Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » In addition to Abraham Lincoln what other Republican ever fought for Civil Rights? Why?

In addition to Abraham Lincoln what other Republican ever fought for Civil Rights? Why?

Posted - December 8, 2017

Responses

President Rutherford B. Hayes  (#19)  established free public education for all American children regardless of race. i know this because, as a youngster, I was hired to paint the ornate iron fence around his grave. That was a tough job for a kid. I used the money to buy a Schwinn 10 speed bicycle. It was later stolen!
      December 8, 2017 2:16 PM MST

What a spectacular reply bh! You made it personal and therefore real! Thank you for that info and for sharing how you acquired the super Schwinn bike. They were da bomb when I was a kid as I recall. Are they still? Happy Saturday! :)
      December 9, 2017 4:38 AM MST

These days, Schwinn bikes are sold at Walmart or any retailer who will sell them.  Back in the day, you had to buy 'em from an exclusive Schwinn dealer. They were mostly made in Chicago. Not any more. I still ride my 1979 Schwinn Continental 10 speed occasionally.
      December 9, 2017 5:13 AM MST

You do? Wow. I betcha that '79 is worth something bh. Not that you would ever sell it. Do you ride it for transportation around town or just for pleasure? Do you ever use all 10 speeds? I've heard bikes wih 21 gears or more? I mean fer goodness sakes who needs all of those and does anyone EVER use all of them? Thank you for your reply. What color is yours? Did they come in red and blue only or where  there other colors too?
      December 9, 2017 8:40 AM MST

Most of them, up to Eisenhower. Things changed when Tricky Dick took the helm.
      December 8, 2017 2:46 PM MST

Wasn't he the one responsible for "the southern strategy"? Great guy wasn't he? Thank you for your reply Sbf.
      December 9, 2017 4:38 AM MST

I think Goldwater can take the credit (blame) for inventing it, even though Nixon was the principal beneficiary.
      December 9, 2017 1:12 PM MST

Hmm.  The Republican party was the party of the so-called "American negro" until the mid 20th Century.  And may interest you to know that old Abe was not slow to make racist jokes when it suited him or his audience. 
      December 9, 2017 1:29 PM MST