Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Some cities are much more violent than others. Is yours? What is the cause and is there a cure?

Some cities are much more violent than others. Is yours? What is the cause and is there a cure?

Posted - December 23, 2017

Responses

Mine isn’t, but there are commonalities among cities that are overly violent.
    Lack of jobs and opportunities, poor local government, ignorance or low education, and the proliferation of bad role models; all of which close off the path to productive livelihoods. The seeds of poverty and anger. 

One cure would be a better standard of parental involvement and supervision. Keep the young’uns off the corner and on the straight path. But you can’t legislate good parenting, and or make kids who are left to look up to local miscreants care who the mayor or the police chief are. 

Another would be a really effective education system, some places have them, but the real-life inner city environments of these violent places don’t because they can’t keep good teachers. This post was edited by Don Barzini at December 24, 2017 6:17 AM MST
      December 23, 2017 6:45 AM MST

The powers that be don't value education. They sneer and chortle and ridicule intellect. They want everyone as dumbed down as possible because you can contro dumb a whole lot easier than you can intelligent SIGH. Thank you for your thoughtful reply Don B and Happy Sunday to thee! :)
      December 24, 2017 6:34 AM MST

Size has much to do with it here in the good old USA.

New York City - lots of crime

Los Angeles - same

Chicago - same

Phoenix where I live - same

The larger the population of the city, the more likely there will be more criminals in the mix.

December 23, 2017 8:04 AM MST

Thank you for your reply Sharon. I'm not a big city gal. Suburbs suit me better. Small neighborhoods where folks know one another and watch out for one another. The city is a good place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. Where have I heard that before?  :)
      December 24, 2017 6:31 AM MST

Mine is as safe as any can get. It's not that big of a town and most everyone knows everyone else. We have a few petty crimes now and then, but nothing major. 
      December 23, 2017 8:09 AM MST

I think maybe folks are less likely to attack those they know than they are strangers so maybe there is safety in SMALL numbers LC. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! :)
      December 29, 2017 1:59 AM MST

I do believe you are right about that. It also pays to have nosy neighbors, you know your things are being watched whether you're home or not. My next-door neighbor is looking out her window more than she is looking at her TV. Bless her heart, she's as sweet as she can be and she really keeps her eyes on what's going on around our neighborhood. 
    Happy Friday to you too.  
      December 29, 2017 4:23 AM MST

Our across-the-street neighbor Wilma has become a dear friend. Her kitchen window looks out on our street so she is always watching out for us. Thank you LC. I'm gonna ask a question about 2018. It's right over the next hill! :) ((hugs))
      December 29, 2017 4:25 AM MST

I'll be looking for it. :)
      December 29, 2017 4:40 AM MST

Thanks LC. It's out there! :)
      December 29, 2017 5:11 AM MST

Mine is not the best, but it's not the worst either. 
    There are surrounding areas that you learn not to go into and if you stay out of them you will probably be OK.
      December 23, 2017 1:03 PM MST

I think that's probably true of everywhere Lulu'sMom to one degree or another. Thank you for your reply! :)
      December 24, 2017 6:16 AM MST

The closest city to me is pretty bad from what I've heard. Lots of shootings over there. Then there's a meth problem in the boondocks where I live.
      December 27, 2017 11:55 PM MST

How close is it to you Patch? A "meth" problem? Is that Methadone that drug addicts take to wean themselves off drugs or is that something else? Thank you for your reply! :)
      December 29, 2017 2:01 AM MST