Discussion » Questions » Politics » I thought it was against the law to threaten the President of the U.S.A. with assassination. Why are people getting away with it today?

I thought it was against the law to threaten the President of the U.S.A. with assassination. Why are people getting away with it today?

https://www.cnn.com/2017/06/23/politics/johnny-depp-apology-donald-trump-assassination/index.html

Posted - December 12, 2017

Responses

A few thoughts come to mind.
    #1.  Denial.  People don't really want to believe he's the President. 
    #2.  When people used to say things like that others believed them.  Now-a-days, if it doesn't directly to them, they are just making sounds and don't do a thing.
    #3.   No one does what they say they are going to do and even if they did, others wouldn't take them seriously.
      December 12, 2017 11:38 AM MST

Hi Merlin. Yes, but I thought it was against the law to threaten the White House or the President of the USA. If this happened to Obama instead of President Trump, somebody would have been arrested by now. I dont care how many idiots dont like the President, or if the threats are taking seriously or not. A threat is a threat, and anyone occupying the office of President of our country, should have the same protection under the law.
      December 12, 2017 11:42 AM MST

Hi carbon :) To the best of my knowledge, it is still the law.  
     My personal opinions of the President, I keep to myself.  Good or bad, he does need the respect he deserves and definitely needs to be protected.
    We the People.  We elected him into office.  I am a strong believer in this.  WE need to stand behind him and support the decisions he makes for us.  The police took an oath as well to protect the citizens of the United States.  I am sure he qualifies.

December 12, 2017 12:06 PM MST

Thank you Merlin, I completely agree. Nice response by the way. :)))
      December 12, 2017 12:12 PM MST

Thanks carbon :)))  Love, Merlin
      December 12, 2017 12:24 PM MST

It's not that clear cut.

This is well written, and because it has a lot of pictures, it's a quick read:

https://www.metro.us/president-trump/what-happens-when-you-threaten-the-president
      December 12, 2017 12:21 PM MST

Thanks tom jackson, Ill check it out. I just think our President deserves some respect. We should be ashamed of ourselves as a country for being so crass. (some of us anyway) ;)
      December 12, 2017 12:26 PM MST

Well, I respect the devil.  [As St Thomas More once said, I would give the devil the protection of the law for MY sake. (Not the devil's sake.)]

But like the devil, I also respect Trump---and it is for that precise reason that I can neither admire nor esteem Trump either.

Respect used to imply simply that one knew precisely what a person was saying [respect---from re and spicere"  to "look again" (and see clearly)]  

Decimate used to mean to destroy one tenth.  Now it means to devastate.  I hate to lose that type of precision of though.
      December 12, 2017 12:36 PM MST

I'm not sure if it is or not. What I'm surprised of is that it hasn't happened yet. 
      December 12, 2017 10:10 PM MST