.
    Likewise, were I American I'd be pushing to change that anthem too.  Only the gung-ho Yanks could have a National Anthem with the word "bombs" in it.
      December 3, 2017 6:40 AM MST

Thank you for your thoughtful answer Sbf. Change anything? You're serious right? Well the locals in power worship everything about The Founding Fathers including the slaveowners among them. They worship whatever used to be when women didn't have the vote and they had slaves which meant people of color knew their place and never strayed.. That's what they long for when they say they want their country back. I wonder how Native Americans feel about that? I bet they want their country back from the marauding WHITE thieves who took their land and killed them too. But I digress. If you are looking for an electorate that wants change you're looking at the wrong place. They will tell you they voted for the monstrous Donald John because he was so different. No. He was the way back when reactionary daddy dearest model they wanted again. Male-dominated, racist, bigoted, autocratic. Kudos to them they got it!  :( This post was edited by RosieG at December 3, 2017 6:56 AM MST
      December 3, 2017 6:54 AM MST

Traditions that many follow blindly because everybody else is doing it. Similar to what was happening In jesus's day. This post was edited by Autumnleaves at August 16, 2018 11:36 PM MDT
      August 16, 2018 12:21 AM MDT

They symbolize this country which includes people of different races.  Need there be special and exclusive "honoring" for each and every different race?   Whether we accept it or not we are all in this together.  
      August 16, 2018 5:11 AM MDT