Active Now

Shuhak
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Why isn’t venison a major industry in the US?

Why isn’t venison a major industry in the US?

Would it be possible to supply enough venison to make it a regular fast food item, like if Arby’s wanted to have its venison sandwich available all year? Is it even legal to raise deer?

Posted - January 17, 2018

Responses

• Because venison isn't that good lol. At least it wasn't when I had it. 

Here are some reasons why venison is hard to get right: https://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/articles/12-reasons-why-your-venison-tastes-like-hell

January 17, 2018 9:14 AM MST

I don't care for it either....tastes like old beef that has been in the freezer for years.
      January 17, 2018 9:25 AM MST

I love venison, but prefer to cook it myself.  I would never eat it from a fast food outlet. 
      January 17, 2018 1:02 PM MST

Venison is my favorite meat. But it's just too good to be an everyday thing. It would get boring if I could eat it whenever I please. It's kind of like how I rarely watch my favorite movies because I don't want the goodness to wear off.
      January 17, 2018 9:03 PM MST

There are a lot of things to consider in animal husbandry.  The cost of suitable feed, conversion ratio of feed to marketable meat, the percent yield from each animal, growth rate, fecundity, survival rate, susceptibility to disease etc.  My guess it the figures just don't add up.  They do raise rain deer in Scandinavia though.
      January 17, 2018 10:30 PM MST