Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Which alive human being do you nominate to deliver us from evil? Why?

Which alive human being do you nominate to deliver us from evil? Why?

Politicians are out. They are the ones putting us at great and dangerous risk. Who is in?

Posted - January 13, 2018

Responses

Kate Humble ...president of the RSPB in England....one fiesty Lady......lol
      January 13, 2018 6:38 AM MST

I'm gonna Google her NJ. Never heard of her but if she is a feisty gal she is my cuppa tea. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday to thee!   :)
      January 13, 2018 7:02 AM MST

Kate's a wildlife tv presenter.......I think shes also an environmentalist ....she flits about all over the world like a birdy.....lol 
      January 13, 2018 8:12 AM MST

I don’t think we do any good by contending that there is one single person anywhere who could wipe clean the slate of “evil” that confronts us. It trivializes the problem. It also saddles our selectee with an insurmountable expectation. 

What is needed is a reboot of the thinking that got us here, and the unity of purpose to support it, but people don’t respond well to abrupt change, and tend to go on defense when their ideals are scrutinized. Our current “leadership” is as plain an example as one could describe. 

Like with economic recovery, the onus is on us, the masses, to affect change by our own actions, making our elected officials respond to us, not us to them. This post was edited by Don Barzini at January 13, 2018 10:04 AM MST
      January 13, 2018 6:51 AM MST

No knight in shining armor? No Superman? Dam*! How about a Deux ex Machina? I hate to be the one to tell you this Don B but your "reboot of the thinking that got us here" isn't possible. Racism is not rebootable. It  has been released and is now out of the box just like all the evils were released from Pandora's Box. You might as well try to put the toothpaste back into the tube. That is impossible.  I also take exception to your suggestion that economic recovery is up to us. When social safety net programs are attacked and gutted people are harmed. They have ZERO control over that activity. Well you can say we can vote them out but that does no good right now when the gun is at your head and their finger is on the trigger. $1.5 trillion that the "cut cut cut" bill cost raised debt and has to be reduced and Paul Ryan knows exactly where to find it. Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid. It has been his dream since college and he doesn't try to hide it. He said his goal this year is to "work on" entitlements. That is code for gutting it by $1.5 trillion bucks for beginners. We cannot make them respond to us. We vote for those whom we believe will do what they say they will. We cannot MAKE them do anything once they're in office. We can keep electing different folks hoping they will come through for us but they won't. They never do. They service those who will help get them re-elected. First last and always. That is why the "cut cut cut bill" was developed and passed. Because the donor class used extortion to threaten the hapless gutless greedy pols. It was an OR ELSE ultimatum. They wanted their tax cuts OR ELSE they were going to pull all future contributions. So of course it passed and the donor class is richer and happier and the greedy spineless witless pols will get more contributions for future re-election. The racist donjohn LIED about it saying it didn't help him at all. That his rich friends were mad at him. That it was going to mainly help the middle class.  Bullsh** lies ! And so it goes. This is nothing new. This is business as usual. Which is why I'd very much like to find someone who will deliver us from evil. D'ya know if Superman is booked all year? He seems like a good guy. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 13, 2018 7:18 AM MST
      January 13, 2018 7:15 AM MST

Racism has been a static presence in our world since the first tribe saw the second tribe. It hasn’t “been released” it has been exhibited, once again, by the forces of ignorance and hate. 

I would point out the “safety net” has as yet not been gutted, and its existence in the first place is due to the unified purpose of the people who vote. There is no argument, the system IS broken, but it is not realistic to expect those who flourish within that system to seek to change it, absent sufficient pressure from without. Any change, like the economic turnaround of the last few years, will by necessity arise from the steady plugging away of the little people who advance their own causes by unifying their efforts, over time.

Further, as one who is NOT in a 39% tax bracket, your low opinion of rich people in general is painted with too wide a brush. A tinge of prejudice can be seen there. This post was edited by Don Barzini at January 13, 2018 10:00 AM MST
      January 13, 2018 7:37 AM MST

We shall see what happens. Being a static presence versus an active outward purposeful ideology sanctified/glorified/promulgated by the president of the United States? That is new. As for the social safety net programs. If Republicans have the ability to gut it they will. They believe those who use entitlements to get through life are lazy welfare bums who want handouts. Of course the tax cuts for  billionaires are the same thing. Handouts for lazy welfare bums who didn't work for it and worse, DON'T NEED IT. Our positions on this issue are somewhat apart. They need not be close. Time will tell which scenario prevails. I'm very old. I doubt I shall live to see the day it changes. Thank you for your reply DonB.
      January 13, 2018 7:44 AM MST

True enough.  Our entire political/election process has been hijacked, not so much by the Russians as by politicians and corporate interest groups.  In what parallel universe are corporations "persons?"  Elections are bought and paid for by those with a lot of money and the people who can change that - the politicians - are the very ones who benefit most by it, so it will not change.  How is it that most every politician winds up wealthier when he retires than when he was elected, and I don't mean from the speaker's fees he is paid? 

We can vote out everyone in office this minute and the only thing that will achieve is having a new set of crooks representing themselves rather than us.  We no longer have any power over those who govern us, so it doesn't surprise me that so few people actually vote. 
      January 13, 2018 9:59 AM MST

Its a spiral, Spunky. (The alliteration not intentional)
    The worse our govt gets by way of inattention, the fewer who want to pay any attention, the worse still it becomes. 

There is a distinct class that fills the ranks of high elected office in this country, most countries. They have all the inroads and connections, went to the right schools or worked for the right companies. There is always money to spread around, and endless channels to pass it through. 
    We can’t expect them to change the rules to their own detriment. 

Maybe it’s too late? This post was edited by Don Barzini at January 13, 2018 2:36 PM MST
      January 13, 2018 12:24 PM MST

No, they will not change the rules to their own detriment.  However, that is what would need to happen if we want to get a truly representative government.  Elected posts should not be compensated other than for travel expenses and expenses directly related to their duties and they should be prohibited from lobbying permanently after leaving office.  The best people are not going to be known because they don't have the funds to put themselves in the public domain.  If campaign funds were distributed evenly to anyone who wishes to run for a high office, you would get an entirely different group of candidates.  Maybe, even some would be more interested in the welfare of the citizens than their own welfare.  Term limits is another thing that should be mandated. 
      January 13, 2018 2:39 PM MST