Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Slartibartfast
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » If a human designed Earth, made land masses in fixed position -prevent earthquakes, volcanoes, etc what other improvements might been made?

If a human designed Earth, made land masses in fixed position -prevent earthquakes, volcanoes, etc what other improvements might been made?

Shape the landscape somehow to make fresh water flowing in ways so to prevent any vast arid wastelands maybe..
Human design might not be perfect but could have made our planet a better place to live.

Posted - January 1, 2018

Responses

Human design will always be far from perfect. It cannot fully take into consideration the unexpected and does not take into consideration at all the unforeseen. Human rigidity of design constantly becoming obsolete to other designs contrary to the fluid self changing adaptability of nature standing the test of time shows which is closer to perfection. This post was edited by O-uknow at January 1, 2018 1:41 AM MST
      January 1, 2018 1:22 AM MST

How old is Earth now? Seems to be failing the test of time with all the earthquakes happening,  possibility of a supervolcano,  tsunamis et al.
      January 1, 2018 1:40 AM MST

Fascinating question.

The earth has never been perfect. Think about it. Mass extinctions, hurricanes, continents ramming into each other raising mountains, arid deserts and enormous expanses of undrinkable water. 

There are a number of SciFi flicks out there that broach the idea of manmade environments. Elysium comes to mind.

I think there might be a qualifier added into your statement that we “could have made our planet a better place [for us] to live”. I don’t see a world designed by humans that contains 250,000 kinds of beetles, nor poison sumac, mosquitoes or locusts, for example. Nor would such a planet be more sea than land. 

Making the most of arable land would be a priority in this endeavor, and ensuring the continuous supply of fresh water to all regions would be critical. Processing of our wastes and recycling cannot be left to the whim and budgets of local jusidictions, but would have to become a planetary imperative.
    Entire regions would be zoned off according to their intended uses and available resources. Here, I believe, is where the majority of wildlife would meet its judgment. If creatures don’t serve as food, amusements or work animals, they may not make the cut. 

I am an engineer by trade and I could go on, but just presenting some broad ideas on the subject. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at January 1, 2018 8:56 AM MST
      January 1, 2018 6:16 AM MST

Maybe it would require several humans to design Earth -an engineer,  an artist,  a biologist.. but not too many people or they will be fighting and arguing about stuff. 
      January 1, 2018 8:10 AM MST

Yes, expertise in numerous disciplines would be called upon. Kinda makes the possibility of a single Universal Creator that much less plausible, doesn’t it?
      January 1, 2018 8:40 AM MST

God has to be either perfect or not exist. You can't make up a story about a perfect God  then try to blame mankind for causing all the trouble. 
      January 1, 2018 9:08 AM MST

But that is the general theme as it applies to man’s deities:

We are born sick and commanded to be well. The flawed products of perfect omniscience. Oh, don’t get me started...
      January 1, 2018 9:44 AM MST

'We are born sick and commanded to be well'
    Well Sir this is your lucky day, I have here the solution to all that ails you, for a measly 10% of your income for life (tax deductible) and the promise that you will bring up any offspring to do likewise. Unfortunately I can offer you nothing in this life other than the crosses to plant on the graves but I guarantee you that after you die you will have eternal life in the company of the one who created you sick. Please Sir do not miss this golden opportunity for eternal salvation (Terms & Conditions apply), for if you do not sign up you will be damned to eternal suffering in a pit of fire.
      January 1, 2018 10:33 AM MST

Oh, wow! Quite an offer. Let me think...
    I gotta die to redeem this? Hmmm. 
    Can I see the customer reviews first? 
      January 1, 2018 11:04 AM MST

There are no reviews, all our customers are so happy that they do not want to return here simply to write a review but I promise you that if you follow our applicable T & C and are not fully satisfied then all you need do is return and our organization will offer you a full refund.
      January 1, 2018 11:33 AM MST

I’ll pass. Too hard to book a return trip from hell. 
      January 1, 2018 11:43 AM MST

So somewhere an infinitly old and wise beetle with a long white beard is sitting on his throne is looking at the earth admiring his wonderful Creations ?
      January 1, 2018 8:59 AM MST

...and laughing
      January 1, 2018 11:14 AM MST

• Its very good as it is.
      January 1, 2018 7:07 AM MST

Earth was designed much like the way humans were -not exactly perfect. 
      January 1, 2018 8:23 AM MST

• Maybe perfection is something that always has and always will be out of reach. Maybe searching for perfection is our biggest fault as humans. 
      January 1, 2018 8:28 AM MST

Both Earth and ourselves are 'work in progress'.
      January 1, 2018 10:35 AM MST

I live in an area that originally was a big swamp. It covered parts of 3 states. That swamp has been drained and mostly fertile farmland remains. So I think mankind improved this part of the world long ago. 
      January 1, 2018 7:58 AM MST

not sure
      January 1, 2018 1:56 PM MST

In the beginning god created the heaven and the earth. This angered a lot of people and is generally considered to be a bad idea.
      January 1, 2018 5:52 PM MST