Active Now

Thebigd
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Weird. White folk marching in protest to keep statues/monuments/ a flag are justified. People of color marching for any reason aren't. Why?

Weird. White folk marching in protest to keep statues/monuments/ a flag are justified. People of color marching for any reason aren't. Why?

People of color marching in protest for any reason are troublemakers. That is what we and they are told incessantly/consistently/constantly/repeatedly. Why the colors of the protesters should matter at all and not the reason for the protest I do not know. Do you?

Posted - December 3, 2017

Responses

No, you are only a troublemaker when you are causing trouble. 
    When you are mad at the actions of a police officer and you then burn and steal from businesses, beat up people, etc...you are not a protester you are a criminal. 
      December 3, 2017 6:35 AM MST

I think 'My 2 cents' should be promoted to a dollar based on the quality of answers. 
      December 3, 2017 6:55 AM MST

Thank you...so my2dollars? Lol
      December 3, 2017 7:04 AM MST

I agree. ;)
      December 5, 2017 3:42 PM MST

Because the US is still an incredibly racist country. 
      December 3, 2017 7:19 AM MST

I got no problems with the 2 on the right.
      December 3, 2017 8:51 AM MST

Serious question:

What's the point of respecting a piece of fabric (that was likely made in China, btw) if you don't respect the freedom that it allegedly represents?  
      December 3, 2017 9:28 AM MST

Becuase the flag is much more than a piece of fabric, it represents our freedoms, our military,  our country. It is disrespectful to them.
     Yes, they have the freedom to protest that way as I also have the freedom to counter protest with my attendance and my tv ratings and purchases of NFL products. 
      December 5, 2017 4:28 PM MST

When it comes down to it, it IS a piece of fabric. It is incredibly disrespectful to the IDEALS that the piece of fabric allegedly represents and to the PEOPLE who have served in the armed forces to attempt to prevent people from peacefully protesting the FACT that there are numerous injustices in this country. Taking way such freedoms (as Trumpty-Dumpty proposes) will do nothing except cause people to feel even more disillusioned and disenfranchised. Why should people feel thankful to be American, if America becomes a place of forced patriotism? Might as well move to Russia, where speaking against the government gets you killed. 
    Oh, yeah, that's right... Trump ADMIRES the way Putin controls his people, particularly the press. HahaHehe! 

December 7, 2017 12:18 PM MST

Personally I will never see the flag as just a piece of fabric...it means much more. 
    Just as a marriage license is more than just a piece of paper...it means much more.
      December 7, 2017 12:29 PM MST

Again, what's the point of respecting the fabric or paper, if you don't respect what it's supposed to represent??

I'd say that Trump respects marriage about as much as he respects our freedoms, so that is really an excellent example and comparison! 

P.S - Happy Holidays 
      December 7, 2017 12:35 PM MST

Trump? What does he have to do with this conversation? 

I agree with the freedoms....I don't have to like how someone choices to exercise those freedoms. And I have that freedom granted by the Constitution as well. 
      December 7, 2017 1:03 PM MST

What does Trump have to do with a conversation about "disrespecting" the flag??? Are you kidding? 
    It's like you guys don't even keep track of what tiny hands is up to! LMAO! 

Exactly. You don't have to like how people choose to exercise the first amendment any more than I have to like how people choose to interpret and exercise the second. The big difference is that kneeling or even burning a flag is NOT killing people. 
      December 8, 2017 8:32 PM MST

You are completely conflating the right to freedom of expression with being entitled to the respect of others.

Trump has no desire to take away their rights. He just doesn't respect them, because they're scum.

A protest is a moral argument about ACTIONS. (X is doing Y. Y is unjust. Therefore X should stop doing Y).

Disrespecting the flag is just an insult not an argument. (E.g. I don't like my country, so f*** my country.) This post was edited by Zeitgeist at December 10, 2017 3:25 AM MST
      December 7, 2017 2:47 PM MST

"Nobody should be allowed to burn the American flag - if they do, there must be consequences - perhaps loss of citizenship or year in jail!" - Donald Trump via Twitter 11/29/16

Much as you might wish you did, you don't get to decide another person's motivation, sir. You may speculate all you want, but you do NOT own what's in another person's heart. Except, perhaps, for the scars that you've inflicted. I suspect that you can lay claim to many of those. 

December 8, 2017 8:45 PM MST

Judging what is in another person's heart is what the justice system does ALL THE TIME.

Society has already decided that the right to free expression has some limits. Flag burning is morally equivalent to making death threats. It's not acceptable.
      December 9, 2017 5:20 AM MST

Wait. What? I thought that was Jesus's job! 

What society decides is irrelevant. SCOTUS regulates the limitations on freedoms, and it has decided that flag burning is legal and protected. 
    Love it or leave it, I guess, right? :)

December 9, 2017 9:30 AM MST

If you think like that, why not just have complete anarchy and let God sort it out? 

The bible cautions against being judgmental, but people twist that to the point of being passive and permissive and not standing for anything.

Yes, that is the opinion of the SCOTUS, currently. Though times change and the opinions of the supreme court change. Its rulings don't stand for all time. They are subject to review.
      December 9, 2017 10:47 AM MST

Happy Holidays!
      December 9, 2017 5:10 PM MST

Indeed. I wonder why that is SA? Indicting victims and sympathizing with the perps seems weird to me but lotsa folks do it and self-righteously believe they are the ones who are right and everyone else is wrong. It's a comfy way to go through life I guess. Not my cuppa tea as you can plainly see.Thank you for your reply and the spot-on graphic. What happens next?  SIGH. Happy Saturday! :)
      December 9, 2017 3:28 AM MST

Democrats are stepping down for inappropriate jokes and alleged interactions with ADULT women and Trump is holding rallies for a confirmed pedophile. Is anyone surprised? Moore isn't the first pedo friend of Trump. 

Happy Saturday to you, Rosie!

December 9, 2017 9:13 AM MST

Protests are respected or not based on the merits of their claims.

Protests based on racial identity (regardless of what race is doing it) have no merits in modern America, and are therefore not well received by thinking people. Equal rights are already in place. Anyone who suffers racial prejudice should direct their complaints at the individuals concerned not society and not the state.

Protests are better received if they focus specifically on something. When people put collective blame on society as a whole, or express disloyalty to the nation, it doesn't go down well.

December 5, 2017 3:11 PM MST

Whether any protest is "justified" or not is a matter of personal opinion.  Certainly some use the protesters color in forming their opinions, and that holds true for black and brown people as well as whites, btw.

Personally, I don't give a flying fig what color protesters are or what they are protesting...provided they aren't infringing upon anyone else's rights, being violent, or rioting. This post was edited by Bozette at December 9, 2017 5:43 AM MST
      December 9, 2017 5:42 AM MST

All I can say is marching is not wrong.  It is a unified protest against what they feel to be unjust.

Now we have skinheads marching and other bums and criminals.

They have even sullied the idea of marching.

So sad.  So sick.  Again, we are seeing what is evil and we are so enmeshed in all things evil and acceptance of them, we do not know whom to defend.

Just because evil is marching, does not make it okay.  Evil needs to be arrested for all the other atrocities committed besides marching.

December 9, 2017 9:34 AM MST