Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » What's the coldest weather you've ever experienced? At Mt. Washington, NH it was 36 below zero/wind chill factor 90 below! Who can survive?

What's the coldest weather you've ever experienced? At Mt. Washington, NH it was 36 below zero/wind chill factor 90 below! Who can survive?

If you were unfortunate enough to have to be out in it how long would you survive before you died?

Posted - January 6, 2018

Responses

Chicago had some 60, 70 even 80 degree below zero windchills.   I know, I lived through them.  Chicago is very windy. 

Chicago has enjoyed warmer than average temepratures this week, making it easy to forget just how cold it can get in January. On this date 30 years ago, however, Chicago experienced its coldest day in recorded history.

Temperatures dropped as low as 27 degrees below zero on Jan. 20, 1985, according to the NBC 5 meteorologist Andy Avalos. The wind chill temperature was even more brutal at 80 degrees below zero, as wind chill temperatures were calculated at that time.

Today, wind chill temperatures are calculated differently. They used to be measured with a device similar to a metal can, which recorded far colder temperatures than a human would. This means that frigid day in 1985 would have felt more like 55 degrees below zero as wind chill temperatures are measured now. This number rivals wind chill temperatures from the coldest days of last year's Polar Vortex when they reached the 40-below-zero range.

On Tuesday, exactly 30 years after that cold day, the temperature is expected to reach nearly 40 degrees, which is the above the average of 31 degrees. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at January 7, 2018 7:40 AM MST
      January 6, 2018 2:00 PM MST

Thank you for a thoughtful and comprehensively informative reply to my question Sharon and Happy Sunday! :)
      January 7, 2018 7:41 AM MST

dont remember exactly but it was below 0
      January 6, 2018 4:31 PM MST

Wowzers! I can't even handle temperatures below 60F.
    The coldest I've experienced was 19F but I stayed in my cozy house.
      January 6, 2018 6:29 PM MST

When I lived in Massachusetts wind chill took the weather down to below zero! Here in Hemet the coldest we've experienced is 26 degrees F. Thank you for your reply Patch! :)
      January 7, 2018 6:13 AM MST