Discussion » Questions » Business » If I live in a vehicle, can I avoid paying for both home and car/boat insurance?

If I live in a vehicle, can I avoid paying for both home and car/boat insurance?

That sounds like the life.

Posted - January 25, 2018

Responses

No.  That does not sound like the life unless you are a wizard at pimping your ride.

January 25, 2018 10:30 AM MST

With all the money I'll save, I'll be able to pay a chauffeur/helmsman and be perpetually traveling without ever having to leave the comfort of home! That's even better than becoming a wizard-pimp!
      January 25, 2018 10:37 AM MST

What an interesting and scary picture.
      January 25, 2018 10:34 PM MST

RV, house boat, Skoolies.
    You can live in all of those with only one insurance policy.  
      January 25, 2018 10:42 AM MST

A skoolie, yes, ingenious--that's the kind of thinking we need.

All aboard the MuggerTugger!
      January 25, 2018 10:45 AM MST

Of back in my day, we just called it a camper. Lol
      January 25, 2018 10:49 AM MST

• You still probably have to pay car insurance if you are going to drive it around.
    Where would you park to sleep?
    If you live in a warm place you may be ok, but it still seems dangerous to just sleep in a random parking lot every night.
    You need a property to park on, then you might as well get a trailer so you can have a bathroom and more space etc.
    Personally I don't think living in a car or van would be the best life especially here in Canada.
    We need constant heat in the winter.

If you're honestly going to do it get a camper van I guess, but in the long run it would probably get tiring finding places to park and shower and use the washroom and not having a refrigerator would suck too.

Good luck anyway. : )

January 25, 2018 12:04 PM MST

If I drive at night, which is smoother anyway, I can safely park during the day while all the normies are at work. There will be parking space aplenty, and then I'll only be cold-vulnerable during peak sunlight!

Showering, washing, refrigerating? What are fountains and vegetables for? This post was edited by Danilo_G at January 25, 2018 3:07 PM MST
      January 25, 2018 12:14 PM MST

Truck stops have showers. 
      January 25, 2018 2:07 PM MST

• I like the driving at night part and living on a separate schedule from the rest of society, but I think it's going get really hot in your vehicle during the day.
    Also people who work night shift end up with health problems sometimes.
    So being up every night could be a problem eventually.
    I don't think it's very healthy to live that way forever.
    Maybe you could park it in a parkade out of the hot sun everyday while you sleep, but they usually cost money to get into.

You need food and water.
    I guess you could drink bottled water and go into the grocery store everyday to get something to eat.
    You might get away with washing yourself in public restrooms somehow.
    You could soap up your clothes and run through a spray park to wash them too.
    : )

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 25, 2018 12:35 PM MST
      January 25, 2018 12:25 PM MST

How did I not think of the spray park thing myself? We should team up, you and I.

I mean, not for the soaping thing but maybe for the shifts.
      January 25, 2018 12:40 PM MST

• Thanks, but I hate shift work.
    I used to be a guard at a jail and staying up all night was terrible.
    I was so tired.
    Hey, come to think of it that's probably the cheapest way for you to live honestly.
    Go to jail, they provide everything.

Just kidding, jail is horrible.
    I did see the police pick homeless people up who were out on the highway in really cold temperatures and they just let them sleep in the cell overnight.
    Maybe you could be a cop and sleep in the cells at night and go to a diner for free coffee and donuts everyday?
    That's efficient living. : ) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 25, 2018 12:56 PM MST
      January 25, 2018 12:53 PM MST