Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Why don’t Jews accept Jesus as Lord?

Why don’t Jews accept Jesus as Lord?

Posted - December 10, 2017

Responses

Some do, but if they didn't in the 1st century, they won't now. 
      December 10, 2017 4:24 AM MST

• It doesn’t make sense to me. Killed by his own people for being miraculous 
      December 10, 2017 4:30 AM MST

He wasn't popular with those in power and didn't perform the political miracles that the populace wanted. 

Serious Christians though the ages are in the same boat. Jews especially the orthodox have their own world view.  

December 10, 2017 4:39 AM MST

• Thanks Malizz 
      December 10, 2017 4:46 AM MST

Jesus, like countless others, was put to death by the Romans. The Jewish elders allowed this rabble rouser to be punished. 
      December 10, 2017 7:44 AM MST

Honey, the ROMANS did it.  Not the Jews. 
      December 10, 2017 8:01 AM MST

Yup, but it was at the instigation of the Jewish religious leaders. Pilate wanted to release Jesus but gave in to fear of the Jews as they were already on the verge of revolt. 

(Mark 10:33, 34) “Look! We are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of man will be handed over to the chief priests and the scribes. They will condemn him to death and hand him over to men of the nations, 34 and these will mock him and spit on him and scourge him and kill him, but three days later he will rise.”
    (Mark 15:10-15) For Pilate was aware that out of envy the chief priests had handed him over. 11 But the chief priests stirred up the crowd to have him release Bar·abʹbas to them instead. 12 Again in reply Pilate said to them: “What, then, should I do with the one you call the King of the Jews?” 13 Once more they cried out: “To the stake with him!” 14 But Pilate went on to say to them: “Why? What bad thing did he do?” Still they cried out all the more: “To the stake with him!” 15 At that Pilate, wishing to satisfy the crowd, released Bar·abʹbas to them; and after having Jesus whipped, he handed him over to be executed on the stake.
    (Acts 3:11-15) While the man was still holding on to Peter and John, all the people ran together to them at what was called Solʹo·mon’s Colonnade, completely surprised. 12 When Peter saw this, he said to the people: “Men of Israel, why are you so amazed at this, and why are you staring at us as though by personal power or godly devotion we have made him walk? 13 The God of Abraham and of Isaac and of Jacob, the God of our forefathers, has glorified his Servant, Jesus, whom you handed over and disowned before Pilate, even though he had decided to release him. 14 Yes, you disowned that holy and righteous one, and you asked for a man who was a murderer to be given to you, 15 whereas you killed the Chief Agent of life. But God raised him up from the dead, of which fact we are witnesses.
      December 11, 2017 6:29 PM MST

It’s not their belief. Jews (generally) hold that the Messiah is yet to come. 
      December 10, 2017 7:43 AM MST

I think it would be better if you studied that religion rather than my just giving a perfunctory answer.

Zen Buddhism doesn't recognize God as anything that can be defined.

Jewish faith doesn't recognize God in the form of man either.

BIG MISTAKE.  HUUUUGE.  (but that is just my take)

I need to see God in skin to understand.  Many do not.

I need to see how God would actually ACT on Earth.  It helps me see what to look like when I am trodding this earthly path.

All religions that reflect the Glory of God are valid religions and I honor the Jewish faith as much as any that do.
      December 10, 2017 8:00 AM MST

Why would anyone?
      December 10, 2017 3:18 PM MST

• He’s the son of God. It’s written in the bible.
      December 11, 2017 4:37 PM MST

Well if it is in the bible then it must be true, not.
      December 12, 2017 3:02 PM MST

You'll find that most people that disregard the Bible haven't even read it or considered the context on the tidbits that they blindly copy and paste from anti-bible websites. 
    There are several examples here like the supposed flat earth, the supposed age of the earth, Adam and Eve supposedly only having two children, both boys:
    https://answermug.com/forums/topic/45846/can-anyone-clarify-why-there-are-still-people-who-deny-climate-c/view/page/1

Well if I am hateful enough then my misconceptions about the Bible must be true, not.
      December 17, 2017 5:33 AM MST

Several reasons, see if any of this helps:

[Why did the Jews in general not accept Jesus as the Messiah?
    The Encyclopaedia Judaica says: “The Jews of the Roman period believed [the Messiah] would be raised up by God to break the yoke of the heathen and to reign over a restored kingdom of Israel.” (Jerusalem, 1971, Vol. 11, col. 1407) They wanted liberation from the yoke of Rome. Jewish history testifies that on the basis of the Messianic prophecy recorded at Daniel 9:24-27 there were Jews who expected the Messiah during the first century C.E. (Luke 3:15) But that prophecy also connected his coming with ‘making an end of sin,’ and Isaiah chapter 53 indicated that Messiah himself would die in order to make this possible. However, the Jews in general felt no need for anyone to die for their sins. They believed that they had a righteous standing with God on the basis of their descent from Abraham. Says A Rabbinic Anthology, “So great is the [merit] of Abraham that he can atone for all the vanities committed and lies uttered by Israel in this world.” (London, 1938, C. Montefiore and H. Loewe, p. 676) By their rejection of Jesus as Messiah, the Jews fulfilled the prophecy that had foretold regarding him: “He was despised, and we esteemed him not.”—Isaiah 53:3, JP.
    Before his death, Moses foretold that the nation would turn aside from true worship and that, as a result, calamity would befall them. (Read Deuteronomy 31:27-29.) The book of Judges testifies that this occurred repeatedly. In the days of the prophet Jeremiah, national unfaithfulness led to the nation’s being taken into exile in Babylon. Why did God also allow the Romans to destroy Jerusalem and its temple in 70 C.E.? Of what unfaithfulness had the nation been guilty so that God did not protect them as he had done when they had put their trust in him? It was shortly before this that they had rejected Jesus as the Messiah.]

[listening to the Messiah
    10 In heaven, God’s only-begotten Son was a mighty spirit person. On earth, Jesus was “the Father’s representative.” (John 16:27, 28) He said: “What I teach is not mine, but belongs to him that sent me.” (John 7:16) Confirming Jesus’ Messiahship during the transfiguration, Jehovah directed: “Listen to him.” (Luke 9:35) Yes, listen to, or obey, this Chosen One. That required faith and good works—both absolutely essential to please God and gain everlasting life.—John 3:16, 35, 36.
    11 Although Jesus had overwhelming credentials proving that he was the Messiah, the vast majority of the first-century Jews did not acclaim him. Why? Because they had their own preconceived ideas about the Messiah, including that he would be a political messiah who would liberate them from Roman oppression. (Read John 12:34.) Thus, they could not accept the Messiah who fulfilled the prophecies that said he would be despised, avoided by men, meant for pains and for having acquaintance with sickness, and finally killed. (Isa. 53:3, 5) Even some of Jesus’ loyal disciples were disappointed at his not providing political deliverance. But they remained loyal, and in time, accurate understanding was given them.—Luke 24:21.
    12 Another reason why people rejected Jesus as the promised Messiah was his teachings, which many found hard to accept. Entry into the Kingdom would require ‘disowning oneself,’ ‘eating’ Jesus’ flesh and blood, being “born again,” and being “no part of the world.” (Mark 8:34; John 3:3; 6:53; 17:14, 16) The proud, the rich, and the hypocritical viewed these requirements as too difficult to fulfill. However, humble Jews accepted Jesus as the Messiah, as did some Samaritans who said: “This man is for a certainty the savior of the world.”—John 4:25, 26, 41, 42; 7:31.
    13 Jesus foretold that he would be condemned by the chief priests and be impaled by Gentiles, but on the third day, he would rise. (Matt. 20:17-19) His affirmation before the Sanhedrin that he was “the Christ the Son of God” was judged to be blasphemy. (Matt. 26:63-66) Pilate found in him “nothing deserving of death,” but because the Jews charged him also with sedition, Pilate “surrendered Jesus to their will.” (Luke 23:13-15, 25) They thus “disowned” and contrived to kill “the Chief Agent of life,” despite the overwhelming proof that he was sent by God. (Acts 3:13-15) The Messiah was “cut off” as foretold, being impaled on a stake on Passover Day of 33 C.E. (Dan. 9:26, 27; Acts 2:22, 23) By this cruel death, he suffered the “heel” wound foretold at Genesis 3:15.]
      December 11, 2017 4:36 PM MST

• Thanks for taking the time to answer
      December 11, 2017 4:47 PM MST

You're welcome. Here are some of the cited scriptures from the first article that shows it was prophesied that the majority of the Jews would reject the Messiah:

(Isaiah 53:1-3) Who has put faith in the thing heard from us? And as for the arm of Jehovah, to whom has it been revealed?  2 He will come up like a twig before him, like a root out of parched land. No stately form does he have, nor any splendor; And when we see him, his appearance does not draw us to him.  3 He was despised and was avoided by men, A man who was meant for pains and was familiar with sickness. It was as if his face were hidden from us. He was despised, and we held him as of no account.  

(Daniel 9:24-27) “There are 70 weeks that have been determined for your people and your holy city, in order to terminate the transgression, to finish off sin, to make atonement for error, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up the vision and the prophecy, and to anoint the Holy of Holies. 25 You should know and understand that from the issuing of the word to restore and to rebuild Jerusalem until Mes·siʹah the Leader, there will be 7 weeks, also 62 weeks. She will be restored and rebuilt, with a public square and moat, but in times of distress. 26 “And after the 62 weeks, Mes·siʹah will be cut off, with nothing for himself. “And the people of a leader who is coming will destroy the city and the holy place. And its end will be by the flood. And until the end there will be war; what is decided upon is desolations. 27 “And he will keep the covenant in force for the many for one week; and at the half of the week, he will cause sacrifice and gift offering to cease. “And on the wing of disgusting things there will be the one causing desolation; and until an extermination, what was decided on will be poured out also on the one lying desolate.”

December 11, 2017 5:36 PM MST

• Thank you :)
      December 17, 2017 6:03 AM MST

Great exposition of the subject here:

https://www.beliefnet.com/faiths/judaism/2000/06/why-jews-dont-accept-jesus.aspx
      December 11, 2017 6:09 PM MST

December 17, 2017 6:03 AM MST

Q "Why don’t Jews accept Jesus as Lord?"

If by Lord you mean God, then you will be aware that

a] Jews are very strict monotheists. The idea of a man being God would be blasphemous to a Jew.

b] Jesus was a Jew and as such the idea that he or anyone else apart from the heavenly Father being God would have been blasphemous to him too. In Mark 12:29 Jesus repeats verbatim the sacred Old Testament Shemaof Deuteronomy 6:4: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord’  and in John 17:3 Jesus openly and clearly declared the Father to be "the ONLY true God" He saw himself as a prophet as we can see from Mark 6:4 where referring to himself he said, "A prophet is not without honor except in his own town, among his relatives and in his own home. 

c] Those around Jesus regarded him as a prophet, and, according to Matthew 21:11, it was not just the odd person or two, but "the multitude said, This is Jesus the PROPHET of Nazareth of Galilee".

d] Also after the departure of Jesus from earth in Acts 2:22 no less a person than Peter himself reminds people, saying, "Fellow Israelites, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth WAS a MAN approved OF GOD among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which GOD DID by him in the midst of you, as you yourselves know."

e] Even Paul, the author of much of Christian doctrine, appears not to regard Jesus as God, according to 1 Corinthians 8:6 where he is reported as saying “ yet for us there is one God, the Father ……………………………………….. and one Lord, Jesus Christ…. ”

f] Between the 1st and 4th centuries there were many Christian groups, the Ebionites among them, who did not regard Jesus as God. The New Encyclopædia Britannica says: “Neither the word Trinity, nor the explicit doctrine as such, appears in the New Testament, nor did Jesus and his followers intend to contradict the Shema in the Old Testament: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord’ (Deuteronomy 6:4). . . . The doctrine developed gradually over several centuries and through many controversies. . . . By the end of the 4th century . . . the doctrine of the Trinity took substantially the form it has maintained ever since.”—(1976), Micropædia, Vol. X, p. 126.

g] Christians agree that the trinity, in which Jesus is God, is an evolved doctrine and that in 325 the council of Nicea developed it further and in 385 the council of Constantinople ratified it and it became authoritative at the council of Chalcedon in 451

h] There are, to this day, many Christians groups who do not accept Jesus as God. These include The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (aka the Mormons), the Jehovah's Witnesses, the Christadelphians, the Living Church of God, Oneness Pentecostals and the Unitarian Universalist Christians, to mention but a few.

December 12, 2017 11:58 AM MST

December 17, 2017 6:02 AM MST

True that on the trinity and true that Lord does not mean God, although many English translations have replaced God's name with titles like LORD. Also Jesus was the prophet that was to come into the world as spoken of by Moses but that doesn't mean that was/is all he was/is but far more.

(Matthew 21:11) The crowds kept saying: “This is the prophet Jesus, from Nazʹa·reth of Galʹi·lee!”
    (John 1:45) Philip found Na·thanʹa·el and said to him: “We have found the one of whom Moses, in the Law, and the Prophets wrote: Jesus, the son of Joseph, from Nazʹa·reth.”
    (John 6:14) When the people saw the sign he performed, they began to say: “This really is the Prophet who was to come into the world.”
    (Deuteronomy 18:15) Jehovah your God will raise up for you from among your brothers a prophet like me. You must listen to him.
      December 17, 2017 7:06 AM MST

Muslims accept Jesus as a prophet, but they also accept Mohammed as a prophet, coming from the lineage of Abraham and delivering the same essential message that Abraham, Moses and Jesus did. The message of one God and the need to do His will, that is live by His laws. Abraham, Moses, Jesus and Mohammed all lived by God's laws and taught their followers to do likewise. In Matthew 5:19 Jesus warned, “Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven” So Jesus too taught that we should do God's will, keep his commandments and said, “For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother” (Matthew 12:50). Muslims accept that the law of God is binding

God warns in Deuteronomy 18:19 that "It shall come about that whoever will not listen to My words which he [My prophet] shall speak in My name, I Myself will require it of him"
      December 17, 2017 1:20 PM MST

The Mosaic Law was binding for the Jews at that time. As prophesied, after Jesus death after his 3.5 year or half week ministry after his anointing, he was to cause sacrifice and such to cease. 

(Daniel 9:24-27) ...27 “And he will keep the covenant in force for the many for one week; and at the half of the week, he will cause sacrifice and gift offering to cease. “And on the wing of disgusting things there will be the one causing desolation; and until an extermination, what was decided on will be poured out also on the one lying desolate.”

Matthew 5 '17Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them. 18 for I tell you truly, until heaven and earth pass away, not a single jot, not a stroke of a pen, will disappear from the law until everything is accomplished.

(John 19:30) When he had received the sour wine, Jesus said: “It has been accomplished!” and bowing his head, he gave up his spirit.
    (Romans 10:4) For Christ is the end of the Law, so that everyone exercising faith may have righteousness.
    (Ephesians 2:15) By means of his flesh he abolished the enmity, the Law of commandments consisting in decrees, in order to make the two groups in union with himself into one new man and to make peace,
    (Colossians 2:13, 14) Furthermore, though you were dead in your trespasses and in the uncircumcised state of your flesh, God made you alive together with him. He kindly forgave us all our trespasses 14 and erased the handwritten document that consisted of decrees and was in opposition to us. He has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the torture stake.

December 17, 2017 2:02 PM MST