Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » You have received a warning that an incoming ICBM is headed directly for your city. You have little time to act. Where do you go?

You have received a warning that an incoming ICBM is headed directly for your city. You have little time to act. Where do you go?

Posted - January 14, 2018

Responses

I live just a little more than 30 miles from South Dakota's 5th largest city and I don't think it's really important enough for anybody to bomb so I'm not that worried about it but my husband and I do have an emergency plan if that kind of warning ever gets issued.  The first thing is to get all of the animals into the barn to protect them from fallout as best we can.  The second thing we would do is shut off the outside power to the house.  The reason for that is if a nuclear weapon explodes high enough in the atmosphere it would cause an electro-magnetic pulse to travel through the power lines and unless the power's disconnected it would fry everything in the house that's plugged in.  Then we would go to the fallout shelter on my property and basically wait until it's safe to come out which might be never but we have enough food and water down there to last a long time.
      January 14, 2018 7:47 AM MST

Thank you for a very thoughtful and extremely informative reply to my question Liv. I really appreciate your sharing it with us. You have an excellent plan m'dear. So you have a "fallout" shelter on your property?  Has it always been there since the decades ago "cold war"? As a kid we used to have "duck and cover" drills in school. You dropped to your knees beside your desk and put your arms over your head. I doubt that South Dakota would be anyone's target. I mean  it's not like Washington, DC, New York, Los Angeles. I had no idea about the electro-magnetic pulse and what it would do. I'm glad you are so well-prepared. I guess if you survived the blast the radiation would hang around for a long time and that would kill you. The false alarm in Hawaii yesterday brought the possibility of that to front and center. Happy Monday Livvie! :) ((hugs))
      January 15, 2018 2:18 AM MST

The fallout shelter on my property was apparently built sometime in the 60s.  Ellsworth AFB in South Dakota maybe someone's target which is 320 miles west of me so if that happened which I hope it doesn't then fallout would be a problem for me. This post was edited by Livvie at January 16, 2018 2:39 AM MST
      January 15, 2018 3:14 PM MST

Oh. You have a military base nearby. I wonder Liv if every state has a military base? I think I'm gonna Google. I would expect they would be among the primary targets. Hit those bases and retaliation would be crippled. At least I think they would. I sure hope we don't find out. I guess you heard about the false alarm that panicked Hawaii for about an hour. Well that was bad enough but what happens if/when it's real? Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday!  :)
      January 16, 2018 2:41 AM MST

I suppose I would head for the basement of my apartment building which, at one time, was a designated bomb shelter.  However, I doubt there are any provisions stored there now, so I would have to take some water and food with me.  If the attack was nuclear, it wouldn't matter where I went, I would likely not survive anyway.
      January 14, 2018 1:28 PM MST

The false warning of an incoming ICBM in Hawaii brought us to the realization that it can happen at any time..the real thing, not an error as was the case. I think when they hear the warning sirens in Honolulu they have 15 minutes to get to shelter. My son is a college professor and teaches at the University of Hawaii in Manoa so that report got my attention immediately and of course I was terrified. They showed pictures of people running to find shelter at UH and people going down manholes. With dreggy donjohn  in charge the possibility of nuclear war is always imminent. He is a crazed beast who is wounded and has to be taken down before it's too late. By impeachment or resignation or being convicted of high crimes and misdemeanor and tossed in prison. Whatever it takes.  A mental breakdown? Thank you for your thought reply Spunky and Happy Monday! :)
      January 15, 2018 2:25 AM MST

I'm sure those folks in Hawaii were terrified, especially with all the rhetoric being tossed back and forth between Trump and Kim.  I can see why you would be concerned and, fortunately, it was not real.  The danger is that should it be real one day, will people heed the alarm? 

Last night, on 60 Minutes, one of the segments was an interview with an American physicist who was invited to North Korea six or seven times to see their nuclear facility.  By his account, the NK's are far further along than we at have suspected.  Worse, satellite photos show the facility above ground, fully obvious, with a blue roof which set it apart from all the nearby buildings, and no one seemed to know it was there.  They are enriching uranium in much larger quantities and far faster than we have been led to believe.  That is pretty scary to me.

Edited to add this link to the 60 Minutes comment:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/042d6e00-a1bc-36f2-af20-43f100dc363d/ss_the-american-scientist-who%27s.html This post was edited by SpunkySenior at January 16, 2018 2:43 AM MST
      January 15, 2018 8:44 AM MST

We always record 60 Minutes in case we are otherwise occupied. I haven't watched it yet but will. Thanks for the head's up Spunky, your thoughtful reply and the link. Wonder what awaits us today? Fingers crossed today won't be THE DAY the world ended!  Happy Tuesday!  :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 17, 2018 3:23 AM MST
      January 16, 2018 2:44 AM MST

I think we may be safe for today.  Tomorrow is another story!  Happy Tuesday. :)
      January 16, 2018 2:10 PM MST

Today was tomorrow yesterday. Think we're safe today? We are still very occupied with "SH**HOLE" so maybe the orangehead will continue on lying about what he says he didn't say that he did. Hohum. Boringly predictable. SIGH. Thank you for your reply Spunky and Happy Wednesday! :)
      January 17, 2018 3:25 AM MST

So far, we're still safe, I believe.  Happy Wednesday. :)
      January 17, 2018 9:40 AM MST

Honestly, I wouldn't go anywhere. I don't think I would want to be a survivor of a nuclear attack.
      January 17, 2018 9:47 AM MST