Active Now

Shuhak
Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Weather » Either positively or negatively, how much does the weather play into your decision to live where you currently live?

Either positively or negatively, how much does the weather play into your decision to live where you currently live?

For instance, I was born and raised in a place that has about nine months of cold, snowy weather every year. I vowed never again would I live in such a place, so since age 18, I've only been in snow a few times, and only for extremely short periods of time, either minutes, hours or a day. 

How about you?

Posted - January 16, 2018

Responses

• California's warm temperate weather is a major reason why I haven't left (and don't intend to any time soon). I hate the cold, I don't want to deal with snow and blizzards, and I like that isn't humid. The snow is just a couple hours' drive away in the mountains if I want to see it, but I'm glad to be in a warmer climate. 
      January 16, 2018 12:14 PM MST

Positively.  
    I grew up where it rained so much, people called in sick when the sun was shining.  It was to the point where I didn't own anything grey.  No grey sweatshirts, no grey anything.  ONLY bold colors.  I swore I would never live where it rained so much again.  I have held to my word.  Granted, there have been places where it rained everyday but only for an hour.  Then it cleared and made for beautiful sunsets. :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at January 18, 2018 3:26 AM MST
      January 16, 2018 12:29 PM MST

No. It's the same all over Scotland; dreich.
      January 16, 2018 1:15 PM MST

• Ari and I moved up to the Northern Rivers from Sydney about 16 years ago.
    There were many reasons for the choice of place, but one was preparation for climate change.
    We believe that this sub-tropical zone, about an hour inland from the Pacific, and 100 m above sea level, will give us the best chance of survival.
    The altitude means we would not be stranded on an island or in swamps when sea level rises about one meter.
    We can grow our own food, and erect movable shade-cloth shields to protect it. 
    Cyclones are becoming more violent, more frequent and more erratic.
    In that time, we have experienced the worst drought and the worst floods on record and within the memories of the oldest citizens.
    But the changes elsewhere on our continent are worse.
    Bushfires (like your recent Californian wildfires) have been destroying the temperate wildernesses and farmlands.
    The Murray-Darling river system has been drying up. It supports the largest area of agricultural production in Australia.
    In the tropical zones, the cyclones are doing greater damage because the building codes are not designed to withstand the greater velocities.
    The average temperature across Australia has been 1ºC above normal for 5 years in a row. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 19, 2018 9:16 AM MST
      January 16, 2018 1:19 PM MST

The climate is the main reason I choose to live here.   There's no oppressive humidity in the summer, no cold arctic blasts in the winter, no tornados, no hurricanes, no ice storms, no floods and what little hail that falls is usually pea-sized.  It has 4 distinct seasons (mild springs and autumns, cool winters and warm summers).  It averages roughly 3 inches of snow per year (although large snowfalls aren't uncommon), 50 inches of rain in the winter; 47 hours of below freezing temperatures (nights only) and about 6 hours above 100 F per year - perfect to grow all kinds of crops.  
      January 16, 2018 1:35 PM MST

I used to live in San Francisco. Too cold and damp for me. I moved with my late husband to South Eastern Georgia and the weather is perfect for my liking. Seasonably warm , and very short winter. We wore short sleeved shirts at xmas. 
      January 16, 2018 2:51 PM MST

Short answer...I have lived all over so nothing phases me anymore. MAN UP, PEOPLE.
      January 16, 2018 3:23 PM MST

Quite right we need to toughen up in case the Russians come and send us to Siberia and our eyelashes freeze.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/16/thermometer-worlds-coldest-village-breaks-temperatures-plunge/ 
    This post was edited by Malizz at January 19, 2018 9:17 AM MST
      January 16, 2018 3:47 PM MST

To never see snow again, once I leave here, is an achievable goal.  Do not like the "seasons" as those who were raised here say.  Warm weather all year long is my cup of tea. 
      January 16, 2018 4:52 PM MST

The weather stays roughly the same all over England......The north of England and Scotland cops for a bit more worser wever though.....
      January 16, 2018 5:15 PM MST

I don't like hot weather and I live in South Florida.  It is great down here in the Winter.  I spend part of the Summer somewhere else. We are deciding where to put a Summer cabin  (think mountains or Northern shore).  It's too hot in the Summer, plus that's hurricane season; I didn't enjoy Irma.
      January 16, 2018 5:20 PM MST

I like being warm, if that's what you mean.

I like snow. On Facebook. From southern Arizona.
      January 16, 2018 6:55 PM MST

• The weather was  not a factor in my decision to remain in the south. I love it and will remain here regardless of any weather conditions.
      January 17, 2018 9:58 AM MST

Here is a pic taken last February. That is a team of crop pickers at the end of the street.

January 18, 2018 3:10 AM MST

That is my Little Free Library on the sidewalk. It suffered some damage and I replaced it with a steel tool cabinet and put up a patio umbrella to make it look more inviting. Last Christmas I bought all the teddy bears at all the thrift stores and dressed each one with a "Reading Buddy" tag. I put one out each day. As Christmas neared, I found a note written in a clumsy script saying "I want a bear" and signed "Jessica". So I took my last bear, commandeered a kid to show me where Jessica lived, and I put it in her hand. She was so blown away that she couldn't say "Thank you." Somebody else had to say it for her.

January 18, 2018 10:10 PM MST

Kudos! 
      January 18, 2018 10:19 PM MST

I was born and raised in Minnesota and I live here in spite of the weather.  Minnesota is a great place to live and we like to think that the cold weather 'keeps the riff-raff out'.
      January 18, 2018 3:40 AM MST