Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Holidays » How is it soon to be 2018 if you are a Godless Atheist and believe our Lord and Savior Christ never existed?

How is it soon to be 2018 if you are a Godless Atheist and believe our Lord and Savior Christ never existed?

By what rationale can you celebrate?

Posted - December 30, 2017

Responses

Why should anyone require your Jesus H Christ to celebrate the start of a new year?
      December 30, 2017 9:34 PM MST

Render unto Caesar the physical Calendar and the spiritual Calendar is earned in a far different manner.

December 30, 2017 9:52 PM MST

When it comes to rendering unto Caesar the calendar, I imaging that both the Chinese and the Muslims to mention but two, would have something to say about that.
      December 31, 2017 1:02 AM MST

Not to mention the Hebrew calendar, on which the year is 5779.
      December 31, 2017 9:06 AM MST

Huh? How could you possibly know that?
      December 31, 2017 7:28 AM MST

Believe it or not, atheists are some of the most noble creatures just by virtue of NOT HAVING TO DO ANYTHING GOOD and yet, and YET?  Many of them are.  Good people.  With no agenda.  For no better reason than it resonates within for them to just be and appreciate the time they have.

That is NOBLE.  I honor that.

And deep down, no one can convince me they are really atheists anyway just by virtue of the mere fact that they cannot prove there is no God either.  They hang on to the "fact" that GOD cannot be proven.  So, then how can they NOT cling to the opposite end of that same spectrum.  God can NOT be disproven either, so it swings both ways.  If you cannot believe in God because?  THERE is no proof, then you don't get to not believe in Him either.

Therefore, all atheists must actually be simpy Agnostics. (kidding, Agnostics are cool)  I am not getting into why just now.  But I do have a good answer.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 31, 2017 7:50 AM MST
      December 30, 2017 9:48 PM MST

How condescendingly generous of you, Sharonna. I had no idea you had such a superior, holier-than-thou attitude about Christian beliefs.

The onus rests on those who believe to prove that god exists, not on others to prove god doesn't exist. The lack of proof that something doesn't exist does not constitute proof that it does. If it did, then unicorns would exist simply because nobody can prove that they don't.
    This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at December 31, 2017 6:17 PM MST
      December 31, 2017 11:53 AM MST

This particular atheist does not believe in any god for the very simple reason that there is no justifiable reason to believe in one and a sh1tload of justifiable reasons to believe every holy book ever written is nothing but the writings of power hungry individuals, after all they cannot all be right but they can all be wrong.
      December 31, 2017 12:59 AM MST

Because I want to and you can't stop me.
      December 31, 2017 5:35 AM MST

Atheists could  celebrate by making up their own calendar but no-one knows when atheism began so might as well let the 'Christian' calendar suffice if there is no objection. 
      December 31, 2017 5:58 AM MST

There have always been non-believers, why else would every Holy Book set such grim penalties for Unbelief? 
      December 31, 2017 7:06 AM MST

Some atheists are smart enough they can figure it out for themselves. 
      December 31, 2017 6:42 AM MST

The current calendar, known as the Gregorian calendar is the internationally recognized civil calendar, was adopted in 1582 and introduced into the Catholic (Western) regions of Europe where, one country at a time over centuries, it became the standard of the western world. 
    The Gregorian calendar, named for Pope Gregory XIII, is a refinement of the earlier Julian (Roman) calendar, and is one of many annual calendars in existence (it’s 5779 by the Hebrew calendar), but since most of us live in a “Western” culture, it is necessary and entirely practical to follow the same calendar as the rest of our fellow Westerners. Simply put, it’s what we have, and it’s accurate to within minutes of the actual solar cycle, Christ notwithstanding. 

Perhaps you have seen the growing secular references of CE (Common Era) and BCE (Before Common Era). This modern accounting offsets the religious (and inaccurate) connotations of the traditional BC and AD. 

The Christ myth might be a scant more convincing if the founders of Christianity actually had an accurate date of his birth. It is stated in scripture that Christ was born DURING the reign of King Herod, who we know died in the year 4 BCE, because of its accounting on the Julian calendar. We can also easily extrapolate that Dec 25th, celebrated as his “birthday” is merely Christian forebearers painting over long-established Pagan festivals of the winter solstice, to draw those Pagans into the Christian fold.
    It seems appropriate now to wish a Happy Saturnalia to all. 

”It has served us well, this myth of Christ” -Pope Leo X

We live in the Age of Information. Present some real facts to support your hold on myth and fewer people may find cause for Atheism. This post was edited by Don Barzini at December 31, 2017 12:42 PM MST
      December 31, 2017 7:03 AM MST

*Christian FOREBEARS.
      December 31, 2017 7:22 AM MST

While you are correct Stu, the two words are interchangeable. But good looking out. ;)
      December 31, 2017 7:29 AM MST

How can it not be? Time and calendars exist independently of religious beliefs, just as do death and taxes. And what gives you the right to call anyone "godless?" What makes your beliefs superior to those of others?
      December 31, 2017 7:26 AM MST

Hasn’t it always been a theological imperative (and more than a little expedient) for believers to mock and shame unbelievers wherever possible, but ”Heresy” for us reciprocate ? 

Personally, I find it ironic and amusing. 
      December 31, 2017 7:38 AM MST

Oh atheists have God but they just don't acknowledge God. 
      December 31, 2017 7:32 AM MST

That is an inaccurate assessment.
      December 31, 2017 7:39 AM MST

• I celebrate the solstices and equinoxes.
    Here down under, the year begins with the winter solstice variably around the 22nd June.

Muslims, Jews, Parsis, Hindus and Chinese celebrate their separate religious or cultural calendars, but use the Common Era calendar for business, politics, law, journalism, history, education and science.
    The C15th Gregorian calendar turned out to be the most practical and convenient because it derived from Copernicus's discoveries and proofs of the cycles of our solar system. Since then, it has been found by science to be the nearest best possible approximation of the duration of the Earth's rotation around the sun. The actual duration varies slightly and cannot be divided into equal parts, so that at wide intervals, official adjustments are necessary.

As for choosing the date of Jesus's birth as the start of the Common Era - even Christian scholars know that no-one knows the exact day when Jesus was born. Dec 25th was chosen arbitrarily because it was closest to ancient European celebrations of the Winter Solstice, but sufficiently apart to differentiate it. 

I don't celebrate either Xmas or Easter, but I do wish happiness to Christians, in the same way I wish happiness to all others at their sacred or special times. I also ask, "how is this time special for you in your spiritual practises and renewal?" which can lead to some wonderful conversations. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 2, 2018 12:50 PM MST
      December 31, 2017 7:10 PM MST

not sure
      January 1, 2018 3:47 PM MST

God is good to everyone, good or bad, rich or poor, god-fearing or atheist. He provides for everyone and doesn't deprive the much needed oxygen for the fact many don't believe in his existence. (Matthew 5:45)
      March 27, 2018 11:39 PM MDT