Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Does excessive emotion indicate deeper devotion? Do those who are loud attention-getters care more about something than those who aren't?

Does excessive emotion indicate deeper devotion? Do those who are loud attention-getters care more about something than those who aren't?

Do those who engage in a huge display of grief really love the dearly departed more than those who sob quietly or not at all?  Does loudly proclaiming how devout you are (a la Roy Moore) really indicate deep beliefs or is it all for show to impress/hook/convince? Where does the performance end and the human being begin as he/she removes the mask and show us what he/she REALLY is absent playacting to an audience?

Posted - December 28, 2017

Responses

Well, not everyone grieves the same way. But it is annoying that some people seem to think I don't care just because I don't express it. Some people are just more introverted so they tend to be more quiet and subtle about how they feel. I would appear to be cold and distant because I'm too busy screeching and crying inside my own head.
      December 28, 2017 5:13 AM MST

Me too  Patch. I was so broken and crushed when my dad died I froze. During his funeral I actually was "talking" to him in my head. I think I was a little out of my head between thee and me but the only way I could stand being there was to pretend it wasn't a funeral at all. So I was stone faced and inside in my mind I was chatting away to him. Of course he didn't answer. I look back on that time and wonder how I ever got through it. It took me six months to stop crying whenever I saw a family on the street with a Dad. I was 20 so I was an adult but that was in January 1960 and I still remember the pain from it to this day. My dad was only 54 and he took a nap before he went to work and never woke up. Now when my mom passed she was in her mid-90's and had a variety of things going wrong so we expected it. I think making a spectacle of oneself for show for any reason is disgusting. Thank you for your thoughtful reply! :)
      December 28, 2017 5:24 AM MST

• People react differently. When my sister lost her husband she held herself together pretty well. It can appear cold, but I think it’s just being strong. I’m sure she was hurting on the inside.
      December 28, 2017 5:25 AM MST

Excess emotion is just self-indulgence. 
      December 28, 2017 5:31 AM MST