Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » SIGH. So how y' all doin' today? Anyone on the east coast buried in snow? Are all schools closed?

SIGH. So how y' all doin' today? Anyone on the east coast buried in snow? Are all schools closed?

Posted - January 17, 2018

Responses

I am not on the east coast but we do have snow and school is cancelled. 
      January 17, 2018 12:23 PM MST

Thank you for your reply m2c and Happy Thursday to thee! :)
      January 18, 2018 2:33 AM MST

Just a very light dusting in SE Pa. this morning.  Nothing to brag about.
      January 17, 2018 12:41 PM MST

Wow! Heard yesterday that from the Carolinas to Nova Scotia there'd be tons of snow, flights would be cancalled and schools closed! Not happening? Thank you for your reply PeaPod and Happy Thursday! :)
      January 18, 2018 2:34 AM MST

They forecasted a mix of rain and snow today in NYC, but so far, it's only rain. 
      January 17, 2018 2:02 PM MST

Some newscaster somewhere sure played it up big Spunky. Said that from the Carolinas to Nova Scotia the east coast was gonna hit with so much snow that flights would be delayed and schools closed. Is that still not true? If so good. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      January 18, 2018 2:36 AM MST

The southeast was hit with a lot of snow.  As you may imagine, the warmer climate states have little ability to deal with snow.  Arkansas, North Carolina, New Orleans, Nashville among others, were hit badly enough for there to be a number of vehicular accidents on the interstates and schools did close as well as flight delays occurred. 
      January 18, 2018 10:32 AM MST

Gee Spunky that's really sad. Thanks for the update. We don't get as good an assessment  on the west coast. Of course I don't have the weather channel on right now either! Appreciate the info and I'm glad you're doing okey dokey! :)
      January 18, 2018 11:06 AM MST

We have been snow-free for the past week or so, but it's been bitterly cold.  It's supposed to be warming up a bit today and over the weekend, but today it's overcast and unless the sun comes out, I don't see it getting much warmer.  It's about 32 degrees now and with the wind chill, feels like 23.  On the plus side, it isn't very windy, so it's not that bad. :)
      January 19, 2018 8:26 AM MST

That's COLD Spunky! We're cooling off too. Our high today is supposed to be 65 and tomorrow it will drop down to 57. Compared to your weather that's balmy!. We were promised rain for today but once again we got stiffed! That wind chill is a doozy, I think you know I lived in Massachusetts for 5 years and boy oh boy the cold would go right through you to the bone! I read that there  was a terrible windstorm in western Europe, particularly in Germany. From the video I saw it was incredibly dangerous. Thank you for your reply and hope your day is smooth as silk Spunky! :)
      January 19, 2018 8:46 AM MST

It IS cold, especially when you're standing outside waiting for the bus.  It's not bad if you're moving.  I'll take your temperature any day of the week - that's my comfort zone.  I did see that story about the windstorm.  There were gusts up to 90 mph and one guy got blown right off his bicycle while crossing the street.  Even semi-trucks were blown over!
      January 19, 2018 8:53 AM MST

I think you saw what I saw! Scary! :)
      January 19, 2018 9:50 AM MST

I think so.  Very scary.
      January 19, 2018 1:02 PM MST

:):):)
      January 20, 2018 3:15 AM MST

Cold as hell here in Texas---by Texas standards at least.

And my curiosity got the better of me, so I looked it up: (Quora)

"As hell" has become a generic intensifier, like "very" or "really". It's an example of an extreme thing, and it's used to make anything sound extreme, especially if that thing is negative or emotionally intense. One would not say "beautiful as hell" (though it does get used ironically), but "fast as hell" is common.

"Cold as hell" would seem an oxymoron if people bothered to look into it etymologically, but they don't. They just use the intensifier generically. (I don't think they're generally considering Dante's vision of the ninth circle of Hell as cold.) 
      January 17, 2018 4:27 PM MST

Very kind of you to look that up tom and share the info with us. I have found so many of the phrases (aka cliches) people use are nonsensical gibberish. But people use them anyway in serious ways as if they are brilliant observations. For instance "when you point a finger at someone 3 are pointing back at you!" Seriously? First of all it is figurative. No hand or digit is involved at any time. Second and most importantly you are bringing attention to something or someone. All done verbally. Hands not needed. Pointing out and pointing at are not the same thing. SIGH.Thank you for your reply and Happy  Thursday. I'm pretty sure not too many folks have read Dante's Inferno. If they did they very likely were taking classes in literature and it was an assignment . :)
      January 18, 2018 2:42 AM MST

No. All the snow from our "bomb cyclone" storm of two weeks ago has melted. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at January 19, 2018 8:47 AM MST
      January 19, 2018 8:31 AM MST

Thank you for your reply Stu Bee and Happy Friday to thee! :)
      January 19, 2018 8:47 AM MST

You as well!
      January 19, 2018 8:48 AM MST