Active Now

Malizz
Maurice214
Element 99
Stu Spelling Bee
Discussion » Questions » Family » From personal observations, people from which country, culture or sub-culture spoil their children the most? ~

From personal observations, people from which country, culture or sub-culture spoil their children the most? ~

Posted - January 13, 2018

Responses

Tis an impossibly hard question to answer that! Very intellectual, as it involves analysing all sorts of variables. 

I think... many cultures other than my own have a head start on the spoiling and idolising and placing so much store in their kids. I am thinking of maybe Chinese, they are very, very close knit families, with much store being placed on the kids doing well and looking after parents.. but I think they are probably very hard on their kids in terms of pressure. Ditto the Japanese.. many of them are spoilt, with all the technology you can think of, but many of them grow up isolated and unhappy...  

Or maybe countries like Sweden?

Perhaps Italy and the bambinos, they tend to be very passionate and loving....

Truth is.. I don't know!  Did you guess? 
      January 13, 2018 2:35 PM MST

• If "spoil" means to give in to tantrums, I doubt if any culture or nationality is much better or worse than any other.
    If it means to fulfill every whim, wealthier countries would be more prone.
    I think it depends more on the parents' values, experience and awareness.

I think some cultures tend to use much more corporal punishment and have an abusive style of communication.
    I find this most likely when the people have been subjected to intense trauma,
    such as the generations of Ottoman persecution of the Greeks and Armenians.
    But a certain person with her own corner is the exact opposite, 
    a perfect example that it's a mistake to make assumptions based on someone's origins.
      January 13, 2018 3:15 PM MST

Where do you think we are that people have actually observed children from another country? I have not even observed children in my own country, except a small number in this or that church. Americans apparently don't let children leave the house alone any more.
      January 14, 2018 2:31 AM MST

You didn't know that there are some people in the world who have been to places other than their own countries?

:|
      January 14, 2018 6:24 AM MST

If you don't count refugees, very few people ever leave home. In USA people tend to move if they get a better job offer or some such reason, but even at that they still average only about 18 miles from where they grew up. And it is somewhat unusual in all countries for children to be seen outside of homes, schools, or churches.
      January 14, 2018 3:50 PM MST