Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » If you're a person who believes in the concept of prophecy, do you think modern times are included in it, or only ancient times? ~

If you're a person who believes in the concept of prophecy, do you think modern times are included in it, or only ancient times? ~

For instance, have all prophecies already been fulfilled, or are some prophecies being lived out/experienced today, or are there still some prophecies that have not yet begun?

Posted - December 21, 2017

Responses

Yes, no.  No, yes, yes. 
      December 21, 2017 8:55 AM MST

I have to agree with Bozette. ;)
      December 21, 2017 9:06 AM MST

Copy cat.  Reported.

~
      December 21, 2017 10:48 PM MST

At least ya didn't report me. I knewed that deep down ya really liked me better than carbon. Like a brother from another mother.
      February 6, 2018 6:49 AM MST

I agree with carbonproduct who agrees with Bozette!

Here's a prophecy that helped me to have faith in the Bible. It was fulfilled in the first century that was written centuries in advance:
    How Daniel’s Prophecy Foretells the Messiah’s Arrival

Here are a few other reasons that I have confidence in the Bible and the prophecies therein:
    Can you trust the Bible?

Modern prophecies: 

6 Bible Prophecies You Are Seeing Fulfilled

May 1, 2011

6 Bible Prophecies You Are Seeing Fulfilled

FROM OUR COVER

Trouble That Leads to Hope

Prophecy 1. Earthquakes

Prophecy 2. Famine

Prophecy 3. Disease

Prophecy 4. Lack of Natural Love

Prophecy 5. Ruining of the Earth

Prophecy 6. A Global Preaching Work

10 Better Times Just Ahead!

December 21, 2017 9:24 AM MST

I agree with texasescimo for agreeing with me when agreeing with Bozette. ;)
      December 21, 2017 9:34 AM MST

• I believe that modern events have a connection with Biblical prophecy. Just as Biblical admonition has been a handbook for living, prophecy has been a "GPS" of sorts as to where we stand in God's overall plan. We can discern trends in our modern world and see where events are leading and how they correspond with prophesy. We have a way to go before we see all of the loose ends tied together in a neat package, but I'm one that feels that we're extremely close to the culmination of worldly events. 
      December 21, 2017 11:05 AM MST

Yes. 
    (Matthew 24:1- 33)1... 32“Now learn this illustration from the fig tree: Just as soon as its young branch grows tender and sprouts its leaves, you know that summer is near. 33 Likewise also you, when you see all these things, know that he is near at the doors.

(2 Timothy 3:1-5) But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, 5 having an appearance of godliness but proving false to its power; and from these turn away.
      February 6, 2018 6:51 AM MST

Yes, I believe in prophecy.  Yes, they apply to modern times.
    Yes, there are phrophecies yet to be fulfilled.
      December 21, 2017 7:27 PM MST

depends on what the prophesy is
      December 22, 2017 4:02 PM MST

Q "If you're a person who believes in the concept of prophecy, do you think modern times are included in it, or only ancient times? ~ For instance, have all prophecies already been fulfilled, or are some prophecies being lived out/experienced today, or are there still some prophecies that have not yet begun?"

I presume you're talking about prophecies in the Bible and not in "Les Propheties" the book by Nostradamus or any other writings.

Even if we take the Bible it depends on who you ask.

According to Jews Jesus did not fulfill the messianic prophecies.

For example, the Bible says that the Messiah will:
    Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).
    Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 43:5-6).
    Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. As it says: "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)
    Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: "God will be King over all the world – on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah 14:9).

If an individual fails to fulfill even one of these conditions, then he cannot be the Messiah.
    Because no one has ever fulfilled the Bible's description of this future King, Jews still await the coming of the Messiah. All past Messianic claimants, including Jesus of Nazareth, Bar Cochba and Shabbtai Tzvi have been rejected.

To counter Christian claims that Jesus will fulfill the prophecies in the Second Coming Jews point to Jewish sources which show that the Messiah will fulfill the prophecies outright and claim that no concept of a second coming exists in the Bible.
      January 2, 2018 9:23 AM MST

If I am mistaken and/or speaking out of turn, I expect Mr. D will soon be along to set me straight, but my take on his question is that he wants to know what you believe about the concept of prophecy, without having it tied to any specific belief system.  
      January 2, 2018 9:43 AM MST

It's good to know about different takes on the same subject. It forms a basis for good discussion and broadens our knowledge. My answer was of course based on my take on the question. I referred to Nostradamus in my answer so you'd know that in my concept its meaning is not confined to religious belief systems, unless you regard "Les Propheties" as a religious scripture. Also part of my concept is that if you're a non-believer then prophecy has nothing to do with prophets as understood in religions like the Abrahamic faiths. Muslims believe that the Bible tells of a prophet to come after Jesus and that that prophecy found fulfillment in Mohammed as the final prophet to mankind.

My answer gives a feeling of my concept of prophecy and this post I hope has added a tiny bit more to that. I can tell you much, much more, but if I say more without knowing exactly what your interest is I will run the risk of boring you.
      January 2, 2018 11:40 AM MST

I am well aware that prophecy is not limited to religion, that it differs between religions,  and can even differ greatly amongst those of the same religion.  I did not, however, glean your belief in prophecy overall or as to the specific questions asked in your response.  
      January 2, 2018 12:06 PM MST

"I am well aware that prophecy is not limited to religion, that it differs between religions,  and can even differ greatly amongst those of the same religion." That expresses part of your belief about the concept of prophecy. I fully agree with that, and as such it expresses part of my belief about the concept of prophecy.

I have now posted quite a bit on the concept of prophecy and I think one can glean more of my belief in general from that than one could if I had posted something like your answer.

If you want to know whether I consult astrologers, palm readers or any other people who claim to have the ability to tell the future then no I don't have much faith in that aspect of the concept of prophecy
      January 2, 2018 12:57 PM MST

I could not glean anything regarding your belief from your original reply to the question as you simply explained why Jews disagree with Christian prophecy.

Enjoy your afternoon, Clurt. 
      January 2, 2018 1:32 PM MST

Thanks, and you too Bozette.

Anything else you want to know about my take, just ask
      January 2, 2018 2:53 PM MST

Quote: "Anything else you want to know about my take, just ask"

Lol. I tried to get your take on one of your taunts of the Bible and all I got was:
    https://answermug.com/forums/topic/48301/if-vatican-catholicism-is-mystery-babylon-what-are-the-daughter/view/page/2
    "my position on the five points is that I have not given them thought because they are not important to me"
      February 19, 2018 4:07 AM MST

Maybe you are interested in and have given thought to everything in the universe, but I certainly haven't. So, "I have not given it any thought" will be my position on many things, I guess. 

Your taunt about "taunts"? I have lost count of how many times I've responded to that one.
      February 19, 2018 5:08 AM MST

If you can say: "I have not given it any thought"

Then how can you say: "there was obvious confusion and some apparent contradictions"

Just another thoughtless taunt?
      February 19, 2018 6:24 AM MST

Don't know why I have to explain the obvious. It's a waste of time. Anyway, since you asked - just because I'm aware of something and mention it doesn't mean I have looked into it in more detail and given it thought.

Perhaps I should use your terminology and call your posts to me taunts.
      February 19, 2018 4:25 PM MST

Well perhaps you should keep your predetermined uneducated opinion to yourself until you have time to give it a little thought? Of course you don't have to but I can call foul when I see it as well.
      February 19, 2018 5:29 PM MST

Thank you, Bozette; your keen perspective is welcomed with gratitude. My post does not suggest any particular ideology or dogma, merely what it states: the concept. It's refreshing to have someone read something for its face value rather than assume, causing them to read between lines that aren't even there. 

(You either know me too well or you read for comprehension, LOL.)

~
      January 2, 2018 5:37 PM MST

Welcome.  :)

(Both.)
      January 2, 2018 7:10 PM MST