Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » How many different types of knots do you know how to tie? ~

How many different types of knots do you know how to tie? ~

Posted - January 30, 2018

Responses

Qute a few. Most of them of the type that crush the rope if you pull at them too hard, but also a few that do not like "hangman's noose"
      January 30, 2018 7:26 AM MST

At least seven. I have a special knot I use to tie hooks etc to my fishing line.
      January 30, 2018 8:03 AM MST

I need to learn how to tie a lot more different knots.....so far, she's been able to escape ALL of the ones I know.... This post was edited by stillhavingfun123 at January 30, 2018 10:28 PM MST
      January 30, 2018 8:27 AM MST

January 30, 2018 8:34 AM MST

Well....I meant tying her to the headboard....
      January 30, 2018 8:47 AM MST

Well, I meant she broke free from the ropes, escaped your secluded hideout in the woods, and is making a run for it toward the highway. 
    ~
      January 30, 2018 8:59 PM MST

• bowline on bight - to tie a rope halter on a horse so it can be easily released
    slippery hitch - to tie rope to post for easy release, also for dragging things on car tow bar or with tractor
    truckie's hitch - for tying heavy objects tight and secure on roof rack
    clove hitch - when I want the thing to stay put
    bow knot - for shoelaces and gifts
      January 30, 2018 9:22 AM MST

Granny, square, surgeon's, stopper, bowline, half-hitch and cinch knots.  Oh, and the half-ass.  I tie a mean half-ass.
      January 30, 2018 8:26 PM MST

Randy, are you being knotty again? 
    Knot that it surprises me ;) What are we to do with you?

I know how to tie knots in my stomach from stress
    I knew how to tie the knot with Don.  I only needed to learn that knot once.  I've sense forgotten.
    I can tie my shoes with a Bow knot 
    I can tie a Bowline knot
    A Slippery, Rolling, Clove and a Cleat Hitch
    A Square knot
    A figure 8
    An adjustable bend
    An artillery loop

Those are the knots I know by name.  I'm sure I know more but don't know what they are called.  I'm going to say, roughly, about 15 to 20 knots that are useful.  I also know how to do some decorative knots. 

January 30, 2018 10:56 PM MST

Knotty?  Moi?  This line of questioning interrupts my chain of thought so much that I can't concentrate on the string. It's very simple, you go from Point A, the question, to Point B, an answer. Instead, you are taking all these detours and side roads when you should be following the straight and narrow. Why don't you just queue up with the rest of the peanut gallery of hecklers if you don't want to make a bee-line toward answering the question?  
      January 31, 2018 6:06 AM MST

• "Cleat Hitch, Uni Knot and my shoe's knot."
      January 31, 2018 3:10 AM MST

About half a dozen. I was a Boy Scout, but I've forgotten a few.
      January 31, 2018 4:30 AM MST

zero
      February 14, 2018 4:48 PM MST

About 10 I think - including the (clothes) tie and the bow (shoe-laces).

I've never personally needed more than about 8 otherwise:

Reef

Sheet bend

Sheepshank

Clove Hitch

Bowline - and I should be able to tie a Bowline-on-the-Bight, which creates two adjustable loops, but don't practice enough to remember.

Figure-of-Eight

Round Turn & Two Half-Hitches

Prusik Loop (often wrongly spelt "Prussik" or even "Prussick" - it's named after its Austrian inventor, Dr. Karl Prusik).

Alpine Butterfly - with much thought and several attempts. Its simplicity is deceptive...

Also rather basic Square and Diagonal Lashing which may not be quite to the book, but works. I've tried to learn basic eye-splicing in 3-plait rope, but can never remember how to start it correctly! 

Some of those listed are Bends not Knots, but I forget the difference.
      August 31, 2018 4:44 PM MDT