Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » God creates a car. You can win the Indianapolis 500 with it or kill someone because you were drunk when driving. FREE WILL rocks, right?

God creates a car. You can win the Indianapolis 500 with it or kill someone because you were drunk when driving. FREE WILL rocks, right?

Posted - December 22, 2017

Responses

• All I can say is that man has always been a free moral agent in his choices. Good, bad or indifferent.
      December 22, 2017 2:34 PM MST

Exactly! Thank you for your reply ub and Happy Thursday to thee! :)
      December 28, 2017 1:42 AM MST

God created humans...humans created the car. We are responsible for our actions.
      December 22, 2017 7:22 PM MST

Bingo! Thank you for your reply m2c and Happy Thursday to thee! :)
      December 28, 2017 1:42 AM MST

Just about anything can be used to kill someone, from a rock to a playing card. It's not the instrument that kills, it's the person wielding said instrument that kills.  
      December 22, 2017 8:58 PM MST

Here's the backstory to the question LC. An Answermugger says if God creates all and knows all He is the one ultimately responsible for everything humans do. Which I think is bullsh** and I kinda told him so. With that argument he removes all accountability/responsibility for human actions. He takes us off the hook so to speak. He neglects to consider POTENTIAL within which there are many possible actions/outcomes.If we are fated to do/say what we do/say from birth then what's the point of striving for anything or trying to become better people? What's the point of life if we are simply pieces on a game board whose moves are predetermined/controlled? I think I'm gonna ask that question. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! ;)
      December 28, 2017 1:41 AM MST

That is a very confusing area. Some say God has a plan for all of us, some say we, as humans, have this thing called free will. If God has a plan, there is no free will, if there is free will, God has no set plan. Thinking about this and trying to figure it out for too long can result in a migraine. 
      December 28, 2017 4:27 AM MST

I LOVE to think about and discuss stuff like that LC. I do. It keeps my brain from becoming petrified from lack of use. It is an imponderable question and life is full of those. What is the meaning of life? What is my purpose here? Are we just pawns on a huge game board being moved about by another/others? Are we living a MATRIX life dreaming about what we think is reality and never knowing any different? There was a movie about reality starring Jim Carey. He lived life  for many years never knowing he was the star of a TV show being beamed around the world and all the people in it were actors assigned different roles. It was and is very thought-provoking. How can we KNOW anything? Some folks believe they have the answers  to everything. All cut-and-dried and not open for discussion. No wiggle room anywhere or acknowledgement that maybe their view could be wrong. That's not me. I have very definite opinions about a lot of things by I am open to all possibilities, all potentialities. If it makes sense I will consider it. If it doesn't I won't. Now of course what I consider is dependent upon my ability to think. I can't go beyond those limitations. But it keeps me hopping and interested and curious about everything as you probably have observed by now. Thank you for your reply. I have had headaches in the past but I don't think I've ever had a migraine. They're supposed to be very  painful. I can do with having personal knowledge of such things. This post was edited by RosieG at December 28, 2017 4:42 AM MST
      December 28, 2017 4:37 AM MST

The Truman Show is the name of that movie, and it was very thought provoking. One of my closest friends loves discussions such as that. We have sat for hours discussing the marvels of the Universe and human behavior. We bounce things off each other all the time and keep each other on our toes. We were discussing the Bible the other day and how it has contradicting verses all through it. We both agreed that you can 'cherry pick' you way through it to make your argument on any subject.  It's nice to have a friend like this. Even though we don't agree on all things, we are still very close friends. 
      December 28, 2017 4:51 AM MST

Thanks LC. The name of the movie escaped me but it was indeed thought-provoking and also frightening. It meant that everything he experienced was a lie. Imagine realizing that? I'm gonna ask. Thank you for your thoughtful reply. So you agree that talking about such doesn't really give you a migraine, right?
      December 28, 2017 5:39 AM MST

I may have overplayed that just a wee bit. :) It can be perplexing to try and figure some things out. There can be too many variables, and everyone has their on opinion on how to decipher things. I have learned over the years that a group of people can all look at the same object and all of them give different descriptions for it. 
      December 28, 2017 7:30 AM MST

Of course. That's what's so nifty.  I often ask very simple questions. It is the answers that enhance them/uplift them/make them into something valuable which when left alone were not. People see things differently and that is the point of exchanging views. As long as you do it with civility and not insult (which some do) then everybody wins. Chances are your opinions won't change but there is always also a chance you will learn something new that is of value to you. That's one of the joys of conversation LC. For me. Think how boring life would be if everyone saw everything the same? And think how much narrower the world would be as well. There are some things that will never be resolved no matter how much we talk about them. Thank you for your reply! :)
      December 28, 2017 7:41 AM MST

That's why there's laws against drinking and driving. If you go out and get someone killed with your stupid choices, that's your fault, not the car's fault. Then you will face the consequences for the stupid choice you made of your own free will and it's up to you to clean up your act. If not, then be prepared for harsher punishments.
      December 28, 2017 12:02 AM MST

BINGO! EXACTAMUNDO Patch! I can't even almost imagine what it would be like to drive drunk and kill someone. How do you live with that considering it didn't need to happen and YOU caused it? You can never atone for it. You can swear to remain sober the best of your life and never take another drink and it won't matter at all. You will always have taken a life due to your idiotic choice and lack of common sense. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday to you! :)
      December 28, 2017 1:36 AM MST

I wouldn't be able to live with something like that, at least drunk me even knows to stay away from my car and I won't go out drinking if I'm going to be the driver.
      December 28, 2017 1:43 AM MST

Precisely! No one is saying "don't drink". Drink what you want when you want. Just don't get behind the wheel of a car when you are in any state that isn't 100% sober. Simple. Easy. SIGH. Thank you for your reply Patch. I wonder how many folks die at the hands of those who are drunk as skunks and thought they were sober enough to drive? I guess I could Google it. Thank you for your reply! :)
      December 28, 2017 1:55 AM MST

I won't drive even if I've only had a little bit of alcohol. Mostly because I'm a lightweight and get tipsy pretty quick. I'm also paranoid about getting pulled over and having them find out I've had some alcohol and that certainly won't be good, so I just don't do it at all.
      December 28, 2017 2:01 AM MST

Ditto sweetie. Me too. Even a glass of wine with dinner. Mostly we dine in so it's not a problem. But whenever we have gone out it's with friends and there is ALWAYS a designated driver. We take turns and it's no hardship. It's just common sense. Is there less or more of it these days than before? I'm gonna ask. Thank you for your reply Patch! :)
      December 28, 2017 2:34 AM MST

God has the ability to create a car but how would we be able to tell if a particular car were created by God?  Free will I think is using our God-given freedom for ourselves rather than to praise and honor God.  Cars are a convenience so we use them but perhaps we tend to forget that they are dangerous machines so must be used very carefully.   Racing cars is very dangerous but has an audience because people like to see the speed and the danger and people wrecking and getting hurt or killed.  They are using there freedom to watch such spectacles.  If there were no audience there would be less people using there freedom to race cars although it would not disappear completely because there are enough drivers who get addicted to the rush of speed and danger.  Most drunk drivers I would think don't want to kill people so they are not using their freedom to do that but it happens because they are not careful either in getting drunk or in controlling their cars while drunk.  All of which is irresponsible and of course has nothing to do with God but our own imperfections. 
      December 28, 2017 4:58 AM MST