Active Now

Element 99
Slartibartfast
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Language » I know the word cracker is intended to be a racial term. If you were called that, would you be offended?

I know the word cracker is intended to be a racial term. If you were called that, would you be offended?

This was inspired by another question. 

Posted - January 4, 2018

Responses

Why?  I AM that.  I am.

I am a white woman.  CRACKER through and through.

It's better than being called hillbilly, white trash and skank.  None of which I am.  Just a cracker-ass cracker is all.

January 4, 2018 4:30 PM MST

I wouldn't be offended. 

PS -  That kinna looks like a whole wheat cracker, donut? Lol
      January 4, 2018 4:37 PM MST

LOL.  Yes.  That cracker must be a little Mediterranian or Mexican or something.

January 4, 2018 4:38 PM MST

I think we're gonna need a paternity suit. 

January 4, 2018 4:45 PM MST

i might be
      January 4, 2018 4:30 PM MST

It's not always a derogatory term: https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/07/01/197644761/word-watch-on-crackers 

I'd care more about the thought behind the use of the word than the word itself. 
      January 4, 2018 4:35 PM MST

If you could get in the head of the one who said it. 

Tbh, I think the majority of those that say it aren't caucasian. If that is the case, then you would probably know what was in their head. 
      January 4, 2018 4:40 PM MST

When I did my four months in prison, I was called a cracker. I didnt know what it meant so I just replied, not yet, the commissary isnt here yet. ;+ 
      January 4, 2018 4:36 PM MST

Four months huh.  What is the longest stretch you have done on the slammer?
      January 5, 2018 2:58 PM MST

No offense here.
    But I called a black woman a cracker once and she came unglued. I did not know what it meant. I used it to called people crazy..."cracked in the head "= "cracker"
    Lol 
      January 4, 2018 4:37 PM MST

LOL!! :)
      January 4, 2018 4:39 PM MST

Oh noooooo. That's one heckuva way to learn it, huh
      January 4, 2018 4:48 PM MST

Luckily she was a friend realized I wasn't being a smart a**, I truly did  not know. 
    At first she was like: I ain't no cracker, you the **** cracker.....

It is still makes me laugh to think about it after 18 yrs. 
      January 4, 2018 6:48 PM MST

At least you didn't say that to a stranger. They woulda really crackered you up side the head. 
      January 4, 2018 8:22 PM MST

• Well, it's not exactly a compliment, but then neither is it a racial slur. It points more to a way of life than it does a racial or ethnic appellation.
      January 4, 2018 4:46 PM MST

Not really. It just makes me think of one of my favorite snacks.
      January 4, 2018 5:27 PM MST

• I've never heard it as a racist term.
    Other than an American word for a biscuit, I have no idea what other meanings it has.
      January 4, 2018 8:56 PM MST

Crackers are white. There are many mames for them:  cracker in the Southern US, "white trash" or sometimes "Trailer trash" in the north, In remote rural areas they as "Mountain men" (like Lil'l Abner).

Benjamin Franklin, in his memoirs (1790), referred to "a race of runnagates and crackers, equally wild and savage as the Indians" who inhabit the "desert[ed] woods and mountains"
      January 4, 2018 10:33 PM MST

Floridians call themselves crackers, so no, no offense at all.   I've heard for several days many people say..."It's just too cold for this cracker." 

Florida Cracker
    Rare, Endangered, and Threatened Species. Florida Crackers are native born Floridians who speak a unique language. It is a language spoken from the heart that anyone can understand. True Florida Crackers have at least one lineal descendant who was also born in the Sunshine State. Florida Crackers feel comfortable shucking oysters, telling stories around a campfire, riding horses, spending time in THE SWAMP, grilling out large steaks, and they possess sophisticated humility. Florida Crackers have a kinship with other fellow Florida Crackers and they can communicate nonverbally. Florida Crackers are resilient, courageous, and very self-sufficient.
    Governor Lawton Chiles was a proud Florida Cracker.

Steve Spurrier was born in Miami and embodies the traits of a Florida Cracker.  

UrbanDictionary.com
      January 5, 2018 1:03 AM MST

been called that
    been called worse
      January 5, 2018 2:30 AM MST

I have never figured out who is supposed to be a cracker. At one time I thought it might be white people, but then I thought maybe it's a person who uses crack, or maybe someone who is cracked in the head. I don't hear the term very often.
      January 5, 2018 4:38 AM MST

My dad's called myself and my two older sisters his little crackers from the moment we were born......he still does amongst other things and it's quite an endearing term in southern England........

I'm not offended by much......it's more a case of sticks and stones really.....
      January 5, 2018 3:54 PM MST