Active Now

Randy D
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Holidays » The first time Jesus pooped, did Joseph yell out "HOLY CRAP"?

The first time Jesus pooped, did Joseph yell out "HOLY CRAP"?

Posted - December 4, 2017

Responses

I cannot do this.  I cannot do this.  I cannot do this.
    I have great answers, but....I cannot do this.

December 4, 2017 9:38 AM MST

Funny cartoon!
    :)
      December 4, 2017 7:24 PM MST

Probably not. 
    First, Joseph would have spoken Aramaic, and divinity wasn’t attributed to Christ until over 300 years after his death. 
      December 4, 2017 4:46 PM MST

All four Gospels were completed prior to 110CE.
      December 5, 2017 5:26 AM MST

I think he may be referring to when they decided Jesus was God or equal to God? Jesus was never referred to as 'ho theos' in the scriptures.
      December 20, 2017 7:21 AM MST

Kyrie mou kai ho Theos mou
    John 20:28
      December 20, 2017 7:24 AM MST

Thank you Slartibartfast. I Didn't realize 'ho' was in that verse. 
    That doesn't necessarily mean that Jesus is The True God though as you have to consider what the rest of the Bible says, yes?

Consider this:
    [Does Thomas’ exclamation at John 20:28 prove that Jesus is truly God?
    John 20:28 (RS) reads: “Thomas answered him, ‘My Lord and my God!’”
    There is no objection to referring to Jesus as “God,” if this is what Thomas had in mind. Such would be in harmony with Jesus’ own quotation from the Psalms in which powerful men, judges, were addressed as “gods.” (John 10:34, 35, RS; Ps. 82:1-6) Of course, Christ occupies a position far higher than such men. Because of the uniqueness of his position in relation to Jehovah, at John 1:18 (NW) Jesus is referred to as “the only-begotten god.” (See also Ro, By.) Isaiah 9:6 (RS) also prophetically describes Jesus as “Mighty God,” but not as the Almighty God. All of this is in harmony with Jesus’ being described as “a god,” or “divine,” at John 1:1 (NW, AT).
    The context helps us to draw the right conclusion from this. Shortly before Jesus’ death, Thomas had heard Jesus’ prayer in which he addressed his Father as “the only true God.” (John 17:3, RS) After Jesus’ resurrection Jesus had sent a message to his apostles, including Thomas, in which he had said: “I am ascending . . . to my God and your God.” (John 20:17, RS) After recording what Thomas said when he actually saw and touched the resurrected Christ, the apostle John stated: “These are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in his name.” (John 20:31, RS) So, if anyone has concluded from Thomas’ exclamation that Jesus is himself “the only true God” or that Jesus is a Trinitarian “God the Son,” he needs to look again at what Jesus himself said (vs. 17) and at the conclusion that is clearly stated by the apostle John (vs. 31).]

Cited verses:
    (John 20:28) In answer Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!”
    (John 10:34, 35) Jesus answered them: “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I said: “You are gods”’? 35 If he called ‘gods’ those against whom the word of God came—and yet the scripture cannot be nullified—
    (Psalm 82:1-6) God takes his place in the divine assembly; In the middle of the gods he judges:  2 “How long will you continue to judge with injustice And show partiality to the wicked? (Selah)  3 Defend the lowly and the fatherless. Render justice to the helpless and destitute.  4 Rescue the lowly and the poor; Save them out of the hand of the wicked.”  5 They do not know, nor do they understand; They are walking about in darkness; All the foundations of the earth are being shaken.  6 “I have said, ‘You are gods, All of you are sons of the Most High.
    (John 1:18) No man has seen God at any time; the only-begotten god who is at the Father’s side is the one who has explained Him.
    (Isaiah 9:6) For a child has been born to us, A son has been given to us; And the rulership will rest on his shoulder. His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.
    (John 1:1) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god.
    (John 17:3) This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ.
    (John 20:17) Jesus said to her: “Stop clinging to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father and to my God and your God.’”
    (John 20:31) But these have been written down so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and because of believing, you may have life by means of his name.

[But what about the apostle Thomas’ saying, “My Lord and my God!” to Jesus at John 20:28? To Thomas, Jesus was like “a god,” especially in the miraculous circumstances that prompted his exclamation. Some scholars suggest that Thomas may simply have made an emotional exclamation of astonishment, spoken to Jesus but directed to God. In either case, Thomas did not think that Jesus was Almighty God, for he and all the other apostles knew that Jesus never claimed to be God but taught that Jehovah alone is “the only true God.”—John 17:3.
    Again, the context helps us to understand this. A few days earlier the resurrected Jesus had told Mary Magdalene to tell the disciples: “I am ascending to my Father and your Father and to my God and your God.” (John 20:17) Even though Jesus was already resurrected as a mighty spirit, Jehovah was still his God. And Jesus continued to refer to Him as such even in the last book of the Bible, after he was glorified.—Revelation 1:5, 6; 3:2, 12.
    Just three verses after Thomas’ exclamation, at John 20:31, the Bible further clarifies the matter by stating: “These have been written down that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ the Son of God,” not that he was Almighty God. And it meant “Son” in a literal way, as with a natural father and son, not as some mysterious part of a Trinity Godhead.
    Must Harmonize With the Bible
    IT IS claimed that several other scriptures support the Trinity. But these are similar to those discussed above in that, when carefully examined, they offer no actual support. Such texts only illustrate that when considering any claimed support for the Trinity, one must ask: Does the interpretation harmonize with the consistent teaching of the entire Bible—that Jehovah God alone is Supreme? If not, then the interpretation must be in error.
    We also need to keep in mind that not even so much as one “proof text” says that God, Jesus, and the holy spirit are one in some mysterious Godhead. Not one scripture anywhere in the Bible says that all three are the same in substance, power, and eternity. The Bible is consistent in revealing Almighty God, Jehovah, as alone Supreme, Jesus as his created Son, and the holy spirit as God’s active force.]
      December 20, 2017 9:57 AM MST

• The power of Christ repelled him.
      December 4, 2017 6:39 PM MST

:)
      December 4, 2017 7:23 PM MST

Element, I have always wondered why there are terms like holy shit, holy crap...Goddamn...?
      December 4, 2017 11:02 PM MST

Considering their religion, it was more likely something like this:

December 4, 2017 11:14 PM MST

• Yiddish didn't even exist yet and they had no clue what a German even was.
      December 5, 2017 1:55 AM MST

Look up "sarcasm." The dictionary is your friend.
      December 5, 2017 5:22 AM MST

• That was a terrible attempt at sarcasm.
      December 5, 2017 6:52 AM MST