Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Can you trust the Bible? - Below are some links that may at least help you to understand SOME of the reasons I do, if you care.

Can you trust the Bible? - Below are some links that may at least help you to understand SOME of the reasons I do, if you care.

I often get ridiculed on here when I post a verse or something. Recently someone made a post that I only believe the Bible because the Bible says to. Recently someone that ridicules the Bible said they had not read the Bible as they already know that the Bible is only fantasy. I know that I often come off offensive when people are attacking the Bible and I know I should not, even the Bible speaks against my doing that. I feel that some opposers may be sincere while others may just like to argue, ridicule, have an agenda or whatever. Anyway, for the sincere:

Can you trust the Bible?

Historical Soundness

Scientific Accuracy

Fulfilled Prophecy

(EDITED for those that didn't realize that the above are clickable links)

Posted - December 19, 2017

Responses

Did you know that that site about the religion of peace keeps tabs on the latest 30 days of terror inflicted by Muslims? Here's just the past 10 days:

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/attacks/attacks.aspx?Yr=Last30

DateCountryCityKilledInjuredDescription 2018.02.11 Indonesia Yogyakarta 0 4 A knife-wielding attacker wounds four worshippers at a church. 2018.02.10 Pakistan Kohistan 3 0 A man guns down two adulterers and a family member in the name of honor. 2018.02.10 Pakistan Dera Ismail Khan 1 0 A Shiite trader is gunned down at his dairy shop by Lashkar-e-Jhangvi. 2018.02.10 India Sunjawan 2 4 A woman is among the casualties when Fedayeen stage a suicide assault on a local military camp. 2018.02.10 Afghanistan Nawa 6 8 A brutal attack by armed fundamentalists on a police checkpoint leaves six dead. 2018.02.10 Afghanistan Ghor 1 0 A secular judge is murdered by radicals advocating for Sharia. 2018.02.10 Mali Mopti 5 18 Five civilians are shredded by Islamist shrapnel. 2018.02.10 Iraq Yusufiya 1 2 Terrorists set off a bomb at a market the kills a bystander. 2018.02.09 Libya Benghazi 2 143 Islamists plant two bombs at a rival mosque, killing two. 2018.02.09 Iraq Khanaqin 7 3 Islamists roll up on a popular café and riddle it with bullets, killing seven. 2018.02.09 Australia Melbourne 0 1 A sleeping man is stabbed in the neck by a Bangladeshi woman who cited the Islamic State. 2018.02.08 Iraq Ramadi 1 14 A suicide bomber takes one other person with him. 2018.02.08 Pakistan Pano Akil 1 0 A 19-year-old woman is shot to death by her brother over suspicion of unIslamic activity. 2018.02.07 USA Tahlequah, OK 0 1 A Muslim yelling 'Allah' stabs a non-Muslim following an argument over religion. 2018.02.07 Somalia Mogadishu 1 0 An off-duty local soldier is gunned down near a university. 2018.02.07 Somalia Afgoye 2 4 An al-Shabaab bomb blast claims two lives. 2018.02.07 Iraq Kifri 20 0 Twenty civilians are discovered in an ISIS mass grave. 2018.02.07 Syria Damascus 2 2 Two civilians are laid out by Sunni shelling. 2018.02.07 Syria Shajara 1 0 A woman is stoned to death for adultery. 2018.02.07 Pakistan Hailal Khail 1 0 A tribal elder bleeds to death following an Islamic bomb blast. 2018.02.07 Afghanistan Greshk 1 7 Fundamentalists spray bullets into a police checkpoint, killing one member. 2018.02.07 Pakistan Mir Ali 2 4 Islamists send a rocket into a passing security patrol, killing two members. 2018.02.06 India Srinagar 2 2 Hizbul Mujahideen members murder two prison guards on a trip to the hospital. 2018.02.06 Somalia Mogadishu 3 0 Three people are shot and killed by al-Shabaab outside a university. 2018.02.06 Syria Bab Toumah 4 9 Four civilians are killed when terrorists lob a mortar into the central square of a Christian district during a humanitarian drive. 2018.02.06 Iraq Abu Saida 1 0 A fruit vendor is shot to death by Jihadis. 2018.02.06 Nigeria Baaki 8 0 Eight locals lose their lives to a Muslim terror attack on a quiet village. 2018.02.06 Syria Idlib 6 30 Two children are among six refugees blown to bits by Sunni shrapnel. 2018.02.06 Iraq Kirkuk 1 0 A university professor is assassinated by suspected Sharia advocates. 2018.02.05 Iraq Shoala 1 1 Suspected Mujahideen hurl a grenade into a home, killing one person. 2018.02.05 Pakistan Karachi 1 1 Muslim terrorists gun down a Chinese national at a market. 2018.02.05 Afghanistan Kandahar 3 0 Suspected fundamentalists gun down three civilians at a market. 2018.02.05 Mali Gossi 2 0 Two local soldiers are shot in the head by Jihadists. 2018.02.05 Iraq Baghdad 1 6 Mujahideen set off a bomb along a busy market street, killing one. 2018.02.05 Thailand Muang 1 0 A Buddhist is shot to death at a food shop by Muslim 'rebels'. 2018.02.05 Iraq Hamrin 6 0 An ultra-hardline Sunni group murders six Iraqis guarding an oil route. 2018.02.05 Israel Ariel 1 0 A 29-year-old father of four is stabbed to death by an Arab terrorist. 2018.02.04 Cameroon Hitawa 6 2 Islamists attack a peaceful community, set fire to homes and kill six residents, including a pregnant woman. 2018.02.04 Somalia Odweyne 4 0 Women and children are among four killed by a bomb planted in their home. 2018.02.04 Nigeria Kala 1 1 Boko Haram murder a refugee and set him on fire. 2018.02.04 Egypt el-Arish 3 5 Three people are killed when Islamists target a pickup truck with a bomb. 2018.02.04 Iraq Mamoun 3 0 Three children are discovered with bullets to the back of the head in an area controlled by the Islamic State. 2018.02.04 Nigeria Alau-Kofa 2 1 Two people are burned alive by Islamic activists. 2018.02.04 Thailand Pa Rai 1 0 A villger is slain by suspected Muslim 'insurgents'. 2018.02.03 Afghanistan Farahrod 1 6 A young police officer is shot to death at a checkpoint by the Taliban. 2018.02.03 Iraq Qahtaniya 70 0 Seventy Yazidi civilians are found in a mass ISIS grave. 2018.02.03 Mali Talataye 4 0 Four civilians are eliminated by Jihadis. 2018.02.03 Afghanistan Sherin Tagab 5 4 Five guards are left dead following an attack by armed fundamentalists on a political office. 2018.02.03 Pakistan Swat 11 13 A suicide bomber targets off-duty local soldiers playing volleyball, killing three. 2018.02.03 Cameroon Yawa 2 0 A student is among two civilians murdered by Boko Haram. 2018.02.02 DRC Kitevya 3 0 Muslim radicals attack a health center, shooting two guards and hacking dead another. 2018.02.02 Afghanistan Gilan 3 5 Two women and a child are disassembled by Taliban bombers. 2018.02.01 Egypt Arish 1 1 Jihadi snipers pick off a local cop. 2018.02.01 Somalia Taredishe 3 3 al-Shabaab shrapnel claims the lives of two telecommunications employees and a passerby. 2018.02.01 Philippines Patikul 2 4 An Abu Sayyaf ambush of a private vehicle leaves two dead. 2018.02.01 Nigeria Maiduguri 4 44 A suicide bomber infiltrates a refugee camp and takes down four innocents. 2018.02.01 India Khyala 1 0 A Hindu man's throat is slit for being in a relationship with a Muslim woman.
    n
    (Matthew 7:15-20) “Be on the watch for the false prophets who come to you in sheep’s covering, but inside they are ravenous wolves. 16 By their fruits you will recognize them. Never do people gather grapes from thorns or figs from thistles, do they? 17 Likewise, every good tree produces fine fruit, but every rotten tree produces worthless fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear worthless fruit, nor can a rotten tree produce fine fruit. 19 Every tree not producing fine fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Really, then, by their fruits you will recognize those men.

(John 16:2) Men will expel you from the synagogue. In fact, the hour is coming when everyone who kills you will think he has offered a sacred service to God.
      February 11, 2018 1:57 PM MST

What you posted is not connected to our discussion and anyone using our God given reason can see that people who keep tabs on killings by members of only one religion and not on killings by members of other religions or non religion have an agenda. Those who don't think and question buy it blindly and fan the flames of hatred and bigotry. Blind following without critical and rational thinking is never a good thing.

Anyway, as you have not seen anything wrong in my last post we'll leave it here.

May God, no matter how you or I see Him, help us discuss our differences without bitterness.

February 11, 2018 5:21 PM MST

People who keep tabs on supposed contradictions of only one religious book and not on known contradictions of other religious books or non religious books has an agenda.

There are only two people in this thread. One has a religion ironically known as the religion of peace and the other believes in a religion that has proven to be peaceful. Don't see the point in bringing other religions into it but you can if you like. 
      February 13, 2018 4:25 PM MST

Your first point sounds right to me. But if you're hinting at me, you'll have to give a link to the website where you're implying I keep those tabs.

Your second paragraph points to your own selective association and dissociation of violence with religions. I have my own views on that.
      February 13, 2018 5:44 PM MST

You can't show where I keep tabs on killings by members of only one religion either, can you? I have saved some links to Catholic Encyclopedias to share with Catholics when they start attacking JW's as most of their atrocities are back in time from Rwanda. Just a quick google search usually reveals the latest modern Islamic terror. I might try to keep that one one the last 30 days though as I didn't know they kept up with it or that it was even that prevalent. It seems it only hits the news here when Americans or Jews are victims.

I imagine you have your own views on this too:
    (John 13:35) By this all will know that you are my disciples—if you have love among yourselves.”
      February 13, 2018 7:38 PM MST

Prejudices can lead to making connections that are not there.

Your question "You can't show where I keep tabs on killings by members of only one religion either, can you?" implies that I was referring to you keeping tabs, when I said "people who keep tabs on killings by members of only one religion and not on killings by members of other religions or non religion have an agenda."

well first reread this comment of yours [highlighting is mine] "Did you know that that site about the religion of peace keeps tabs on the latest 30 days of terror inflicted by Muslims? Here's just the past 10 days:" and then reread this response of mine to it:

"anyone using our God given reason can see that people who keep tabs on killings by members of only one religion and not on killings by members of other religions or non religion have an agenda. Those who don't think and question buy it blindly and fan the flames of hatred and bigotry. Blind following without critical and rational thinking is never a good thing."

You'll see that it is very clear I was not referring to you but the people of that site you copy pasted from.

May God, no matter how you or I see Him, help us discuss our differences without bitterness.

February 13, 2018 8:13 PM MST

It's a shame that there is so much Islamic terror for a site to keep tabs on. It seems that most other terrorist commit terrible deeds in spite of their religious affiliation. Much of the Islamic terror seems to be done due to their understanding of their beliefs.
      February 19, 2018 4:13 AM MST

Those who care to think a bit more deeply don't see it that way. 
      February 19, 2018 5:18 AM MST

Do you not get news where you are at? Do you not see ISIS, Al Qaeda, Boko Haram, Haqqani, Hezbollah, Hamas etc claiming responsibility?
    Here is one list of terrorist groups. Probably not all are Islamic but I bet a portion of them probably are.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_designated_terrorist_groups

How do you see it when they holler something like allahu akbar when they are blowing themselves up or something?

How do you see it? Or is this gonna be another: "I have not given them thought because they are not important to me"?
      February 19, 2018 6:21 AM MST

If you're really interested in the truth you'll need to dig a little deeper than what you read or see on the surface.

Examples of questions you might want answers to include:

Which countries are these groups operating from?
    Why only from those countries?
    Which countries are most of their attacks in?
    Why only in those countries?
    When did these groups come into existence and why?
    These groups cause deaths, injuries and destruction but they are not the regular army of any country.
    What about regular armies of countries - do they cause any deaths, injuries and destruction?
    Who has caused more deaths, injuries and destruction these groups or the regular armies?
    What's it all about, really?

February 20, 2018 5:28 AM MST

Don't really get your point. It seems that everyone on both sides of conflicts thinks that they are right and often they also think that God is on their side, 'Christians', Muslims, or whoever. Seems  they all think God will not act so they take matters in to their own hands.

If there was no God then yes, fight for all of your rights tooth and nail.

(Matthew 5:43-47) “You heard that it was said: ‘You must love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 However, I say to you: Continue to love your enemies and to pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may prove yourselves sons of your Father who is in the heavens, since he makes his sun rise on both the wicked and the good and makes it rain on both the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 For if you love those loving you, what reward do you have? Are not also the tax collectors doing the same thing? 47 And if you greet your brothers only, what extraordinary thing are you doing? Are not also the people of the nations doing the same thing?
    (Luke 10:29-37) But wanting to prove himself righteous, the man said to Jesus: “Who really is my neighbor?” 30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jerʹi·cho and fell victim to robbers, who stripped him, beat him, and went off, leaving him half-dead. 31 Now by coincidence a priest was going down on that road, but when he saw him, he passed by on the opposite side. 32 Likewise, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the opposite side. 33 But a certain Sa·marʹi·tan traveling the road came upon him, and at seeing him, he was moved with pity. 34 So he approached him and bandaged his wounds, pouring oil and wine on them. Then he mounted him on his own animal and brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two de·narʹi·i, gave them to the innkeeper, and said: ‘Take care of him, and whatever you spend besides this, I will repay you when I return.’ 36 Who of these three seems to you to have made himself neighbor to the man who fell victim to the robbers?” 37 He said: “The one who acted mercifully toward him.” Jesus then said to him: “Go and do the same yourself.”
      February 20, 2018 8:39 AM MST

yep, look a bit deeper and often things are very different from, sometimes even the opposite of, what appears to be the case.

There are many, including the families of those who died, who have looked deeper into the 9/11 events and have found out more than what we get from the official stories.
      February 20, 2018 9:37 AM MST

Still don't get what you are saying. Vengeance begets vengeance. Many Americans think everything they do is right. Many perceived enemies of Americans think everything they do is right. 

(Romans 12:17-21) Return evil for evil to no one. Take into consideration what is fine from the viewpoint of all men. 18 If possible, as far as it depends on you, be peaceable with all men. 19 Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but yield place to the wrath; for it is written: “‘Vengeance is mine; I will repay,’ says Jehovah.” 20 But “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by doing this you will heap fiery coals on his head.” 21 Do not let yourself be conquered by the evil, but keep conquering the evil with the good.

Why not just come out and say what you are hinting at? Airplanes didn't hit the towers? Bib Laden wasn't behind airplanes hitting the towers? The terrorist were justified in killing all the people they killed that day as it was Americas fault?

What I get is that there are pawns of Satan on both sides of armed conflicts. God's Kingdom is the hope for mankind, not military might or terrorism.
      February 20, 2018 11:36 AM MST

try reading up about false flag operations
      February 20, 2018 2:51 PM MST

Can't you just speak plain English? If you think I am going to somehow think that one act of violence justifies another act of violence as Islam and Churches of Christendom seem to teach, not going to happen. I know why there is all of this bloodletting and it's not from God. No Country, no political entity, no religion, not ethnicity has God backing their wars today.
      February 20, 2018 5:48 PM MST

I do not want to prolong this dialogue. If you read up, you will be better informed. You don't have to change your "I know why there is all of this bloodletting and it's not from God. No Country, no political entity, no religion, not ethnicity has God backing their wars today."

February 21, 2018 4:45 AM MST

I googled it last night. Conspiracy theories, yes?
    All the ones blowing themselves up on the streets, in markets and other such show the willingness to commit the same type of terrorism. No reason to think they would not blow up larger targets if capable. It takes a special kind of person with a special kind of indoctrination to blow oneself up to take out their perceived enemies and/or their families. American politicians with their political goals don't seem to fit.
      February 21, 2018 6:34 AM MST

"American politicians with their political goals don't seem to fit" so it must be "Conspiracy theories, yes?" >>> Absolutely spot on according to governments who are implicated. However, those who examine and question government explanations with great scepticism expect governments to dismiss their questioning with the very effective phrase "conspiracy theories" Mind you sometimes governments  are caught red handed and have no credible cover up story [see what the survivors of The USS Liberty had to say about the cover up story and see The Lavon Affair - where there was no cover up story and a government minister was made the scapegoat]

If "It takes a special kind of person with a special kind of indoctrination to blow oneself up to take out their perceived enemies and/or their families." then Samson must have been the first such person or suicide terrorist and extremely special because he single handedly with just one incident and no explosive at all must have taken out over 6000 [six thousand] of his perceived enemies [the upper floor alone had 3,000] A record yet unbroken in over 2,000 years and not likely to be broken anytime soon.

This post was edited by CLURT at February 21, 2018 10:12 AM MST
      February 21, 2018 10:07 AM MST

Was there a suicide bomber in: "The USS Liberty had to say about the cover up story and see The Lavon Affair "?
    No promise of afterlife with virgins and such for motivation, was there?

Was Samson going to live ether way? Did he go out of his way or have a network of religious nuts helping him with plans and targets?

No comparison to modern Islamic terrorism.

February 21, 2018 12:17 PM MST

some people can be prompted to do independent inquiry and become better informed [to their own benefit, of course, assuming that being better informed is good] For others everything is either so obviously black or so  obviously white that there is no need for complicating the issue with any shades in between. They may also find repeating the same old cliches quite amusing and satisfying. Each to his/her own I expect.
      February 21, 2018 5:18 PM MST

You might try that and then you can see a difference instead of using Samson as validation for Islamic terror.
      February 21, 2018 6:31 PM MST

those fired by deep hatred might continue to use it but "Islamic terror" is so cliched and moronic that even the media don't use it that often any more. However, that use of the word "validation" is new thinking
      February 22, 2018 5:44 AM MST

Isn't hatred that motivates those that blow themselves up?
    Isn't it their understanding of their religion that allows them to do that? I would think that you would say that they misunderstand the Quran or their religion or something rather than try to justify their actions as if there is a legitimate reason.

Your justifications on Islamic Terror are a bit concerning. 

•  
      Do you not get news where you are at? Do you not see ISIS, Al Qaeda, Boko Haram, Haqqani, Hezbollah, Hamas etc claiming responsibility?
      Here is one list of terrorist groups. Probably not all are Islamic but I bet a portion of them probably are.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_designated_terrorist_groups

How do you see it when they holler something like allahu akbar when they are blowing themselves up or something?

How do you see it? Or is this gonna be another: "I have not given them thought because they are not important to me"?
         February 19, 2018 5:21 AM 

•  
      If you're really interested in the truth you'll need to dig a little deeper than what you read or see on the surface.

Examples of questions you might want answers to include:

Which countries are these groups operating from?
      Why only from those countries?
      Which countries are most of their attacks in?
      Why only in those countries?
      When did these groups come into existence and why?
      These groups cause deaths, injuries and destruction but they are not the regular army of any country.
      What about regular armies of countries - do they cause any deaths, injuries and destruction?
      Who has caused more deaths, injuries and destruction these groups or the regular armies?
      What's it all about, really?

February 20, 2018 4:28 AM PST
      February 22, 2018 9:27 AM MST

"Isn't hatred that motivates those that blow themselves up?" >>> I'm not in touch with them. I'm in touch with you and your posts and hatred does seem to be a prime motivator.

"Isn't it their understanding of their religion that allows them to do that?" >>> No thinking person would say religion had anything to do with it, but you can do so if you want to. People have all sorts of understandings of religions and use them as an excuse for all sorts of things.

"Your justifications on Islamic Terror are a bit concerning." >>> you are obsessed by the subject, can't stop talking about the "justification" and are convinced it is religion and I expect it's you who's finding it "concerning". 
      February 22, 2018 12:57 PM MST

February 22, 2018 4:20 PM MST