Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Can a question and answers website take legal action against a banned user that keeps returning under a different alias?

Can a question and answers website take legal action against a banned user that keeps returning under a different alias?

This happened to me at similarworld.com. They sent me an email threatening me with legal action. I’m not sure what law I have broken.

Posted - December 9, 2017

Responses

I don't know if that could be covered under harrasement laws or not.
      December 9, 2017 4:35 AM MST

• I don’t think so. who is the victim?
      December 9, 2017 6:36 AM MST

The website.
      December 9, 2017 6:42 AM MST

• I don’t think a website has human rights. It shouldn’t do anyway. Imagine being in jail and telling your cell mate that you’re doing a 10 year sentence for annoying a website lol
      December 9, 2017 6:48 AM MST

Ok, they website owners/operators.
    No different than if I tell a customer they are not allowed to come to my store anymore,  if they return I can have charges filed against them for: tresspassing and if it continued harrassment.  This post was edited by my2cents at December 9, 2017 12:09 PM MST
      December 9, 2017 6:51 AM MST

• If they get annoyed by people wanting to use their site then maybe they are in the wrong business. I don’t see how it’s a legal matter personally. 
      December 9, 2017 6:56 AM MST

Yes but each site is allowed to have rules that they expect all users to obey.
      December 9, 2017 7:05 AM MST

• I get that, and I don’t mean to be argumentative but breaking rules that have been created by the owner of a website isn’t illegal. 
      December 9, 2017 12:18 PM MST

Yes but that is not what is was being threatened....the threat was for creating more accounts after being banned. I know a physical store does have legal options if someone returns after a ban. Just not sure about options for website. But could certainly sue for harrassment...that costs nothing but time and effort for small claims court. Personally I would not bother myself if I was a website owner.
      December 9, 2017 2:34 PM MST

You can be sued over practically anything. 
      December 9, 2017 4:56 AM MST

• Probably depends on what country you are in.   In the US I'm leaning towards no.  Never heard of any law being used for it.  I suppose someone could make a ridiculous trespassing or harassment claim if they put enough spin and very liberal and open interpretation of laws but I doubt and would hope  any judge would throw it out.
    Honestly it sounds more like blowing smoke but I cannot be certain.
      December 9, 2017 6:55 AM MST

Oh yeah.  Like anyone would bother.
    If the person was malevolent and was breaking the law by hacking the site or something, there may be some computer law court I am unaware of.

Who cares?  Let them come back.  No one notices such nonsense anyway.
      December 9, 2017 12:08 PM MST

Why would they, when it's so much easier to simply poison the next drink you'll have? Or the one after that.
      December 9, 2017 12:12 PM MST

• Haha. I better keep an eye on my drinks
      December 9, 2017 12:23 PM MST