Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » What does "TRUE LOVE" mean to you? Are you experiencing it now? How?

What does "TRUE LOVE" mean to you? Are you experiencing it now? How?

Posted - December 8, 2017

Responses

That's the unconditional, immortal kind.

The kind that is there whether you see it or not. 

God is love and so is everything you see, if you know how to look.  I don't mean to be evasive or mysterious.  It is not an answer that can be digested in one paragraph.

The fact that there is harmony and balance to all things, when we don't interfere, is unconditional love.  Birth, death, no matter.  We are all part and parcel of God and we never die.  That is unconditional love too.
      December 8, 2017 8:51 AM MST

Thank you for your reply Sharon and Happy Saturday. So you have experienced TRUE LOVE in your life with another or other human beings? God's love is separate and apart from what I mean.
      December 9, 2017 2:28 AM MST

Over the years, the word 'love' has taken on many definitions.  It can mean anything from a feeling of affection (I love you), to a 'pet' name (you're my love), to a feeling of fondness towards a thing (I love coffee) or even sexual relations (making love).  Consequently, it's used quite casually and spoken without much thought as to what it really implies.  Even saying, "I love you" has different meanings to different people.  Some may say it as a means to get out of a discernment (it doesn't matter that I slept with 45 other women last week, I love you the most).  While some say it as a way of manipulating another persons emotions (honey, I love you more than there are stars in the sea). 

So what is "love"?  Simply put, "love" is putting other people's needs (physical, emotional, etc.) ahead of your own - despite the cost.  That means you are willing to see them succeed - even if it meant your own downfall.  It means that if they were cold, you'd give them give them every article of clothing you had so that they'd be warm - even if it meant you'd freeze.  Suddenly those "3 little words" took on a whole different meaning, didn't they.  Yes, love is more than a feeling, it's an action.  And we all know that actions speak louder than words.

Then what is "true love"?  "True love" is the condition between two people when unconditional love is demonstrated by both of them on a continual basis - even when circumstances are at their worst.  True love doesn't simply happen, it takes hard work - by both parties.  Loving another person (or persons) unconditionally goes against what society teaches.  Society teaches "me first" (self).  Where self is, disunity quickly follows (divorce, separations, fights, bickering, etc.)  "True love" must constantly be on the lookout for 'self', for "self" will undermine true love.

As for me...

Like many people, I hoped to find a "true love".  But I was plagued by extreme shyness and social anxiety; not the best traits for finding love (or friends).  The few women that came into my life were either already married or wanted no part of me.  Unfortunately, time has a way of passing by very quickly.  One has but a brief moment to find a person to share their life with.  The longer it takes to find that person, the less likely it will ever happen.  Soon, that moment is gone; slamming shut in your face like an iron door, never to open again.   Sitting and staring at a permanently closed door isn't very productive.  So I press on, trying to show love to others as best I can, yet all the while knowing that I will never experience "true love".
      December 8, 2017 12:26 PM MST

There is a lot here m'dear and I want to put as much thought in my reply as you have put in your response. It may not be sequential. It will be as the thoughts occur to me so apologies in advance. First of all I do not agree that "the longer it takes to find that person, the less likely it will ever happen."  I've married a few times. I was divorced and alone for about 20 years. Then Jim came into my life. I was almost 60 and he was almost 62. Our birthdays are 5 days apart. I'm 80 now and he is 82 and we were meant for each other. At that age neither of us expected or even wanted a relationship. Now it's the most important thing in our lives. I was painfully shy as a child and still have the tendency to withdraw when I feel hostility or uncomfortable. I was never a partygoer or the kind of gal that everyone looked at whenever I entered the room. Still I did okay. When you're very young your ideas of "love" are what you see in the movies. Unless it's a tragedy the stories all end "happily ever after" except that you never see the "ever after". It's just implied. Life isn't like that. Oh. The next thing is this . It isn't HARD WORK. It shouldn't be HARD WORK to maintain a relationship. If it's hard and it seems like work something is very wrong in my opinion. It should flow. It should be comfy and easy and smooth. Sure you have disagreements from time to time but it never rises to a level where you abuse each other verbally or physically. I've never understood why folks generally talk about how much hard work it is. That would not be my cuppa tea. So you never know what's around the next corner or over the next hill Shuhak. I have found that when you are not looking for something you often find it. I hope that makes sense to you  because I have experienced that often. I go out looking for specific thing..clothing or a book or something. I don't find it so I move on to something else. Then one day! Lo and behold! There it is waiting for me. I think trying too hard to achieve anything can be counterproductive. Thank you for your thoughtful reply. My thoughts about you is "what a waste". You would be a wonderful companion for anyone who is thoughtful and on the same level as you intellectually. What I mean by that is you should have someone with whom you can discuss all things and be understood. I don't mean to sound snooty. It helps a great deal to understand each other without having to go to great lengths to explain yourself.  I hope I've given you some hope. I don't know your age but you are never too old to find TRUE LOVE. I know. It happened to me!  Saying you will "never" experience true love is not true. You can't possibly know what your future holds. I would get rid of the negativism and just keep yourself open to all possibilities. If the door to you is closed people will just pass you by thinking you're not open for business. If ya get my drift! :)
      December 9, 2017 2:55 AM MST

What I meant by "the longer it takes to find that person, the less likely it will ever happen", is that the older one gets, the narrower the field gets.  People get married, or they decide their content to be single, or they simply don't wish to pursue relationships (perhaps from being hurt too much?).

I agree, many times young people think that what they see on TV or in movies is how life is or should be.  They think that things are always rosy.  "We'll marry and have kids and all will be bliss".  Oh, it sounds nice, but if it were really like that, they’d go nuts.  Problems and adversities are what make people grow.  Without them, we become stagnant and apathetic - not happy (which is ironic).

Here's where we disagree.... "Hard work" -

I firmly believe a good relationship does require hard work.  If one sows lemons, they're not going to harvest roses.  Putting forth little or no effort in any relationship will yield a rather poor relationship - or no relationship at all.  One can't simply sit back and expect to have a "stellar" relationship.  That'd be like sitting back and waiting for $1 million to fall into your lap.  It doesn't work that way.  It takes effort.  It would be nice if all relationships were “comfy, easy and smooth”; and granted, some may seem that way.  Yet to get the relationship to that level takes work (i.e. effort).  If one never talks to their friend, do you think that friendship will last? 

Yes, disagreements and arguments must come (as we're all different and have our own opinions on things).  Without them a relationship won’t grow (we must learn to live with our differences, not merely work around them).   Granted, after a while, a relationship may get to be “easy, comfy and smooth”... but it took effort (hard work) to get to that level - even if it didn't seem like it.  If two people really enjoy their relationship with each other, then any “work” they do to maintain that relationship won’t seem like work.  Giving the other an occasional bouquet of flowers – for no reason at all; bringing them chicken soup when they’re sick; giving the other your coat when they’re cold; popping in on the other when they’re at work just to say hi; taking them out to dinner because they had a hard day at work; sticking a note in their lunch that says, ‘I love you’…. all these actions are “work” – whether they seem to be or not.

This post was edited by Shuhak at December 9, 2017 11:41 AM MST
      December 9, 2017 11:40 AM MST

In the mouths of most people sentimental idealism.  I believe only God is true love. 
      December 8, 2017 2:25 PM MST

Thank you for your reply officegirl and Happy Saturday to thee! :)
      December 9, 2017 2:29 AM MST

Though rare it does exist between two people as well officegirl. But those people don't cheat on each other or want to. They are steadfast and honorable and devoted to their mate. They don't flirt or play around or desire others. They admire but that's as far as it goes They do not desire others. With all the sleazebags flooding out of the woodwork currently it can be very depressing to realize how many scumbags there are. But dwelling on it doesn't cure it. Hopefully from now on such folks will be outed and pay whatever price their evildoings require. SIGH. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday!  :)
      December 9, 2017 2:39 AM MST

The beloved's happiness is essential to your own. Selfless. You're there for them through thick and thin. For better and for worse. For richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health ...
    That's how I feel about Maureen, I sing this one to her frequently:

This post was edited by Slartibartfast at December 9, 2017 2:29 AM MST
      December 8, 2017 5:49 PM MST

((hugs)) You know EXACTLY what I mean because you and Maureen experience it 24/7. That's Jim and me too. My sis and her husband as well. We're very lucky I know. Thank you for your reply Sbf and Happy Saturday!  That's the point. While neither of you are perfect (no one is) you are PERFECT for each other and are KEENLY aware of it. You don't stray either in body or mind when it comes to devotion and caring in that intimacy that only two can share. You're not even tempted! You can admire without desiring others. You don't fantasize about how "it" would be with others because you're just not interested. :) This post was edited by RosieG at December 9, 2017 1:05 PM MST
      December 9, 2017 2:33 AM MST