Active Now

Spunky
Element 99
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Language » Why don't most people pronounce the first 'c' in the word arctic and the second one in Connecticut?

Why don't most people pronounce the first 'c' in the word arctic and the second one in Connecticut?

Posted - January 29, 2018

Responses

Asian baby drooling isolated on white background.
    Because we have lazy tongues.  Our speech pattern is affected.  It is taught at an early age.
      January 29, 2018 1:39 PM MST

Sheesh...another serious answer. Watch it, baby.
      January 29, 2018 1:51 PM MST

Pronouncing the first syllable in arctic properly and then switching to the t sound that begins the second syllable requires a different configuration of the mouth and tongue requires some awareness.....

A similar issue is present in the state name....

So I guess "laziness"  is a factor....

Neither word is a constant presence in my vocabulary, so muscle memory is not strong enough yet.

This post was edited by tom jackson at January 30, 2018 8:49 PM MST
      January 29, 2018 1:58 PM MST

• English pronunciation is full of so many exceptions that
    it is easier to say that the regular words are the exceptions.

In Australia, everyone pronounces the "c" in "arctic" and would do a double-take if they heard someone drop it.

Another example - ever since President Bush, Americans increasingly pronounce "nuclear" as "nucular."

I believe linguists do not consider these changes as mispronunciation but rather as language drift and evolution. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 30, 2018 8:48 PM MST
      January 29, 2018 4:34 PM MST

I have never pronounced it 'nucular' It shows ignorance. He dispronounced a lot of words.
      January 30, 2018 8:26 AM MST

• Thanks for pointing that out to me, Einsteinium.
    I know you have an excellent science background.
    So would you say that in the US "nucular" is the same kind of tell-tale clue as "aks" for "ask"?
      January 30, 2018 8:46 AM MST

Most people?  I never hear people leave those precious Cs out of those words. 
      January 29, 2018 6:49 PM MST

I pronounce arctic with the C, but I pronounce Connecticut, the first T with a D sound- Connedicut  This post was edited by Skunky Stinkerson at February 1, 2018 12:19 AM MST
      January 29, 2018 10:16 PM MST

• These are actually totally different cases. 

No one pronounces the second "c" in "Connecticut". It has never been pronounced that way. The Mohican word that the name comes from is "quinnitukut" and means "at the long river". There is no /k/ sound before the /t/ in that word. The extra "c" in the spelling is due to the influence of the word "connect". But it was never actually pronounced. Sometimes spellings are misleading. 

"Arctic" is a different matter. Here the /kt/ sound is part of the original word and considered the proper pronunciation. Those who don't pronounce it are simplifying the cluster of three consonants /rkt/ to just /rt/. To me it sounds uneducated and lazy. No offense. :)
      January 30, 2018 12:21 AM MST

No offense to me. I always pronounce it 'arktic.' I was hoping you would answer this one. This post was edited by Element 99 at January 30, 2018 8:47 PM MST
      January 30, 2018 8:28 AM MST

Truly insightful Nevan :)  I didn't know that about Connecticut.  In fact, sense I have never lived on the East Coast, (well the Florida Keys but I think that is a little different than what most people think of as the East Coast) I don't hear the pronunciation of Connecticut but rarely.  The state just doesn't make an appearance in day-to-day conversations.  I didn't know it came from a Mohican word.  It's a poor day when you don't learn something.
    I must say, and please take this in the most complimentary way. I don't like to generalize but I'm going to I'm afraid.  You sure are young to be so smart.  I mean being "Element Smart" is scary enough but to be that smart so young is amazing.  :)  Big giggles.  Thank you again for the little lesson about pronunciation and Connecticut.  My Grammie would be proud of you! ;)
      January 30, 2018 8:46 PM MST

not sure why
      February 14, 2018 5:38 PM MST