Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I s'pose it's legal. Can a criminal pardoned by a prez run for political office? Who would vote for tainted/tarnished goods and why?

I s'pose it's legal. Can a criminal pardoned by a prez run for political office? Who would vote for tainted/tarnished goods and why?

Posted - January 9, 2018

Responses

Apparently so, after a quick perusal of "executive clemency" on the internet.

Apparently it's a defined status concept---Trump fits my definition of a criminal in any meaningful sense of the word and yet he was elected (albeit by the minority) and was able to carry the electoral college.

Forest Gump:  Stupid is as stupid does.

Aristotle:  First you are and then you act.
      January 9, 2018 11:12 AM MST

Except I'd take Forrest Gump over doofus don any day of the week and gladly! He had a good heart, good intentions and amazingly pulled off some extraordinary things during his life even though his intellectual acuity  was quite limited. He fathered a brilliant little boy. He saved his Sergeant's life. He left good tracks. He started a shrimp company. He participated in some of the great historic moments of our lives. If he were in the configuration of Tom Hanks all the better. I bet you agree tom. Forrest Gump looks awfully good to me right now. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 10, 2018 11:26 AM MST
      January 10, 2018 3:08 AM MST

Apparently a Prez pardon does not remove the offense from the criminal record, so it may be difficult. 
      January 10, 2018 8:02 AM MST

I can't speak to whether it remains on his criminal record (I simply don't know); but even if it does, essentially the practical result of a pardon is that it restores all the rights a person had before his conviction---and thus allows a person to run for and hold an office if elected.
      January 10, 2018 11:35 AM MST