Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » How can I get my son to stop putting away my coffee creamer?

How can I get my son to stop putting away my coffee creamer?

My oldest son and I have an ongoing battle. I leave my coffee supplies on the counter next to the coffee pot... makes sense because I'm there every 60-90 minutes using them. However, he's in the kitchen eating a lot, and almost every time I go back in for a cup of coffee, my stuff has been put away. Aside from gluing it to the counter, which I am totally doing tonight, what are some creative ways to get him to stop?

He says he's putting it away, and that I should too, because it's not in use, but I can think of dozens of things he doesn't put away or clean. :/ And, this has been going on for a year or more. Gah!

Posted - January 27, 2018

Responses

Ok, I confess.  I have him working for me.  My goal is to slowly wean you off of the black death.  You'll thank us for it someday, even though you don't like it now.

~
      January 27, 2018 10:20 PM MST

Aha! Just as I suspected. I told everyone that's what was happening, but they called me a crazy conspiracy theorist. Now I have proof!
      January 27, 2018 11:25 PM MST

Yeah, right; between the two of us, I'm the one who's in the wrong here.

~
      January 27, 2018 11:29 PM MST

Is it your house or his?
      January 27, 2018 10:45 PM MST

It's mine, but I think using that as leverage is a bit extreme. It's a matter of wills. We do all kinds of stuff to mess with each other. This just happens to be his thing for me until I find a way to nail him for it. 
      January 27, 2018 11:26 PM MST

Too funny!  Here are some ideas: 

Go to your nearest hardware store tomorrow morning and buy some yellow "CAUTION " or "Keep Out" Rolls they put on construction sites.  Tape it on the inside of your cupboard where the creamer usually goes.  Or, just put a strip of masking tape or duct tape on the inside of the cupboard.  That way when he goes to put it away, he will be blocked at the pass. 

Rearrange your cupboard and put a bunch of dishes where the it used to live.  He won't have a clue as to what to do.

You might not want to mess up your counter with the glue.  Instead, put it around the container.  When he goes to put it away, the creamer container will stick to his hand.  You have to remember you did this and grab it from the top when you use it.  Otherwise, it might backfire on you.

Buy an extra creamer and have it already in place.  When you are using one, leave it on the counter as always and when he goes to put it away, there will already be one there. 

Put the creamer in his room.  Since he has such an interest in it, maybe he would like his own.

Where the creamer usually lives, replace it with cleaning potions he might like to use in other areas of the house.  Like laundry detergent or scrubbing bubbles and a sponge.  He'll get the hint.  If he would like to clean, these things need to be cleaned too!

Put clothes he might have left on the floor in its place.  When he opens the cupboard, he will find the clothes he left on the floor.  It's those subtle hints that get them every time ;)

Leave a To-Do-List of things you would like him to help you with around the house in place of the creamer.

And last but not least, 

Just start using Baileys Irish Cream instead of regular cream!  It's soooo good!  You can put that in the fridge after you open it.  This will really confuse him and make you all the happier!  A win/win situation!!  

January 27, 2018 11:54 PM MST

OMG xD You are on a roll!!!

I have a hot glue gun, so it's removable. It'll just mess with him. I LOVE all the other ideas though. I am going to use them one by one. By the time I get to the Bailey's, I'm going to need it! LMAO
      January 28, 2018 12:08 AM MST

Awesome!  Please let me know how it turns out.  CHEERS!!

Thanks for the Pick!!  You just made my night :) :D!!
      January 28, 2018 12:25 AM MST

Does he pick up his own messes? Does he rinse his dishes? If so, you were a good mommy and taught him well. Give him a break on the coffee stuff.
      January 28, 2018 7:07 AM MST

We have chore lists. His job is to do the dishes and keep the kitchen clean. But, he's bad at the dishes. He lets them sit for 2-3 days at a time and then complains that there's too many. I usually tell him that if he doesn't clean, I don't cook... that usually gets him back in there to tidy. BUT... the coffee creamer is not part of the cleaning. That, he puts away several times a day, even though he lets the dishes sit. 

This is WAR. And, yes, I glued the creamer to the counter this morning. I'm waiting for the screams of frustration. :D

January 28, 2018 1:41 PM MST

Omg.... must annoy you 
      January 28, 2018 9:49 AM MST

As soon as he gets something out to use, put it away. Preferably while he's using it. He should take the hint.
      January 29, 2018 5:40 AM MST

Perhaps this is a sign that you should quit adulterating your coffee with fake cream. A true coffee connoisseur enjoys black, unsweetened coffee. At the least, you could use a real cream that should be kept in the refrigerator until your palate evolves.
      January 29, 2018 7:10 AM MST

So true JaneS!  That stuff is so bad, it would even insult a lousy cup of Folgers.   
    Coffee and its staining of your teeth and acidity to your stomach isn't bad enough for your body.  Anything that man made is known to be terrible.  It is.  I don't have the room to begin to write the negative aspects of the powder or the liquid stuff.  
    I wish she would look it up and stop using it.  I kind of like having her around.  Imagine your death certificate saying, Cause of death.  Fake Cream.

*Just a quick side note.  Even though I said awful things about coffee earlier, I do love the stuff and drink at least a pot daily.  I just brush my teeth a lot and have an addiction to Maalox.  It's a small price to pay to enjoy a great cup of coffee ;) :) This post was edited by Merlin at January 29, 2018 6:19 PM MST
      January 29, 2018 12:39 PM MST

Black and strong enough to stand up and fight you.
    If the spoon stands up, it's too weak. If it starts to dissolve, that's better, but when that spoon jumps out of the mug and runs away screaming in mortal agony, then it's PERFECT. 
      January 30, 2018 5:34 AM MST

just take away some of his priviledges until he decides to leave them there
      February 14, 2018 6:45 PM MST