Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » According to some GOD is responsible for all creation. What humans do with it is all on us. Isn't it?

According to some GOD is responsible for all creation. What humans do with it is all on us. Isn't it?

Posted - December 22, 2017

Responses

I don't believe in a deity.

But if I did, I would have to question the whole "free will" answer.
    If god is all-knowing, he would have known how we "misuse" his creation even before he created anything.
    And being all-powerful; he could have made it impossible for us to do so, while retaining our free-will.
    Thus, it follows that god would be just as responsible for "evil" as we are.

December 22, 2017 1:40 PM MST

Well, if you every do come to believe in a deity, the whole "free will" answer will make considerably more sense to you.
      December 22, 2017 1:56 PM MST

Sorry, Tom ... but the only way I'll come to believe in a deity is if it presents itself to me and answers some hard questions.
    Questions that nobody could answer to my satisfaction, during my upbringing in the Christian religion.
      December 22, 2017 2:04 PM MST

No problem, Walt.

December 22, 2017 2:36 PM MST

That's cool Walt. You don't have to believe in anything that doesn't make sense to you.  I sure as he** don't. The issue here is twofold. We cannot blame GOD for what we do with what HE gave us . It is TWO separat e things entirely. Let me put it to you this way. God creates a car. Whether you win the Indianapolis 500 with it of plow into a group of people and  kill them is entirely all on you He had nothing to do with it. Get it? Thank you for your reply. I'm gonna ask the question and see what comes back if anything.
      December 22, 2017 2:23 PM MST

Of course He is responsible.
    If you know someone wants to buy a gun to go on a killing spree, and you sell that person a gun, you are held as partially responsible for those deaths.

Since god is all-knowing (and all-powerful), He is likewise partially responsible for our evil actions.
      December 26, 2017 7:09 AM MST

OK Walt. Here are my thoughts on this subject . Your setup absolves humans of any responsibility for their actions. They are blameless for what they do per you because the faults lies NOT with them but with their creator. Very convenient defense you provide to all mankind. I don't buy it.  Here's why. Are you the exact same person you were 20 years ago or 10 or 5? Have you not evolved, matured, become a better human being? While it is true that the POTENTIAL for evil lies within each of us it is also equally true that the POTENTIAL for good lies within each of us too. I don't presume to defend God or speak for Him. I am not that presumptuous. What I am doing is giving you my thoughts on the subject. Your 16-year-old drives to a party where alcohol will be served. The potential exists that he'l get drunk, drive drunk, kill someone. You CAN'T know in advance what choices he will make. They are up to him not you. Your position is that GOD already knows the outcome of everything. I think God is aware of potential. After all didn't He create it? Within potential lies a scale of outcomes any one of which is possible. I think that is where human responsibility kicks in. Unless God intervenes and prevents your kid from choosing it is on your kid what condition he is in when he gets behind the wheel. Do you live your life blaming God for all your failures/wrongdoing or do you accept the responsibility for your choices? I'm just saying are you just talking the talk or do you also walk the walk? I am totally and completely responsible for everything I say/do. How it turns out often isn't what I had hoped or planned or foreseen. I am not trying to convince you of anything. I am simply explaining to you why your view and mine differ. Hope you had a very Merry Christmas and have a Happy Tuesday! I am not interested at all in changing what or how people think. Nor am I interested in agreeing with things that make no sense to me. No disrespect intended here but what you said seems nonsensical to me. :) This post was edited by RosieG at December 26, 2017 7:41 AM MST
      December 26, 2017 7:38 AM MST

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.
    Neither god nor humans are totally responsible.
    Both parties must share the blame (if there is a god).

If God only knows the potential outcomes ... then He is not "all knowing".  He has no more knowledge than a mere mortal.
    But according to Christian dogma, God is "all knowing".  Which means God knows more than just potential outcomes, He knows what the actual outcome will be.

That's why, IMO, anyone saying an "all knowing" and "all powerful" God has no responsibility for "evil" is trying to eat their cake and have it too.
      December 26, 2017 2:36 PM MST

One of the problem in not being a believer in God (I expect there is and actually been actually only one---so I capitalize it), is that you don't have the concepts that are necessary to comprehend how logic can explain the nature and workings of that God to those of us who are convinced He exists.

Thus, free will, predestination (which is real), and an "all knowing" and "all powerful" God seem inconsistent and perhaps even inadvisable (assuming that God acts according to the same questionable human principles we do and with the same feeble understanding of reality that we humans usually display) seem to make no sense to you.

That is not a put down---if you do not think the supernatural exists, how could you possibly claim to understand what is reasonable and what is not in that realm if you judge it by principles that may not apply there in the same way that they do there.

You are assuming a one to one mapping of what you know here to anything else that might exist.  

Possibly a dangerous or misleading assumption. This post was edited by tom jackson at December 26, 2017 4:14 PM MST
      December 26, 2017 4:13 PM MST

Free Will and Predestination are incompatible.
    If you are predestined, you do not have free will.
    If there is an "all knowing" god that granted his creation free will ... he would know the outcome of that free will.  But that doesn't make it predestination.

IF predestination IS true, that means God willed those outcomes ... including evil ... and thus God is 100% responsible.

Again.  I was raised in the church and was taught the concepts they use to explain the nature of god.

December 27, 2017 8:01 AM MST

As I said, in your position, you cannot understand what is reasonable or not in a natural realm that is wholly contained in a supernatural realm.

And being raised in the church is no substitute for having formally studied theology.

Apologetics is useless when trying to explain to those who have already made up their mind to the contrary.

If you are content in your understanding of what you think to be reality, I need say no more.
      December 28, 2017 1:27 PM MST

God created the Earth,  the life on it....the things we create are on us.
      December 22, 2017 7:06 PM MST

That would be the shortest BIBLE on earth now, wouldn't it?

Why does everything have to be so cut and dried?

No.  That is not the way of anything.  God is there for us.  He is there.  He is here. He is in us and around us and to just say he threw a bunch of stuff together and let us go is ludicrous.

December 22, 2017 7:45 PM MST

• We are responsible for what we do to this planet and the effects irrespective of whether God created it or not.
      December 22, 2017 11:33 PM MST

No - God continues to have input. 
      December 26, 2017 7:18 AM MST

We are part of God. We co-create.  We have free will of a sort. 

God lets our life lessons take shape in the form of obstacles.  It lets us build and shape our character, which is the blueprint of our soul. 

If we screw up and let desire and greed take over?  Then we drag our soul down to the physical and we forget the real purpose of the soul.  To uplift.

So, it's time for all of us to remember what and who we really are.

December 28, 2017 1:32 PM MST