Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » What button can I press to stop it.

What button can I press to stop it.

Every so often, but with great frequency, my computer tries to download Microsoft system updates. First I get a benign message asking me whether now, some later date, or at some pre-specified time/date. I choose the open ended option. Sooner or later it puts me in a corner and I can't get rid of the download request without specifying now or some soon to come time. Eventually I have to bite the bullet anyway. There is no way to avoid it or banish the request.
The download of the Microsoft Update takes over your computer of course. It drags on and on for hours and hours. 'Download 7% complete',  'Download 10% complete', then half an hour later, 'Download 13% complete' etc. etc. Sooner or later I come back and it has seized up completely.
I do a hard restart, no other option because no access to control bar, and it says 'recovering download' or somesuch term, then it continues. Later on it seizes again, hard restart, and again, another hard restart, what are all these power breaks doing to my poor computer? Sooner or later, typically reading 80% or so downloaded, it does not continue downloading at power-up, but instead reports - 'recovering previous version of Microsoft'.
I lose my computer for a day and at the end of it I do not have the promised update. But I am happy to not have it, and just wish to not be offered any more downloads that have no refusal option.
You'll notice I have swept this grumpy outpouring here to erase all bad language and disparaging of computer fiends of uncertain parentage. Good job eh, or it would be no more AnswerMug for me.

Posted - January 14, 2018

Responses

Change browsers
      January 14, 2018 1:45 PM MST

Changing browsers wont help. Changing operating system might.
      January 14, 2018 3:24 PM MST

Often, the updates are needed for security purposes.  It is possible that the reason yours takes so long when you finally agree is that it needs to upload ALL the updates at the same time.  You would be better served to update when they appear and get t over with.
      January 14, 2018 1:55 PM MST

Except there will be a new one next week. They do not stop and they carefully avoid asking if you want any of it. Lately a lot of them have been about features for mobiles. That pretty much ruined Windows Media player for me because the playlist display default suddenly got set to "Show only last 5 played". Searching on the web I found a number of forums where people frantically asked "Where did all my playlists go?". But no helpful answer from Microsoft.
      January 14, 2018 3:20 PM MST

I don't get that many updates from Microsoft, but I upload them as soon as they show up.
      January 15, 2018 12:46 AM MST

I get 2-3 every month. maybe it is because I have Windows 10. They put everything in there, bet I can find a kitchen sink too.
      January 15, 2018 1:05 AM MST

I have Windows 10 also. 
      January 15, 2018 1:09 AM MST

No update has ever downloaded. They all eventually lock up the computer then I get a message saying the earlier version is being restored.
      January 14, 2018 4:58 PM MST

Hmmm ... then I'm sorry I can't help you. 
      January 15, 2018 12:45 AM MST

Click Start
    Control Panel
    Windows Update
    Change Settings

Select your preferences

OK
      January 14, 2018 4:06 PM MST

Jewels - windows update does not appear as an option in the control panel list of options. Maybe this is a different system to yours.
      January 14, 2018 4:42 PM MST

I am using Windows 7 and Windows Update is the last option in the list. If you are using Win10, you should go to https://www.howtogeek.com/ for advice on how to get along with it. I followed their advice to avoid getting stuck with Win10.
      January 15, 2018 2:51 AM MST

Thank you for that tip, Jewels. I'll pass that name to someone I know who's not on here (as far as I know!) but suffers similar frustrations. He tells me WIN 10 gives no options for controlling up-dates. (Though to be fair he appears to be in an area supplied by very low internet speeds, down in fairly modest kB/s rates.)

My ISP is BT Broadband and its home-page has a continuous link to a section dealing with Windows 10 starting-menu problems!

My PC uses WIN 7 Pro - I fell for MS' blandishments to install 10 for free, and it was a disaster. Even after reverting it to 7 I had a Hell of a job restoring my 6 or 7 web-site registrations that W10 had deleted.

I think Microsfot has lost its way, and no longer cares two hoots about we users (even if it ever did), only about our  money.
      January 16, 2018 2:54 PM MST